Matchbox 1/72 Armstrong Whitworth Siskin IIIA

Started by David Mills · 33 · 5 years ago · 100 years, 1920's, Armstrong Whitworth, RAF, Siskin
  • Profile Photo
    David Mills said 5 years, 5 months ago:

One from the 1920's !
    A couple of colourful scheme's.

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 5 years, 5 months ago:

Great pick, David. Matchbox kitted many interesting subjects. Even the decals look usable in your kit!

• Profile Photo
    David Mills said 5 years, 5 months ago:

Thanks John, I was looking for something from the 1920's - surprisingly difficult to find a mainstream kit of a 1920's RAF aircraft when you start to look! - So many seem to be one off prototypes!
    Many aircraft which look like 1920's aircraft are actually 1930's and later!

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 5 years, 5 months ago:

Fantastic David! It looks like you can get this in under deadline and a '20s build is a very rare thing! Thank you so much! Great choice!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 years, 5 months ago:

This is a wonderful addition David... It reminds me of the various kits that Life Like (or Pyro) manufactured of the Fairey Flycatcher, Bristol Bulldog and the others.

Like Paul stated,
    Great Choice indeed.

• Profile Photo
    David Mills said 5 years, 4 months ago:

Thanks guys - I have gone for a chequerboard scheme...

7 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    David Mills said 5 years, 3 months ago:

Progress so far, I have gone for an aircraft from No.43 Squadron "The Fighting Cocks" who were based at Tangmere in 1929.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Stephen W Towle said 5 years, 3 months ago:

Match Box may have practiced trench warfare on some of their kits. But, the out lines and shapes of many of their kits do a good job of representing the type. This build looks very promising David. Keep up the good work. Where following this one with interest.

• Profile Photo

Many thanks indeed for the kind words Stephen, some more progress.
    We have a broken cabane strut , but I have the piece, and it should not be too difficult to repair.
    Touch wood the kit has gone together very nicely and has been really enjoyable to build.
    Decals were O.K. , just register and colours a bit iffy, but otherwise perfectly usable.
    I will see how far I can get with this tonight!

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Cabane strut fixed,engine and cowling added, a little acrlic wash here and there.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 5 years, 3 months ago:

Looking very impressive David! The painting is superb!

• Profile Photo

Thanks PaulI am hoping to have this one finished very soon!
    Exhausts and lower wing on.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    August Horvath said 5 years, 3 months ago:

Marvelous job. What a nice old kit. Even that engine holds up pretty well, dunnit?

• Profile Photo

Thank you August, it has gone together very well,the fit for a 45 year old kit is excellent.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 5 years, 3 months ago:

That’s looking great, David! Matchbox modeled a lot of interesting and unique subjects like the Siskin. They really shine when given some care like you’re doing with this one.