Vickers Valiant B1, WP209, 138 Sqn RAF, 1 ATU RAAF, Woomera SA 1956.

Started by Allan J Withers · 120 · 5 years ago · 1/72, Airfix, atomic, Australia, RAF, Vickers
  • Profile Photo
    Allan J Withers said 6 years, 2 months ago:

1/72 Airfix, I started work on this earlier this month just for something different to do, one of my C130 nose weights with some plastic sheet to make sure it stays put ,super glue as well, tail planes together and undercarriage bays in wings, I should finish my cats before doing much more to this !

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 6 years, 2 months ago:

Allan, looks like a big 'un. I was curious as to how this would build up, so I willl be folowing on this with interest. as if I need another bomber... It's an affliction. Good luck with it!

• Profile Photo
    Jeff Bailey said 6 years, 2 months ago:

Looks good, Allan. I think the Valiant is a rather elegant looking machine. It's right there with the B-47.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Bernard, it is quite big, -------------- thanks Jeffry, it has clean lines with the engines in the wings ! I have a B 47 to build in 1/144 at some time.

• Profile Photo
    Ferry Dierckxsens said 6 years, 2 months ago:

Fantastic choice Allan. Looking forward to your build of this lovely aircraft. And like you mention I also have to finish another cat first.

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 6 years, 2 months ago:

Hi Allan, having made the Airfix Victor last year I'll be following this build with interest, all we need now is a Vulcan...

• Profile Photo

Thanks Ferry, meeoooww, ------------- Thanks George, my Victor is on a slow boat from China, we had all the V bombers here so I should get a Vulcan as well !

• Profile Photo
    Allan J Withers said 6 years ago:

A little more done, elevators on, bomb together, some putty in the inlets and some paint on a few things.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

One bomb bay door needs adjusting to match the other bits, also the rear piece glued to one fuselage half !

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Bebout said 6 years ago:

Nice choice Alan, this should be real interesting to watch.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 6 years ago:

I have the kit and need something like this to get me to drag it out. I'll be following your progress.

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 6 years ago:

Allan, that is some vivid interior green!

• Profile Photo

Thanks Tom B, --------------- thanks Tom C, get building ! -------------- thanks Bernard, it is, I'm just following the kit instructions !

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 6 years ago:

Having only recently seen Guy Martin's 'Last Flight of the Vulcan' documentary (I remember so many 'fly pasts' with Vulcans during the 80s) I have to agree George - were I a better modeller (and able to find one) I might go for a 1/48th Eiriksson kit - which looks a tough build and expensive!

Allan, your Valiant is coming on in leaps and bounds - it is such an iconic shape - I'll enjoy seeing that fuselage come together!

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 6 years ago:

If you're crazy enough to do 1/48, the Aeroclub vacuform multi-media is the way to go. I sooooo kick myself repeatedly for not buying the kit for US$89.00 in 1988.