Tamiya 1/48th Avro Lancaster B.III Dambuster RAF 100 anniversary

Started by Chuck A. Villanueva · 129 · 5 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 6 years, 1 month ago:

With most of the build pretty much completed. I will show what I have left to do. Coming to realize I didn't have that much more to do. So starting with the engines. The LH/RH engine block is assembled. Next the ft timing chain cover and prop shaft are next. Next is the rear engine mount. Then the valve covers. And finally the exhaust stacks. I did not paint the engine as they will be covered and will not be shown. The exhaust as well as they are covered with the shrouds that are mounted on the nacelles. Now to build the engine firewall and engine mount supports. And install this on each side of the engine. The fit here is good and alignment is precise. Even Tamiya back then had thought this out very well during assembly. Next is to prepare the radiator, install the engine into the nacelle and follow with the the radiator, check alignment and install the components. Next attach the engine covers and this part of the wing assembly is almost complete. The fit here is not the greatest. Some filler will be needed here to clean op the seams. That does it for this portion of the build. Next up is the twin tails to the fuselage. More to follow.

31 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 6 years, 1 month ago:

1999? Surely wins some kind of prize for longest build, or can anyone beat that?

Really look forward to seeing the reveal, Chuck. She is a beast, but also a beauty.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Bebout said 6 years, 1 month ago:

Great progress Chuck, have been watching this build with great interest as I have one in the stash.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 6 years, 1 month ago:

Chuck, it all looks great and it is clearly going to be a highlight of the GB, but I am currently drawn to the tyres - they look fantastic! So realistic.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 6 years, 1 month ago:

You have definitely made some great progress Chuck. I have been following along with this one, like Tom I have one of these in the stash.
    The landing gear looks great too. I can only imagine how nice your Lancaster will look once painted.

I'll bet it's a monster sized plane !

• Profile Photo

One of the factors Dave was the size, once completed it is big and wanted a safe place for it to be displayed. Also moved several times, so taking that into account. I am glad I didn't finish it as I am sure it would have suffered some damage. But it's time to finish it, so I am motivated to do that. Besides I have to make room to start the Betty project soon as well and that does take space on the work bench.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Tom, this is the 2nd one, I built one as a teenager. Having built several Monogram big bombers also, though this was very expensive for me back then. The build on this kit is similar to building a Monogram kit, that being raised panel lines, and a lot of seam clean up. But fun.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Paul, these are the original True Details resin wheel set that I bought way back when I got the kit. At the time it was the only AM parts I could find for this. Now you can a few AM parts for this kit. The only other item that was available was Eduards RAF bomber seat belts which I have installed on this kit.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Louis, it is very large, haven't built anything this large since for years. Maybe the last one not quite this large is the P-3 Orion in 72nd scale and a B-26K (converted from a Monogram A-26). Will get some more work done on it this weekend, if it's not raining.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 6 years ago:

This time we start work on the massive twin tails on the Lanc. What is quite amazing is how big the stabilizers are.

Compared to the oval shaped tail/rudders.

The stabs are upper and lower halves that go together perfectly.

One each side stabs are assembled, then I attach the rudders to the stabs. Fit is good here as well. The tab is designed to allow a perfect alignment when attached.

Next is to insert the LH/RH side tail assemblies to the fuselage. What is nice here is that Tamiya has inter-locking tabs that helps keep the alignment straight and at 90 degrees when installed.

The fit is tight so at this time I did not cement them in. I will do this later after the paint session is completed. Next time to address those seams on the engine nacelles. More to follow.

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 6 years ago:

Chuck, looks great! I can't fault Tamiya, 'cause nobody else has done one in 48th. She'll look impressive when she's done. It would be interesting to see one next to a B-17 or B-24.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 6 years ago:

You have definitely made some great progress on the Lancaster. I can only imagine how big this brute is. Looks great buddy.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Bernard, simply put it seems Tamiya did take the plunge in producing this kit back in the late 70's. Only one so far. Only Monogram/Revell produced the 17's,B-24's and the various twin engine medium bombers. Let's not forget the B-29 in this scale and the B-36 (though in 72nd scale.) AMT (now Italeri) did the A-20 Havocs series which were pretty good.

• Profile Photo

Louis it is quite large and thank God I do have a spot for it now when completed. The Betty for being a twin engine is quite large as well. This project well get started soon after.

• Profile Photo
    Jeff Bailey said 6 years ago:

This looks GREAT, Chuck! I love the Lancaster and I'd love to see one for real. I built one when I was a kid but it was in 1/72nd scale. I didn't notice that it was much bigger overall than the B-24 that I'd also finished but I DID notice how broad the wings were, from front to back. Of course, the B-24 has quite narrow (but thick) wings. The Lanc is quite a machine, for sure!
    '

Closer to the top of the page, David leigh-smith was somewhat incredulous that this was begun in 1999. The Crusader Mk.III I'm working on for the KassPass group build was started in 1979. In truth, it was mostly finished but I'm working feverishly to ACTUALLY finish it soon. When I am timed for anything, they use a sun dial. 😉