Tamiya 1/48th Avro Lancaster B.III Dambuster RAF 100 anniversary

Started by Chuck A. Villanueva · 129 · 5 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 5 years, 7 months ago:

Thanks David M, you have a wonderful project in the Tempest, are rare bird in any scale. Plan on a challenging but very fulfilling build on the Lanc if you decide to pursue. I know you will create another amazing model when your done. And thanks for those pics.

Thanks Louis, those pics of the Upkeep bomb and a bit of history about them are quite informative on the project. Doing research like this often finds some cool information I didn't know. The behind the scene efforts these men put themselves through with the R&D, sleepless nights, the failures and the finally finding the solution. A process that makes you feel their frustrations with them. Like taking history all over again in more detail. And I love it. By the way my favorite subject was and still is history. A+ from day one. I was average on the other subjects.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Paul, the whole GB is bringing out the best and shows the passion for the RAF even as an American I appreciate their effort to continue to survive. For all intent and purposes they were out gunned, out manned and the equipment was barely sufficient to keep up with the slightly superior aircraft the Germans were flying . It was faith and belief that kept them alive and never give up despite the odds. Good stuff, good people of the UK. I am sure God had a big hand in it as well.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 5 years, 7 months ago:

Those are kind words Chuck, my mother and her brother were evacuated during the blitz. They went to Wales and spent every day trying to escape back to London - even though the bombs were falling. We are proud of that spirit and proud to have gone the distance, making the most of our breaks and the incredible support and sacrifice of The American people and those of the Commonwealth and beyond. In many ways it makes the Brits what they are today - for good and bad. Many children may not be able to tell you about the wars their ancestors fought but there is something engrained in many that stems from it.

The Lanc is looking stunning - I will be sad to see it end but it is going to be something to be really proud of! A tough and long build - but a great one!

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 7 months ago:

Knocking it out the park, Chuck. The Lanc is a legend and you are doing her proud. A truly heartfelt and beautiful tribute.

• Profile Photo

Thanks DL, It was and is a fulfilling kit to build. You will have your hands full, but easy to overcome. it does go together well, fit is good, just the clean up on the seams carefully as the airframe have very fine rivets and the panel lines are raised on this. The most intensive part is around the engine nacelles. You can get the Belcher bits replacements, they are not to difficult to install. Eduards has a nice PE set now, which was not available when I got this started. So things to keep in mind when you decide to take a whack at it. It will be a nice challenge.

• Profile Photo
    IAN JACKSON said 5 years, 7 months ago:

Epic build, will look magnificent in the cabinet.

Ian.

• Profile Photo

Once again hopefully it posts this time. This will be the final installment of this WIP on the Tamiya Avro Lancaster. 1st I will be using Vallejo Red/Brown Primer for the Upkeep bomb.

After airbrushing the Red Brown finish on the bomb, I remove it and touch up the stub attachment points off the sprue tree.

Next up is painting the drive chain and hubs. First Vallejo Aluminum is used on the drive sprocket, MM Gun Metal for the chain. And Vallejo Flat Black on the hubs.

After removing the hub from the sprue it is attached to the bomb, The drive chain assy is also test fitted.

Next what looks like a gun barrel is removed from the sprue and attached in a 45 degree angle under the fuselage behind the special bomb bay opening.

Here are the bomb support braces before they are removed from the sprue. I will attach the LH brace to the bomb. And then carefully attach the drive chain assy along with the RH brace to the fuselage. Before the cement sets I attach the bomb and LH brace, check alignment and set it. Everything looks good. And with that she is completed.

2 down and 2 to go.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Ian, I'm just happy it will fit or even had a safe place to put it. With a Betty on the bench and the He-219 planned for next year space is beginning to be a factor. Lack of it. The Beaufighter is not a small aircraft either.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 5 years, 7 months ago:

Well Chuck, you are certainly showing us the way here at RAF100! The work on the bomb is as eye-catching as ever, and I'm sure it will be the icing on the cake of a brilliant build. Thank you for the fantastic build log - I am certain those who will taking on the Lanc in the future will be very grateful for such an excellent reference! Congratulations on an epic thread - looking forward to seeing this at the reveal!