Building the Imodeler Random Monthly kit Award….. 1/48 Airfix Boulton Paul Defiant

Started by Louis Gardner · 89 · 5 years ago · 1/48, 100 Years of the RAF, Airfix, Defiant, Imodeler awards
  • Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 years, 6 months ago:

David my friend... Thank you. It is turning out to be a great kit to build, and I'm pleased with how it has been turning out.

Peter,
    I appreciate the compliments... but your bridge building from scratch is a fine example of what the true meaning of the word beautiful is...

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 years, 6 months ago:

Tonight I made some very good progress on Daffy...

I decided that since I was spraying the matt clear on the two Hurricane builds, I might as well do the same thing on this one. Once it dried, I started assembling some of the parts that were ready to go.

Daffy now has legs... and wheels, and gear doors. I used some "Ultra Bright" Bare Metal Foil on the shock portion of the oleo struts. I think the resin wheels were a nice addition over the kit parts. Sadly the words "DUNLOP" are not all that visible since they are mostly blocked by the gear doors.

It also has a propeller, some exhaust pipes and some exhaust staining... The clear bits were un masked as well. The propeller and the exhaust were simply pressed into position. No glue was necessary. The fit is that good.

Since I had the rudder kicked off to Starboard, I decided to do the same to the tail wheel. This gives the plane a little more character. The tail wheel is a press fit and was not glued in position.

This last picture shows how Daffy looks at the moment. A little more work and I hope to have this one done soon.

Thanks for looking, and as always,
    "Comments are encouraged".

Good night...

• Profile Photo
    Craig Abrahamson said 5 years, 6 months ago:

Nice work as always, buddy - say...can I buy one of those shirts down at the airport..?

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 5 years, 6 months ago:

Stunning Stuff. I can’t find the words to be honest, Louis. This is another amazing build. The Matt finish has really set this one off. You have a style of your very own. There are a number of guys on here whose work you can pick out in a line up. Yours is unique and so sharp and clean. I’m in awe!

• Profile Photo
    David Mills said 5 years, 6 months ago:

Lovely work Louis, she's looking very nice, paint work and decals have come up beautifully - PRU spit looking great too!

• Profile Photo
    James B Robinson said 5 years, 6 months ago:

Really beautiful build here Louis. Very impressive.

• Profile Photo
    Michel Verschuere said 5 years, 6 months ago:

Excellent work Louis!

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 5 years, 6 months ago:

Well done Louis, the BP looks great and a great inspiration to get one soon. Excellent work.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 years, 5 months ago:

Thanks gentlemen for the compliments. Sorry for the late reply.

I was busy last night and had the "Iron Werks" fired up to full wartime capacity.

The clear parts for the Hurricanes and the BP Defiant were masked and painted using Model Master RAF Dark Green.

Here's a close up of the BP parts.

They are dry now and hopefully later today I can wrap this one up.

Thanks again everyone and I'll keep you posted.

As usual comments are encouraged.

Thanks for looking.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 5 years, 5 months ago:

Looking forward to how this comes out at the end. So far the Defiant looks outstanding as it is now.

• Profile Photo
    Jeff Bailey said 5 years, 5 months ago:

Louis, as we near the end of this build log, I can only say that this BPD is utterly fantastic! You have done the airmen who flew these great aircraft VERY proud. Not only has this been informative, it's been kinda fun, too. I never had any special interest in this aircraft but now I may have to get one. Of course, this depends on me getting my butt in gear and finishing my Tom Bebout F6F-3 and resurrecting my Crusader Mk.III, but that WILL happen. SOON!

I love the way that you use the BM Foil for the oleo portion of the landing gear. I've never used any - is it pretty thin? The finished look is excellent.

Bravo, my DAT Brother ... Bravo!

• Profile Photo

Thanks guys !

Yes Jeff, the Bare Metal Foil is quite thin. In fact it's much thinner than the typical house hold stuff used for cooking or grilling. It's pretty easy to use once you get the hang of it.

I'd like to see you finish up the Hellcat that Tom Bebout gave you. The Crusader would be cool to see finished too. Please post up a few pictures along the way if you don't mind buddy... That would be really cool to see !

They say that all things must end. Today the building journey on this one did. It only took me two years and a month to complete it after I received this in the mail as a gift from Martin and his staff.

Sorry fellows it took so long... I kept my word and posted the progress along the way.

Please follow along on these final steps.

Today I completed the turret.

and then installed it. Basically it snaps in place. I wanted to keep the turret open as if the rear seat gunner was ready to climb aboard.

Here's how "Daffy" looked immediately afterwards. The turret was a nice addition, and a sign that things were winding down. You will also notice the pilot's canopy is installed now.

Here's a close up of the turret: If you look closely, you will see the "doors" have ben added. They simply slid open sideways on the real one. Here they are in the open position and sit on top of the turret plexi-glass. I also dropped the "turtle deck" down in the retracted position. In most photos I have found with the plane sitting on the ground, this part is retracted when the turret is positioned off center with the four MG's off to one side.

On the real plane this allowed the gunner a greater field of fire when it was retracted.

The landing lights were given the Bare Metal Foil treatment. I carefully added a tiny drop of dark gray paint to the very center to duplicate the center of the bulb where the filaments are located. The clear lens was added and these were done. Check another thing off the list... Notice the pitot tube is yet to be installed.

Then I turned my attention to the little things that normally get broken during a build.

"Daffy" had a semi retractable rear lower antennae. This was necessary when landing as the wheels supported the aircraft. In the "flight" position, it was longer and would be damaged if it didn't retract when the plane landed.

The forward lower antennae was fixed. You can barely see it in these last two pictures.

I also added the pitot tube and clear wing tip lights. These wing tip lights were given a drop of red paint on one, and blue metallic paint on the other before they were installed. I painted them from the inside to represent the bulbs.

Overall, I'm quite pleased with how this one turned out. I may go back and add a little weathering and some minor "dirt" on the wheels, but other than that, it's done.

The next time you see "Daffy" will be during the reveal.

Thanks again everyone for following along, and especially a great big "Thank You" goes out to Martin and his staff for providing this model as a gift.

Take care and as always... you got it...

"Comments are encouraged".

• Profile Photo
    James B Robinson said 5 years, 5 months ago:

Looks pretty awesome Louis. Exquisite work my friend.

• Profile Photo

Thank James !
    @jamesb
    I'm looking forward to your airport building... that's going to be something special my friend.