General Atomics MQ-9 Reaper No.39 Squadron RAF 2011-2012 Italeri 1/72

Started by Ferry Dierckxsens · 21 · 5 years ago · 1/72, Italeri, MQ9, RAF100
  • Profile Photo
    Ferry Dierckxsens said 6 years ago:

As mentioned I present my second subject for the 100 year RAF group build. Taking things into the 21st century with the MQ-9 Reaper drone.

This kit has it's origine by Skunkworks Models in China who released this kit in 2011. Italeri presents a rebox which offers also the version in use with nr. 39 squadron based at Waddington.

Just two sprues with nicely detailed parts, and a small decalsheet.

It's larger than one might think and even in 1/72 scale the wingspan is 30 cm or 11.8 inch.

Looking forward to this build and keep you all updated.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Craig Abrahamson said 6 years ago:

Looks as if it could build up to a nice representation. Thanks for the "review".

• Profile Photo
    paul teixeira said 6 years ago:

look forward to seeing this built. Nice subject matter. Never built a drone.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 6 years ago:

Thanks again for this unique contribution, Ferry - looking forward to seeing how it looks 'armed'.

• Profile Photo
    Ferry Dierckxsens said 5 years, 11 months ago:

I could not resist to start with the MQ-9. As the parts on the Harrier are put aside to dry, I've started work on the Reaper. The plastic is softer than I'm used to work with, so care is needed when removing the parts from the sprues, and specialy at cleaning things up. First part is the bottom half of the fuselage and put the wheel wells for the main landing gear in place. Then it's on to the wings, and boy do they have a huge wingspan even for 1/72. I've dry-fitted the wings and the top halve of the fuselage, and it all looks fine, the overall fit is good. Before closing up I first have to add some 20 grams weight in the nose to keep it all level.

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 5 years, 11 months ago:

As with most 'boys' I look at the pictures and read second! Seeing it 'in the flesh' I was struck immediately by its size - even, as you say, in 1/72. Then I saw that you had written about its size. 28cm across is huge! 14cm long is big enough too! It is only a fraction smaller (by measurement) than the Storch I am building and that is in 1/48th scale! My knowledge of WW1/2 planes eclipses what I know about anything later (from the 50s to present day), but this took me by surprise! So a brief search later and I now realise just how huge these are! Thanks for the inspiration to learn, Ferry!

I also added a shot of the RQ-4 which is (was?) the biggest UAV.

• Profile Photo

My pleasure Paul. For me it is also a subject I'm learning a lot of new things about. Thank you for the photo's. The platform shot is great with 5 of these machines. As far as I know the RQ4 is the biggest one with the longest endurance of flight.

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 11 months ago:

This is really interesting, I'd never given much in the way of consideration to drones but this has peaked my interest to learn about them. Interesting build.
    Thanks, Ferry.

• Profile Photo

My pleasure David. In a way it's a funny build, as I came to the point of closing the fuselage and there is no cockpit to take care of.

I added some weight in the nose, around 12 grams, just to keep things in balance. It all fits very nice, but you have to take care with sanding as the plastic is very soft.

The wings fitted prefect in place and I've started with the engine compartment and tail which are dry fitted at the moment. I spotted a rod in the airintake of the engine on the photos of the real machine and added this, using a small part of Evergreen rod. This will be painted later. To be continued.

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 5 years, 11 months ago:

Looks like a really nice kit Ferry - it certainly captures the proportions of the real thing. Really enjoying your build!

• Profile Photo
    Ferry Dierckxsens said 5 years, 8 months ago:

It has been a while but I managed to do some work on the Reaper. Undercarriage is put in place, vertical stabilizer and some streamlined antenae are put on the right spots. Now it's time for painting the whole machine in sky grey.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Allan J Withers said 5 years, 8 months ago:

Looking good so far Ferry, I hope that nose wheel can support all that lead !

• Profile Photo

Thanks Allan. Yes, my initial thoughts too, but it's suprisingly strong and holds well.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 5 years, 8 months ago:

Looking even better 'standing up' Ferry - when I see this, Neil's Gliders, the V Bombers etc - I'm really chuffed that you took on something 'different'. I'm loving the Spits, Hurris and Lancs, but these builds add real depth to the RAF group - thanks so much!

• Profile Photo

Thank you Paul. It is a nice kit to build and It's great to see the diversity in the group, and I like to build something different next to the more familiair subjects. I must say that there is this "funny" feeling looking at the alien drone now coming to life in the cabinet next to my Harriers, jaguar, Mirages etc.