Lightning

Started by IAN JACKSON · 34 · 5 years ago · 1/48, Airfix
  • Profile Photo
    IAN JACKSON said 5 years, 7 months ago:

So my second entry in to this GB. My original 1997 Airfix 1:48 Lightning: A few additions for this one, a Quickboost seat, Master pitot, Aeroclub shock-cone & decals, otherwise straight from the box.

I'm going for a VERY clean virtually factory fresh NMF, so whatever preparation for paint & painting skills I may possess are going to be pushed hard. Anyway enough yada, yada, yada, here's some photos to look at, and as ever, please feel free to make any comments, as any questions or hurl any abuse.

Ian.

13 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Peter Hausamann said 5 years, 7 months ago:

Thanks for showing. They are a nice looking aircraft.
    Looking forward to seeing it all brand spanking new. . . just how I like to see a model.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 5 years, 7 months ago:

No abuse here - just gratitude - thanks for the second contribution. It’s going to be a cracker!

• Profile Photo
    Craig Abrahamson said 5 years, 7 months ago:

Love the lines of this aircraft...looking forward to your NMF.

• Profile Photo

Thanks all - not quite ready for NMF just now, but here's the update:
    Primer (Rustoleum dark grey straight from the rattle-can), allowed to cure for 48hrs in the Spring sunshine then rubbed with 2000grit wet'n dry so the finish is like glass. Then I shot a couple coats of Tamiya gloss black and a third which was no more than 30 / 70 paint to thinner.

Going to leave that now until Thursday and start with the first of the metal tones. Stay tuned !

Ian.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Allan J Withers said 5 years, 7 months ago:

Looking good Ian, what was the yellow on the fin earlier ?

• Profile Photo

Look at the pics above - instead of using yellow decal for the fin stripe which may not be opaque enough, I sprayed the yellow then precisely measured the kit & Aeroclub decals and masked accordingly then sprayed the black.

• Profile Photo

My mix of AK Xtreme Metals - 3 parts Dark Aluminium & 2 parts Aluminium. Lef to dry / cure for 24 hours then masked ahead of spraying [straight] Aluminium. When that's dry, I'll reverse mask a few panels and, in-turn, spray them Stainless Steel.

If you haven't yet tried these phenomenal enamel lacquers... take my recommendation and do it, they're bl**dy marvelous ! - and no I'm not on commission.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Peter Hausamann said 5 years, 7 months ago:

Looks very promising. Can't wait to see the next update.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 5 years, 7 months ago:

Enamel lacquers - in other words, THEY STINK - and take for-bloody-ever to cure. Thank goodness for Vallejo acrylic metalizers, which look just as good and are able to be dealt with in 20 minutes. AND THEY DON'T STINK. (A major point when others in the house are not enamored of enamels, and you don't have all that time to set them aside).

• Profile Photo
    David Mills said 5 years, 7 months ago:

Great scheme Ian - that will look super when its finished. Great work with the Ak's I have them - they are great to use. Really looking forward to the next installment.

• Profile Photo

I won't argue that they are 'unpleasant' Mr. Cleaver - except to say that they're way more 'nasel friendly' than Alclad... and mask-able in 20mins.

Ian.

• Profile Photo

Yeah, too many Alcad paints will eat your model. oOdor control around here is a MUST or SWMBO will make her displeasure known.

• Profile Photo

Well that happened ! (and far more quickly than I thought it would). Just the nose ring and anti-glare panel to finish up. Have to say I couldn't be any happier with the 'look' right now.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

That is indeed very nice work, Ian. Really sparkling!