Hawker Siddeley Harrier GR.1 RAF Wittering 1970 Airfix 1/72

Started by Ferry Dierckxsens · 44 · 5 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Allan J Withers said 5 years, 8 months ago:

Coming along nicely Ferry, is the camo' done using the blu-tack method ?

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 years, 8 months ago:

The Harrier looks fantastic Ferry ! I was going to ask the same question about the camouflage lines, especially since they look so neat. Good to see you back at this one...

• Profile Photo
    Ferry Dierckxsens said 5 years, 8 months ago:

Thanks Allan, Louis. This time I made masks using Tamiya tape as I wanted sharp edges between the lines. With blu-tack the lines are usualy a little softer. Challenge was also to get the green/grey camo scheme to roll over the leading edges, and they where masked also using Tamiya tape, the regular yellow and the smaller white version, specialy for curved lines.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 5 years, 8 months ago:

With your excellent painting skills the detail on this kit is really standing out Ferry - fantastic work!

• Profile Photo
    Ferry Dierckxsens said 5 years, 8 months ago:

Thank you very much Paul. Slow pace at the moment but it's getting there.

• Profile Photo
    Ferry Dierckxsens said 5 years, 7 months ago:

Little progress on the Harrier with decaling. Airfix provides a lot of tiny stencelling for the Harrier as well.
    Quite a challenge in 1/72 but getting there.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 5 years, 7 months ago:

Looking fantastic Ferry. At Duxford recently the harrier flew in the U.K. again! With the decals going on this is looking really crisp. great stuff!

• Profile Photo
    Robert Royes said 5 years, 7 months ago:

Beautiful work Ferry! Way back in the before time while riding brakes in a f-4 being towed to get refueled, a Marine Harrier flew up along side of us hovered for a few seconds, waved to us and then went on his way. Freaked us out for moment, hadn't seen one before.

• Profile Photo
    Ferry Dierckxsens said 5 years, 7 months ago:

Nearly there with the Harrier. Time is a bit limited at the moment, and I'm drafted in with IPMS NL as one of the organisers for this years Euro Scale Modelling event ( 7000m2) in november. Looking forward to that as well.
    Anyway, final stage of the Harrier, exhausts have to be installled, SNEB pots and fueltanks, 1 final coat of lacquer to seal everything and some minor details to add, and it's ready to fly into inspection.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 5 years, 7 months ago:

What a fantastic job you’ve done, Ferry. The paint job is full of contrast and very sharp. It really does look convincing - like it could jump off the screen. Absolutely stunning! An iconic aircraft and one that the RAF100 couldn’t live without. Thanks again so
    much for the fantastic contributions and I’m sure the IPMS will be all the better for your work at the show!

• Profile Photo
    Ferry Dierckxsens said 5 years, 6 months ago:

Right, I think I can say my Harrier is finished. Some very minor touch ups to do and make a fitting base to present this Harrier in a nice way. Just some quick pics I took this evening. Official presentation will follow offcourse. I'll hope you like this 1/72 model of the GR.1. Build was fun, and this new tooled Airfix kit worked fine along the proces. Paints used from the Hataka acrylic line of RAF colours. Gloss clear from Lifecolor before decals were added, followed by another coat of Lifecolor Gloss finished with satin clear from Lifecolor as well. Airfix provides you with a enormous amount of decals with lots of very small stencilling and warning signs all over the aircraft. You can actualy read the words on these extreme small decals. Thank you for looking and comments are allways appreciated.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 6 months ago:

Gorgeous result, Ferry. As Paul says it really is a stand out job. It’s especially impressive for a 72nd scale build - looks larger scale.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 5 years, 6 months ago:

Love the 4th photo. Looks like it’s just about to lift off. Beautifully done, Ferry. This is another star of the show!

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 6 months ago:

Fabulous work in 72nd scale, very hard to get in the ‘Goldilocks’ zone in 1/72 between realism and accuracy. Takes something of a slight of hand to pull it off and you’ve certainly achieved that. Lovely build of one of my favourite RAF aircraft.