Revell 1/48th Eurofighter Typhoon

Started by Chuck A. Villanueva · 94 · 5 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 6 years ago:

Finally going to finish the seat and put it aside once the seatbelts and the ejection handle is installed.

Back into the cockpit, paint the control stick column Lt Grey, and then install the control stick itself and paint this Black.

Once that is done, next to add the side panels on the Instrument panel and let that sit.

Next to install the seat into cockpit tub. Tight fit, it won't come out again. Then install the control quadrant on the LH console panel.

Now test fit the cockpit tub into RH fuselage half and install the IP as well at the same time for alignment. Looks good, then attach it in place. Then place the LH fuselage half, adjust and cement in place. A fishing weight is then Super glued into place right behind the cockpit tub. Let that sit for a bit.

Next is to apply cement along the spine and tail to finish up the fuselage install.

Add the rear tail center filler panel that sits between the exhaust nozzle.

Up to step 5 and 6, Revell would have me install the forward canards before gluing the fuselage halves together, but I will install these later.

Thats it for now. More to follow.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 6 years ago:

Coming together nicely, Chuck - the IP looks very smart! Great progress!

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 6 years ago:

Thanks Paul, but I just noticed something as I was preparing for the next step. I am missing the nose cone. I don't remember ever seeing it now as I was thinking adding a little more weight just to make sure she will sit properly. Let me see if I can get a replacement now.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 5 years, 11 months ago:

Since noticing the nose was missing for this kit, contacted Revell, there response which was quick, but not good news. The parts have been 'culled' so not available. So back to the parts search hoping a nose is laying around somewhere for this kit. So I'm to go as far as I can go in the meantime. Next up is building the main gear well which is quite nice in detail. Already in white, first is the well ceiling and ft and rear bulkheads which also serves as the wing spars.

Next to attach each bulkhead to the gear bay ceiling. While that is setting, next to attach the LH/RH side tubes, on each side of the main gear well.

Finally attach the rear bulkhead to main gear well sandwiching the tubes within the well.

Then finally installing the wheel well assembly into the lower wing. Fit here is good. In fact everything so far is going well.

Next up is the intake assembly rather unique setup on this bird. More to follow.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Bebout said 5 years, 11 months ago:

Looking good Chuck, hopefully the nose piece will show up.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Tom, we have time, hopefully my search will come up with something. I was thinking maybe someone made an aftermarket nose. Will look into that as well

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 11 months ago:

Amazing work, Chuck. Detailed and crisp, with a flair for the dramatic with the crucial missing piece. I've had great experiences with Revell customer services, a shame they don't actually have the nose any longer. However, knowing you, a solution will be found. Or made.

Really enjoying this thread, thanks for sharing.

• Profile Photo

Thanks for the encouragement David, it wasn't fun to receive the bad news from Revell. Oh well, will just press on.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 5 years, 11 months ago:

I wonder if anyone here/near has a 3-D printer? I don't know enough about them yet but it might be a way forward?

• Profile Photo

Next up is assembling the intake. Here is where the vagueness of the instructions come into play. The Typhoon is a unique aircraft in it's design. The multi-part layout is quite fiddly and takes patience and test fitting to get installed correctly. Building the intake trunk itself is uneventful. It is attaching it to the air frame correctly is the challenge.

The intake interior is a Lt Blue. The engine faces are blank and not very deep. Though deep enough that it is not easy to peek into once it is installed.

Going to leave off the forward splitter until I have the intake installed.

Now the to start gathering the other parts, intake roof, and side panels. The instruction sheet again is vague in how to attach these parts, so instead I will install them when I have the intake attached to the fuselage.

Doing it this way will align better and also will use Tamiya slow setting cement so I can adjust the parts before the cement sets.

At the start of the build when assembling the cockpit and the nose portion of the fuselage was part 28A, again the placement was vague, so I decide to wait until I get to this step in how it showed be placed in the fuselage. The location where it goes and getting the correct angle.

Finally with the intake installed, the vent installed as well, still some seam work will need to be addressed despite how careful I was or tried to be oh will. So far though it's coming along.

[pic13}

Next up to assemble the wings. Thanks for viewing.

2 additional images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 11 months ago:

@michel-verschuere Is your man for that branch of tech, Paul/Chuck. He's just the kind of guy to help out with absolutely anything, too.

Chuck, is that a Marauder you have there in the background?

• Profile Photo
    Michel Verschuere said 5 years, 11 months ago:

I have one, I reported on it some time ago. Lastly I used it on my German Air ministry entry. Let me know what you need, if you have a drawing I can try and repro it for you.

http://imodeler.com/groups/scratch-building-models/forum/topic/on-the-interplay-between-scratchbuilding-and-3d-printing/

• Profile Photo

Thanks David I am open to anything for that nose.

• Profile Photo

Michel, tell me more and what I can do to really create a nose. I didn't know that could be possible.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 5 years, 10 months ago:

After attaching the intake, while it was still not set, I test fitted the lower wing for alignment as there are lot things going on here at this junction where wing meets forward fuselage and intake.

Just loosely placing the lower wing section into the fuselage, the upper wings are removed from the sprue ready to attach to the lower wing.

Once the upper wings are attached it's time to check again the alignment and glue them in place.

There will be some seam work to address but after some minor adjustments it won't take much to clean up.     

Next some sub assy work and add some detail bits under the wings. More to follow.