Revell 1/48th Eurofighter Typhoon

Started by Chuck A. Villanueva · 94 · 5 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 6 years, 1 month ago:

First look on the 2nd project of the RAF 100 anniversary GB. Revells Typhoon. The first thing you will notice is the large blue open ended box that Revell is currently using on some of their latest kits. Don't care for this at all really. Much easier to access the kit with a lid type box keeping all the parts with in the box. The Revell style removing the sprues to find which part to remove next is just annoying. Next we have the instruction booklet. Not the greatest layout, 20 pages, 69 steps including ordnance to build the Typhoon. Flagged letters are used as painting guides for each part during assembly. Notated in several languages. The decal sheet looks good. Includes markings for 3 RAF, 2 Luftwaffe, 1 Italian and 1 Spanish Eurofighters. Also stenciling for the air frame and weapons supplied in the kit. Page 20 shows the weapon paint and stencil guide. Including the pylons and drop tanks. For my project I also have the Eduard's cockpit zoom set and Caracal Decals 48-090 Battle of Britain commemorative scheme of Dark Earth/Dark Green over Grey. The sprues come in bags. The clear parts are in a separate bag and look very good as they should. The Typhoon is molded in a Light grey plastic. petite details throughout the kit. Very nice mouldings, It has been awhile building a Revell kit, much less a newer one. The gear bays show details with in, landing gear and wheels look good as well. The cockpit tub has details on the side consoles, the IP is mostly all glass and is represented in plastic and decals for the screens. Revell supplies both open and close exhaust nozzles. The Canards are able to deflect or be in the standard neutral position. You have full intake trunking, with the leading edge flaps you can pose open or closed. The large dive brake can also be displayed open or closed. Revell also has supplied the refueling nozzle that can be displayed open or closed as well. So a few items in the kit that will allow you to display in several configurations with the array of weapons available to install as well. Though the version I am building was a demonstration bird, I will just add a pair of Aim-9's and the Amraam missiles for the sake of having some goodies hanging under the wings. So looking forward to getting this big delta fighter on the bench. Thanks for viewing.

23 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Allan J Withers said 6 years, 1 month ago:

Good one Chuck, I also hate those end opening boxes and usually transfer the contents into a proper box !

• Profile Photo

Thanks Allan, we get so caught up with building or life for that matter, we forget the simple things that can make life easier. Such as a regular box to put the parts in. Shaking my head when the solution to the Revell open end box dilemma. Geez,lol.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 6 years, 1 month ago:

This looks perfect Chuck - those decals are just what the doctor ordered - a truly great selection. The kit looks really nice too - I have to admit that I am stuck in a loop of (new) Airfix, Eduard, Tamiya, Zoukei Mura and Wingnut Wings when it comes to adding to my stash - unless some very specific kit turns up for a project (e.g. Hobby Boss Wildcat as a Martlet, recently). I think it is probably because I remember those earlier Revell incarnations of my youth that I remain wary of them. And that I am still learning some of the basics - such as filling and fitting - so I tend to follow the reviews for the kits said to go together with least issues! As such I am really interested in this build. Your work is always of high quality so I am excited to see how this later Revell offering shapes up! Thanks again - this is going to be fantastic!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 6 years, 1 month ago:

I like the choice of markings you picked !
    A throwback to the Battle of Britain... This is going to be good .

• Profile Photo

Thanks Paul, Revell has vastly improved their mouldings since the 90's. Sharing with Revell Germany some of the lastest armor and aircraft kits. Also includes the classic Monogram kits of our youth. This kit I bought when it first appeared. Back in 2006 so already 12 years old. Amazing how fast time flies for a "recent" release that isn't so recent. So far this kit looks pretty involving as I get started on it this weekend.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Louis, perfect for the RAF GB, and gets away from the drab Grey scheme that is the norm for these modern jets. Time to get started, it's March and time to get some of the new stuff started for the year. Pretty much everything leftover from 2017 is done.

• Profile Photo
    Ferry Dierckxsens said 6 years, 1 month ago:

Great choice and a lot of very nice details. Looking forward to your build of this Eurofighter. The Battle of Britain livery will be super on this bird. Still think of building the Eurofighter RAF 100 years special in 1/72 for the GB, but have to finish some others first.

• Profile Photo

First as my norm before actual assembly is some pre-painting. First Light Ghost Grey for the cockpit and fuselage halves. Using Polly Scale Acrylic. Next up MM Flat White Enamel for the intakes, wheels wells, landing gear struts and related components. Inside the gear well doors. Dive brakes and dive brake housing. As well as the interior of the refueling nozzle compartment. While the white is drying. A little more pre painting to follow. Thanks for viewing.

21 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Typical start with the cockpit. the 1st 2 steps start with the seat. A multi part decent seat from Revell. First with the seat cushion I remove the molded on seat belts. The seat side panels are painted Tamiya flat black and the seat cushions Lifecolor Olive Drab. The headrest assy is painted Flat Black as well. Then we assemble the seat. A little fiddly here, but aligned ok once the cement sets. While the seat is setting up. I next work on the cockpit tub, remove the details off the side consoles to prepare to accept the PE enhancements. Once the bits are installed I next add the PE pedals. Back to the seat. Next I install the rear seat back. And then add the PE cushion bits to the seat. These will appear a little darker than the OD on the seat cushion. Then a section of the lap belt is next attached to the seat. Working with PE takes a lot of patience and time. So with more to add on the seat. I will add the rest in the next session. Time to give it a rest. More to follow.

16 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 6 years ago:

In this step I will a few more PE to the seat and Instrument Panel.

Adding the seatbelt harness around the headrest.

Next the lower seat belt adjuster mounts on the lower cushion.

Letting those bits set, next to start adding the PE bits to the instrument panel,. Starting with the 3 screens. Then the dial buttons around each screen. It does get a little tedious. The trick is to do a few bits at a time. It does take some patience.
    pic8]

While letting the IP set, I add the control stick console to the cockpit floor. And that will do it for today. More to follow.

3 additional images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 6 years ago:

Incredible detail Chuck, and great work with those tiny PE parts - I find them pretty hard going - but in the end they always lend something to the final build - not least the satisfaction of knowing what you have managed to do to enhance the work. Fabulous Chuck. Great to see work in progress on the days the RAF came into existence 100 years ago!

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 6 years ago:

Looking really good!

• Profile Photo

Thanks Paul, it does, patience and more patience. They do enhance the cockpit, in a way I used to with a fine sable brush not so long ago. Steady as she goes.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Greg, so far it is progressing slowly.