Hawker Siddeley Harrier GR.1 RAF Wittering 1970 Airfix 1/72

Started by Ferry Dierckxsens · 44 · 5 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 5 years, 11 months ago:

Same comments apply as for The Reaper - looks like a great kit being handled beautifully, Ferry!

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 5 years, 10 months ago:

I'm liking where this is going! I've built one 1/72 Harrier, and have several more in the stash - they always seem to call out violently when I'm reaching for something else in the closet...! I think a Sea Harrier (from Falklands campaign) may be up soon...

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 years, 10 months ago:

I have an older Monogram 1/48 Harrier in the stash. The more you progress with your build the more I keep looking at mine and thinking hmmm...

Well done my friend.

• Profile Photo
    Ferry Dierckxsens said 5 years, 10 months ago:

A little progress on the Harrier. Painted the SNEB rocket pods and gave the underside it's first paint; BS Light aircraft grey from the Hataka modern RAF acrylic paint range.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 10 months ago:

Lovely work, Ferry. My first job leaving school (back when dinosaurs walked the earth) was at British Aerospace (technical draftsman) and I rendered a Harrier that was displayed in the main Aberdeen office. Wish I had that drawing now.

This GR1 is looking great.

• Profile Photo

Thank you David. Great memories and yes that drawing would be lovely.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 5 years, 10 months ago:

The Harrier is looking great - can already see the impact the detail work is going to have! How did you find/use the Hataka paint, Ferry - what did you use to thin it?

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 years, 10 months ago:

Ferry, the rocket pods turned out very nice... and you have made some good progress on the Harrier. I'll be looking forward to your next update.

• Profile Photo

Thank you Paul. It's my fourth project using Hataka paint, and after start getting used to work with it, I'm getting the results I wanted to have. I'm using it strait from the bottle as it is allready very thin so to speak. To get a good result a minimum of two layers is requered also dependable on the color you're using. Take care however for scratches to the fresh painted surface, you can guess how I know this. After sealing with clear lacquer it's fine. Just like Vallejo I like to use it as you save so much surface details, and the great color options they have, like the RAF standard colors of WW2 and post-war period.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Louis, it's a nice little kit to work on.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 5 years, 10 months ago:

Thanks for sharing your Hataka experiences Ferry - I have a few of their sets for later builds - I think they do put together some nice combinations of paints in 'themes'. I have struggled a little in practice but will of course persevere!

• Profile Photo
    Allan J Withers said 5 years, 10 months ago:

Looking good Ferry, can you buy it in single bottles or only as a set ?

• Profile Photo
    Ferry Dierckxsens said 5 years, 9 months ago:

Thanks Allan. Hataka offers sets of various subjects like Modern RAF vol. 1, 2 and 3. they hold 8 x 17ml "eye-dropper" paint bottles, or smaller sets containing 6 of these bottles. On the other hand all colours are sold seperatly as well. They have 3 so called "lines" : Blue line for excellent results in brush painting, Red line, optimised for airbrush and Orange line which are enamel paints. Blue and Red line are acrylic paints. you can check on their website: http://hataka-hobby.com

• Profile Photo
    Allan J Withers said 5 years, 9 months ago:

Thanks Ferry, will check it out !

• Profile Photo
    Ferry Dierckxsens said 5 years, 8 months ago:

I also did some work on the Harrier. Painted top and bottom. Still have to do some little clean-up work and then it's on with a layer of clear gloss coat prior to start with decals.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.