Revell 1/48th Eurofighter Typhoon

Started by Chuck A. Villanueva · 94 · 5 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 5 years, 9 months ago:

Next is to install the spine and upper dive brake well and the rear canopy decking.

Reading some reviews on this kit, some have run into a fit problem with this part. And though I anticipated this fact, I was able to avoid the issue test fit and install.

The issue was a tight fit where the tabs on each are a little off in alignment. A little trimming and the softening of the plastic with a Hot cement solves the problem in my case. The seam at the rear towards the tail is a typical gap that will be easy to fill.

Next up is to install the really well detailed rear cockpit decking. The fit at first looked and felt tight. But once again the hot cement worked it's magic and the decking settled down as it should and will only require minimal cleanup around the seam.

Next some some sub assy work as well as working the overall airframe cleaning up seams to prepare for paint. More to follow.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 5 years, 9 months ago:

Typhoon in the air.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 years, 9 months ago:

looks like your ready to spray on some paint... I like the paint scheme on the Battle of Britain Typhoon jet. Are you going to paint this one like that ? It looks very cool.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 5 years, 9 months ago:

I agree Louis - the BoB tribute paint looks great. The WIP is looking great Chuck brilliant info! And the rear decking looks just the part!

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 5 years, 8 months ago:

Yes Louis this will wear the RAF BOB commemorative scheme.
    Thanks Paul, reading some reviews on this kit have come in handy. There is an issue with the main gear in regard to the gear doors. So I will show that when I get to that step.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 5 years, 7 months ago:

With the basic airframe completed now it is time to do some cleanup as I prepare to paint the Tiffy II. The areas to work on would be around the wing roots and the rear seam on the center avionics hump.

After smoothing out the areas that had seam cleanup. The rear cockpit avionics tray is painted Vallejo Flat Black.

Next to work on the nose cone. This I will paint Aeromaster Flat Gull Grey 36440. once the seam is cleaned up a bit.

Finally I airbrushed the Gull Grey over the nose cone. Let it sit overnight before masking it off.

In the meantime I will install the windscreen and canopy. Before doing so, I touch up the black IP coaming before installing the windshield.

Both clear bits installed. Done for the day and will mask this off along with the nose next time out. More to follow.

• Profile Photo
    Richard Mcstay said 5 years, 7 months ago:

Looks like you’ve had your work cut out with the filler! Looking good so far though.
    I like your use of the fishing weight! That’s my preferred ballast of choice also!

• Profile Photo
    David Mills said 5 years, 7 months ago:

Great progress Chuck looking forward to seeing what the paint scheme will be!

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 5 years, 7 months ago:

Looking good, Chuck - good to see the jets getting some time in RAF100!

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 5 years, 7 months ago:

Thanks Richard, been using various fishing weights for at least 20 years now, prior to that was BB's which at times one would break loose and rattle around when picking up a completed model to dust off or dust the shelves. Depending on size, little baggies of weights from .50 a bag to $3.00 USD. Great value.

Thanks Dave, the scheme will be the SEA Dark Green/Medium Green/ Tan over Black.

Ooopsy, I mean it will be RAF Dk Green, Dk Earth over RAF Med Grey, the first scheme is the F-111 I am also working on. For some reason I though I was on the Aardvark thread.

Thanks Paul with really one aircraft left to finish on the RAF GB, have some time to work on other projects.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 5 years, 6 months ago:

It has been awhile since updating the Typhoon WIP. So lets get to it. Last was installing the canopy and windscreen. After attaching the clear parts, they are actually very clear in appearance, nice from Revell. Next is too mask off the nose and the clear parts as we prepare for painting.

Next is to just preshade the lower rear section of the fuselage and drop tank. This plane was kept very clean, just minor grime under rear section of the airframe, but even then not very dirty overall.

Then Xtracolour RAF Med Grey was airbrushed overall the lower section of the airframe. This paint I love and very difficult to get here in the US. Only source I know is Roll Models in Minnesota. Even then it takes forever. Also is sprays excellent out of the brush and dries glossy. Also it stays tacky for awhile so once painted you leave it sit overnight. Popped the drop tank off and also went over the top of it to complete the process of painting it.

Also while at it, painted the rest of the lower components grey as well, such as the gear doors, lower canard wings and some other detail bits.

And last the tip of the tail. Next up is to mask off the hard edge that separates the upper scheme colors to the grey. More to follow.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 5 years, 6 months ago:

Brilliant to see you back at this one, Chuck! Your builds have been a fantastic effort and this one will be the cherry on top!

• Profile Photo

Thanks Paul, it is much farther along, was having issues getting image to upload from the camera to the PC. That has been resolved so now I can do some catch up with this and some other projects going on.

• Profile Photo

With the Xtracolour grey fully dried, I masked off the grey demarcation line to create a hard edge on the forward fuselage and nose section, the grey wing tip pods and a small section under each side of the exhaust panels. Next is too airbrush Tamiya Black over the canopy frames before applying the Dark Earth.

Next is to apply the Dark Earth over the top surfaces. Using Gunze Acrylic enamel. This paint will dry semi glossy. And shoots very well out of my Paasche H single action airbrush. Love this paint. Very little if any clogging. Normally when doing a mutli color camo job I would only paint the sections of the airframe the Dk Earth leaving the areas Dark Green exposed. But this Typhoon is in a promotional paint scheme and is always kept clean. ( you ever seen a well worned Blue Angel F/A-18?, they are pristine in appearance). Since I didn't do any preshading for this particular build, I shot the Dark Earth on all the top surfaces.

Next to make sure not to forget to paint the canards.

Next up is to now airbrush the 2nd color, Tamiya Dk Green. I will free hand the Green over the Dk Earth a quick shot on the LH wing panel.

Tamiya also performs very well coming out of the brush. First edging the Green where it meets the Dark Earth and then filling it in to complete each section that will be Dk Green.

Once dry I then remove the maskings to reveal the final finish. And what I may have to go over any overspray.

Once making note what I have to go over. Next up is to paint the grey trim and parts of the flying sections that will be grey as well. So some detail painting is next. Not a simple scheme. So will put it a aside to let it dry for a week and then come back for so more masking for the next step. More to follow.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 5 years, 5 months ago:

That scheme is perfect for this GB Chuck - the classic camo on a modern jet. The tribute livery is spot on! Well done and thank you!