Matchbox 1/72 Armstrong Whitworth Siskin IIIA

Started by David Mills · 33 · 5 years ago · 100 years, 1920's, Armstrong Whitworth, RAF, Siskin
  • Profile Photo
    David Mills said 5 years, 3 months ago:

Thank you John I have finally got the undercarriage on! It all fitted precisely but you needed six arms to hold everything in place. Thank goodness for cyano and extra thin!

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Ferry Dierckxsens said 5 years, 3 months ago:

Fantastic work David. I really like these old Matchbox kits and the work you put in shows you can still make a very nice model out of these kits.

• Profile Photo

Thank you very much Ferry, only the last few pieces now required!

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 5 years, 3 months ago:

It looks like you might have a bit of silvering with the left upper wing insignia. There's an easy "save" if this is the case: take a sharp #11 blade and slice that area of the decal, then slather on more setting solution. Apply more as needed till it sets down nice and no silvering. The silvering is due to air getting under the decal. Slicing it lets the air out, and you won't know you did it after it sets.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 5 years, 3 months ago:

Looking just great David! I can't get over how well this kit is going together given its vintage - it must be in safe hands! You've captured the 'solid' nature of the Siskin perfectly with the paint job. Can't wait to see this one complete!

• Profile Photo

Just the Windscreen now and some tiny paint repairs, tomorrow morning when the light is better!

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 3 months ago:

This is looking gorgeous. A tight and beautifully finished build that utterly belies it’s age. That chequered scheme is anything but easy but you’ve made the effect look so natural and ‘right’. A very admirable piece of work from a difficult kit; I know what you mean about needing six arms!

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 5 years, 3 months ago:

This really looks excellent now. You'd never mistake that thing for anything other than British. 🙂

• Profile Photo

Thanks Gentlemen!
    Windscreen on and a little burnt umber on the prop!
    I think it is done now.

8 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 5 years, 3 months ago:

Stunning, David - real craftsmanship! The prop really adds the cherry - great scheme, sharp paint job, and a 20s subject to boot. She's already been added to the final presentation - just hanging on for a couple more that are very close and I'll put it up!

David, thanks for everything in the GB - loads of great comment and of course great building!

• Profile Photo

Thank you Paul !

• Profile Photo
    Allan J Withers said 5 years, 3 months ago:

Well done David, looks good.

• Profile Photo

Many thanks Allan!

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 5 years, 3 months ago:

Great work, David. That’s a really attractive little model.

• Profile Photo

Thanks John I'm not normally a biplane builder!