General Aircraft Hotspur II

Started by neil foster · 16 · 5 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    neil foster said 5 years, 8 months ago:

The kit I bought is the Novo boxing although I believe it was also produced by Frog two U.K. based companies but one of the sprues has "made in USSR" moulded into it so who else distributed it is anyone's guess. The kit is typical of it's era and price range ,that is to say poor ,you have to really want one of these in your collection or it's probably not worth bothering . Anyhow I did want one so I picked it up at a club day for a fiver, and as soon as the much better Horsa was finished I cracked straight on, these two builds actually overlapped a wee bit as I did the cockpit interiors and pilot figures at the same time .The plastic was very hard ,almost like resin , some parts didn't respond to the usual cement and had to be superglued together, I suspect if I were to drop it it would fall apart ! .Parts fit was generaly good except for the canopy and tail wings which didn't seem to want to play ball in fact one wing snapped off as I removed the masking tape and forced me to clean up the damaged edge and drill and pin to get it back on then redo the paint around the join, the canopy was fun also as it leans over slightly to port ,I improved this unusual defect by removing some plastic from the starboard side but could only go so far without removing the moulded framework ,you can only really see it if you look at it head on and even then it's only slightly off plumb. Generally it is an easy kit to build but the painting is much more complex. There is a full two man canopy and 13 tiny porthole windows to mask off and then typical of the era dark earth/ dark green camo above black and yellow chevrons to the underside. The decals in the box looked to be printed nicely but were extremely dry and fell apart on contact with water as I suspected they might but no problem as I could match everything from my spares box the final result being sealed in with another coat of Future and then finished in Testors matt varnish from a rattle can.

As always I didn't do a step by step set of pictures as I don't have the time or patience.

A little history of the aircraft now. The Hotspur, first flown in 1940 was a wooden construction assault glider able to glide for 100 miles after being released at 20,000 feet carrying 7 troops and a pilot however it proved too small and never really achieved its intended potential and was soon relegated to the trainer role with a 2 man cockpit ,the crew sitting in tandem.

The only pictures I have are of the finished aircraft so I will wait until the grand reveal to display it.

Cheers ,Neil.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Ferry Dierckxsens said 5 years, 8 months ago:

That is a interesting subject Neil. Just recently a friend of mine bought the same kit second hand and we managed to find some more information which I include in this post. Hope is useful for you.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Thanks ferry, in the in flight shot the undercarriage leg looks the same colour as the yellow wing surface ,I wonder if it is or if it's just the light, I like the way the canopy hinges in one piece.
    Cheers .

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 5 years, 8 months ago:

Brilliant choice Neil! When you chose this I was excited - your two gliders will make up a really interesting part of RAF history. I'm guessing many who went onto the Horsa would have had some training in the GAH!

Your D-day Horsa was brilliant. Can't wait to see these gliders at the reveal - thanks so much for adding these 'path less trodden' builds! Exactly in the spirit of the group!

• Profile Photo
    Craig Abrahamson said 5 years, 8 months ago:

A new one on ME...the airplane AND the model of it. Thanks - (guess I'm "outta the loop"). 🙁

• Profile Photo

You're very welcome Paul.When I first joined my club ,the 580 modellers, and started attending shows I was struck by the rows after rows of the same stuff ,Spitfires ,109's etc etc and so without making a conscious decision to do so I started to build subjects like you said " less well travelled". I f you take a look through my gallery here on iModeller you will find a few rareties and one or two that only I have attempted.
    Cheers .

• Profile Photo

You're not out of the loop Craig, I only became aware of this aircraft myself quite recently ,thanks for looking pal'
    N.

• Profile Photo
    Peter Hausamann said 5 years, 8 months ago:

Hello Neil.
    Interesting model subject, and original post...until I came across this sentence:
    "As always I didn’t do a step by step set of pictures as I don’t have the time or patience."
    Surely it does not take long to take a snap with your mobile camera, and what modeller does not have paience?

If you are anything like me, I sometimes get too involved in model making to remember to take snap-shots. I have to leave my phone in places that I revisit regulary, like the jug, where I make coffee. While the water boils I go and take a few snapshots. Besides, I have to take snapshots of the Bridge Diorama because the museum wants updates.

Please explain what you mean by the ..."The only pictures I have are of the finished aircraft so I will wait until the grand reveal to display it." What is the grand reveal?

Thanks for sharing.

• Profile Photo

Hiya Pete ,thanks for taking a look, the reason it's not so easy for me to take pictures as I go along is simple ,believe it or not I don't have a smart phone...I know !, crazy eh ? ,I just refuse to buy into what I call the "technology trap" ,maybe it's just me but all I see is people walking along the street or sitting in cafes or even a bar with friends but with a phone permanently attached to the palm of there hand , I was at a rugby match recently ,at half time I went to take a pee and some guy walked in phone in hand and stood there taking a leak ,finished up and went out all without taking his eyes of his phone the whole thing done with one hand ! ,this is not a world I want to be part of my friend, I do have a mobile but no camera or internet. If I want to do a step by step I would have to get my camera out to do it then download the pictures to my computer then attach them to a message... it takes away the spontanaiety of my modelling.

As for the grand reveal ,this kit and the Horsa glider are both part of the 100 years of the RAF group build.

Cheers, Neil.

• Profile Photo

I concur. I have a smart phone, with all the apps switched off, except for the phoning and texting, the camera, and the calculator. The rest I do not wish to get hooked into.

As for downloading and posting pictures, I do that because most people like to see pictures.

Thanks for explaining the 'grand reveal' (I think). Never understood group builds because nobody seems to explain it. But I think I got the idea. Like showing all your cards at the end.

• Profile Photo

Group builds can be a lot of fun, I set up and ran the first one on iModeller,it was to commerate the D-day landings .It's actually not just about the finished builds but about the journey to get there ,the basic premise is that someone will suggest a subject that they are interested in and usually suggest a few boundries which could be a maximum financial outlay or strictly OOB etc etc and of course a finish date and anyone who wishes to take part can do so, it will bring about interesting conversations ,information swapping and of course help build existing friendships and forge new ones.

N.

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 8 months ago:

It’s ALL about the journey, Neil. Great thread and thanks for taking us along that road less travelled.

• Profile Photo

Thank you both for explanation. Must give a group build a try.

• Profile Photo

Dave ,most kind sir,N.

• Profile Photo

Pete ,you'll be assured of a warm welcome I'm sure.N.