Revell Sopwith F.1 Camel 1/72 (one of the first aircraft in RAF)

Started by Łukasz Matuszczak · 2 · 5 years ago · 1/72, Camel, F1, RAF, Revell, Sopwith F.1 Camel
  • Profile Photo
    Łukasz Matuszczak said 5 years, 4 months ago:

From Author:

I made the kit in 2017 (the kit comes from 2009). The most difficult part was: rigging (no elastic strand available) and propeller (one week of work). I was wondering if it is valid to post Sopwith F.1 Camel in 100Year of RAF group – this aircraft was invented before RAF was created, but it was incorporated to RAF squadrons on 1 April 1918. I am posting one picture with one of the major enemies of F. 1 Camel (Fokker Dr. I)

Technical Data

Powered by the 130hp Clerget, 110hp Le Rhône or 150hp Bentley B.R.1. rotary engines,

Maximum speeds ranging from 177-193km/h (110-120mph)

Wingspan: 8.53m (28ft.)

Length: Clerget engine 5.71m (18ft 9in.) or Bentley engine 5.63m (18ft 6in.)

Armament: two fixed Vickers 7.69mm (0.303in.) machine guns with synchronizing mechanism; also up to four 9.07kg (20 lb.) Cooper bombs in racks under the fuselage.

The Sopwith F.1 Camel was developed from the Pup biplane and was the most successful British fighting scout of the First World War. The first prototype flew in February 1917, and the Camel was seen as a counter to the latest German types. The Camel first served with the Royal Naval Air Service and on 4 July 1917 five of these aircraft successfully intercepted a formation of Gotha bombers. Seven other naval units used Camels and of the 1,294 enemy aircraft shot down by Camels, 386 of these were by naval machines. Royal Flying Corps units began re-equipping with F.1 Camels in July 1917, there being 14 squadrons before the RFC and RNAS became amalgamated in the new Royal Air Force on 1 April 1918. After that date a further four RAF squadrons reformed with Camels. Approximately 5,500 F.1 Camels were delivered to operational squadrons, most of which served on the Western Front in France, the Middle East and Russia. The type was also widely used for ground attack and losses from this role and air combat were heavy; there were also many losses through accidents, as the Camel was highly maneuverable and unforgiving to the unwary pilot. Many distinguished pilots flew Camels and obtained high scores, there being 19 RNAS and RFC/RAF aces whose individual tallies were 20 or more. In the UK many Camels were used for night defense duties; other main users included the 17th and 148th. Aero Squadrons of the U.S. Air Service and four escadrilles of the Belgian Air Force.

(source: Revell booklet)

11 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 5 years, 4 months ago:

Beautiful work, Lucasz. The Camel was the WW1 aircraft most written about and modelled when I was first in the hobby as a much younger 'boy' all those years ago. I absolutely love the markings on this plane. Thank you for persevering and posting - this is a brilliant and historically important addition to the group. Those aircraft that simply switched from RNAS or RFC to become RAF planes deserve a place at the heart of this GB. I will get her in to the final reveal for 'previous builds' immediately!