Bernie’s SE5a – Eduard 1/48 ’Wolseley Viper’

Started by Paul Barber · 66 · 5 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    David Mills said 5 years, 6 months ago:

I am delighted you have picked up Bernie's build in this way Paul - well done.
    Some wonderful photos from Louis - a couple here I took of the SE 5A at the Shuttleworth last year - note the painted prop!

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Jeff Bailey said 5 years, 6 months ago:

I'm really happy this is continuing. Bernie would be happy indeed!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 years, 6 months ago:

David, those are some great photos ! I never thought about the prop being painted, but on some planes it was... Good catch !

Here's a few more of the basic wing airframe, before the covering was applied. These pictures may help you with detail painting of the interior, as the wood should be the same color.

Excellent work Paul...

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 5 years, 5 months ago:

Gents, the team feel continues - as I said elsewhere I've been out of action for a week with family commitments and this has been a joy to return to. However the build goes, the reference material is stunning!

• Profile Photo

So... after whooping cough, a family wedding where I had to double as photographer, and a job interview for the wife... I managed to have another fiddle with the small parts of the SE5a. As the inside bits gradually shape up I am aiming for a growth spurt here as we get closer to deadline!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 years, 5 months ago:

Sorry to hear about your bout with whooping cough... and I'm glad that you are better now. Family weddings and interviews can be very stressful. But if you try to make the best of things you can actually have some fun !

OK I'll turn in my "Man Card" now... 🙂

The progress you made looks fantastic... Bernie would be very pleased.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Louis, the dramas are subsiding so the builds are receiving more attention. Hoping for some progress this weekend, so up early on Saturday morning spraying some PC10 and doped linen from MRP. Goes on really nicely - thin enough to preserve the preshading. Airing on the side of a little more pre-shade for this one in attempt to keep the blocks of single colour broken up and the feel of wood and cloth. Here are three coats of PC10:

And a couple of doped linen:

And a little more construction on the interior.

With it being armistice weekend there is a little more impetus to this build currently.

• Profile Photo

First time building a WW1 subject, and first time building at the point of the minute's silence on remembrance day.

Tools Down.

One minute's reflection with a very slightly different focus.

• Profile Photo

Paul this is really shaping up now ! I especially like how you posted pictures of the painting process. You can gradually see the shift in color with each new coat of paint. Any more and all of the pre shading you did would not show up at all. You stopped painting at the exact moment you should have.

It looks excellent and Bernie would be proud.

Today I was standing in line at a restaurant when the minute of silence was here in our time zone. They were offering a free steak lunch to all military veterans which is a great way to show appreciation for our veterans.

At that moment I thought "we are standing on the shoulders of giants".

Freedom is not free. Some paid for it with the ultimate sacrifice of life.

There's a saying that goes:
    "All gave some, some gave all .".

• Profile Photo

Thank you Louis, sorry to be late in responding to your kind and serious words - spent most of last week between work and bed!

Minor update (as ever). I'm not sure what I did wrong but getting the fuselage to fit over the framework of the cockpit was a bit of a mission - I have been sanding and fitting on and off for days. Not usually an Eduard issue so I am sure that it is down to me. Maybe the oil paint used for the wooden frames was little thick. It is done now so I have primed the outside of the fuselage ready for a coat of paint. Will next be getting the end-game plan in shape to work out how to throw the whole thing together!

Mental note to self - 1/48 for WW1 fighters is too small! Kudos to those that manage these to great effect!

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 5 years, 5 months ago:

Great progress, Paul! That is a busy bench with the Lysander, Hurricane, and Spitfire sharing space with the Se-5a.

• Profile Photo

Thanks John. Yes the bench is too busy! I need to get some aerial wire onto the others, take some snaps and clear it off!

• Profile Photo
    David Mills said 5 years, 5 months ago:

Nice work Paul - lovely result on the wing fabric great colour!

• Profile Photo

I'm happy to see that you were able to button up the fuselage. The PC-10 and the Natural "Doped Linen" color looks wonderful as well.

Getting closer...and it looks to have some good company behind it in the background of the last photo.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 5 years, 4 months ago:

Shaping up a little, now. The fit is tight - as with Eduard’s recent kits. Takes a little thought but overall I’m growing into it! Some parts here are still loosely fitted.