Tamiya 1/48th Avro Lancaster B.III Dambuster RAF 100 anniversary

Started by Chuck A. Villanueva · 129 · 5 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 6 years, 3 months ago:

I started building this kit around 1999, so yeah it is a long term project. And since it is the 100th year anniversary of the Royal Air Force, I feel it is time to finish it. I did build this kit once before when I was a freshman in high school. Being motivated and stoked that I could afford to buy it by saving my allowance at the time I believe it was $50.00 at the time. This kit I picked up at a Wings N Wheels Hobby Shop in Mystic, Ct back in 1992, and yep paid $50.00 for it. And since then I did picked up another one about 10 years ago off of Ebay and yes again for 50.00 with the shipping. When they were up to 100.00 at the time. It was a good pick up. Since the current kit has been started, I will however crack the 2nd kit and see what is in the box. This is the original boxing in black plastic. I believe the current run is in grey plastic. When I first opened the first kit Tamiya packs the fuselage off to the side of the bagged parts. Wrapped with a rubber band on each end of the fuselage to keep the halves together within the box. Well if it has been in the box a number of years, the rubber deteriorates and will melt into the fuselage, like the Tigercat tires did in the AMT kit. But the damage is not permanent though it will need some work to cleanup the ring mark left in the front and rear extreme ends of the fuselage. In the 2nd kit, the rubber bands were removed by the previous owner. So no issues with that in the 2nd kit. The kit which is one of Tamiya's early run of 48th scale series, has fine raised panel lines. The instruction sheet is in Japanese but easy to follow. Great detail and in direct competition with Monograms 48th scale multi-engine bombers at the time, though the Tamiya kit was much more expensive.. Otherwise no one else produced any and still haven't in this scale. Only Tamiya with the 2 Lancaster variants and Revell/Monograms B-17,B-24 and B-29's are the only companies to produce any 4 engine WWII era bombers. Now to find the original images of the work in progress when I first got started. It was about this time I started to document my builds with images. In this case with my Canon AE-1. More to follow. Tally Ho!

10 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 6 years, 3 months ago:

Wow Chuck - 2 history lessons in one post - the history of the Dambusters and the 25 (ish) year history of this kit! This was a massive moment for the RAF, for Guy Gibson and Barnes Wallis.

On another note, the size of that 'Gram Slam' bomb is terrifying - the original MOAB - another Barnes Wallis production, I believe.

• Profile Photo
    neil foster said 6 years, 3 months ago:

Nice choice Chuck ,it'd be nice to see the Grand Slam version, but which ever you pick I'm sure it will be amazing.
    N.

• Profile Photo
    Ferry Dierckxsens said 6 years, 3 months ago:

That's a great choice! Looking forward to your progress in building this wonderful aircraft.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Bebout said 6 years, 3 months ago:

That is a great addition Chuck. Actually saw one fly at the Gathering of Mustangs and Legions in Columbus, Ohio several years ago. Boy is that aircraft big, you really took note of it's size when compared to the B-17 parked along side it. Trust you have self space to display it. Probably why you don't see them very often at model shows.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 6 years, 3 months ago:

Thanks for the tip about the rubber bands on the fuselage halves. I pulled my kit down to see if they were there. Luckily they were not, so my Lancaster was good to go. I see what Tom means about the size of this plane. The wings are HUGE in the kit...

Imagine just how big the full sized plane is...

I'll be watching for updates on this one !

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 6 years, 3 months ago:

Chuck, I was wondering the other day how much I'd paid for mine. Years ago. One of my difficulties with rereleases is that I sometimes recall what it went for, back in the mists of plasticism. I have seen very few of them built, notably one by the guy in our club who built BIG models. I'm thinking the Grand Slam Special would be simpler, and Yep, I've got it, too. It's an obsession, I tell you! I love the newest variation, but the price! The more things change...

• Profile Photo

Thanks Paul, a little bit in detail when I reveal the finished Lanc. The variant why and how,the squadron and the kit itself.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Neil, I started this a few years ago and it is the Dambuster variant.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Ferry, where I left off is actually more than half done. Really not much left other than cleaning up all the seams, wings and won't be long to cover up all that glass.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 6 years, 2 months ago:

Thanks Tom, I bet it is quite a sight to see a Lancaster in the air much less walking up one when it is parked on the tarmac. Just seeing B-17's and B-24's and a B-29 at airshows here are wonderful, but a rare Lancaster would be a treat.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 6 years, 2 months ago:

Thanks Louis, I was really dismayed when I first popped the box and notice the melted rubber bands on the fuselage. I remember as a teenager buying this kit when it was new, and of course the rubber bands were fresh at the time. So nothing came of it and of course didn't think about it until a few years later. And this is quite a large plane, I do have a spot for it as well as for the upcoming Betty.the upcoming Betty

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 6 years, 1 month ago:

Was able to find some images taken of the turrets I had already assembled, masked and painted Model Master Flat Black Enamel. Interior Grey/Green is Aeromaster War Bird Acrylic. I used EZ mask for the turrets. They performed very well. No residue on the clear areas.

Here just placing the nose turret in it's place for test fitting.

https://photos.imageevent.com/uscusn/workbench/websize/LancWB001.JPG

Next a view of the RH main gear after assembly completed and installed into the RH wing.

https://photos.imageevent.com/uscusn/workbench/websize/Lancwing01.JPG

True Details resin wheels partially painted mounted on the main gear.

https://photos.imageevent.com/uscusn/workbench/websize/Lancwing02.JPG

My workbench as it appeared in 1999.

https://photos.imageevent.com/uscusn/workbench/websize/Iwb001.JPG

More to follow.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Frank Cronin said 6 years, 1 month ago:

Chuck,

I will really pay attention to your build. I did a couple of these years ago, one of which was a dam buster. I still have two of the non dam buster kits. I loved building them but they are of less details and engineering than today's standards. Lots of sanding and filling but these are great kits of a very important airplane in this scale. When I was fifteen and working part time in a store I remember hearing the distinct sound of a couple of P-51's. I went outside to look and at about 1500 feet a Lanchaster was flying over. It was an amazing site and one that has made me a fan of this a/c. I will follow your progress with great interest. So far your work is excellent

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 6 years, 1 month ago:

Lol, thanks Frank, your not kidding about the sanding and the use of putty. I built one as a teen the standard bomber. Yes not up to today's standard but the challenge is most welcomed just like the Monogram stuff. And it's time to finish her, way too long sitting off to the side for so many years. The RAF GB was the perfect motivator to kick start the project.