Why do people fall in love?

Started by david leigh-smith · 73 · 5 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 4 months ago:

The camo scheme comes from the static example they have at the RAF museum in Hendon, London...

It was the first time I saw this helo and something about the long narrow shape just resonated with me. The colour scheme, I agree, is much better than than the silver examples, there’s just more interest and as you can see in the photo, there’s a lot of tone changes and variation that gives it more detail.

I heard these helicopters were real pigs to fly.

• Profile Photo
    Michel Verschuere said 5 years, 4 months ago:

Seasons greetings pal, very nice a(d)vances on this Belvedere... 🙂

• Profile Photo
    David Mills said 5 years, 4 months ago:

Coming together nicely David, it would be good to catch up with you, I'll drop you a line!
    Well done for perservering with the Belvedere!

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 4 months ago:

Thanks, David and I’ll keep an eye out, it’d be good even to meet for a coffee/beer and a chat.
    The Belvedere will be done soon, got some varnish on her today in prep for decals and weathering. I REALLY wish I had more time for modeling. The ‘on this day’ series keeps the interest going between meeting, on train journeys, while cooking, and the like but nothin’ like time on the bench.

• Profile Photo
    Julio Contreras Martínez said 5 years, 4 months ago:

El kit no es de los que se montan solos pero está quedando bastante bien David " tú puedes"...

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 years, 4 months ago:

Wow David, you have definitely made some great progress since the last time I checked in on the Belvedere. It's looking good now, and is going to look even better once the decals are on.

I'll be watching for the next installment.

• Profile Photo
    Robert Royes said 5 years, 4 months ago:

Looking good David, Sorry I'm late to the party.

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 3 months ago:

Ah. The decals.

I’ve heard some people say they’ve had 40 year old decals that just slid off the backing paper like a drunk off a barstool. No such luck here. These things fell apart quicker than a politician trying to give an honest opinion.

This is the first time I’ve been at the bench for a few weeks. I’m going to bring this one in for Paul's terrific RAF Group Build then have a think about 2019 projects.

Happy New Year, all.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 5 years, 3 months ago:

Hopefully you have better than those in the decal dungeon.

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 3 months ago:

Strange to see you here in the dungeons of iModeler, Tom. Grateful nonetheless, and in terms of the decals, I’ll have to mask and paint.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 5 years, 3 months ago:

My goodness this has been a heavyweight contest between man and plastic! Well done for keeping at it, David. There is an online seller here in Aus that seems to have a stock of weird and wonderful vintage kits. I am often tempted but always back out remembering my attempts at older plastic! Kudos and thanks! It must be true love after all!

• Profile Photo
    Jeff Bailey said 5 years, 3 months ago:

Ahhhh ... the British Chinook. I've seen photos of this aircraft & have heard a few things about them; all bad. I can't say that about your model, though. I'm happy that you decided NOT to wear lipstick and makeup to finish this hell-o'copter model. But you can if you like ... who am I to judge!

Painting because of the decals' failure due to, as you said: "These things fell apart quicker than a politician trying to give an honest opinion." That is a VERY wise way to look at it and I like that. Good luck with it.

• Profile Photo
    David Mills said 5 years, 3 months ago:

Yes apparently one of those aircraft it was unsafe to walk beneath let alone fly.
    Nil Desperandum David, best of luck with the decal search!