Vickers Valiant B1, WP209, 138 Sqn RAF, 1 ATU RAAF, Woomera SA 1956.

Started by Allan J Withers · 120 · 5 years ago · 1/72, Airfix, atomic, Australia, RAF, Vickers
  • Profile Photo
    Allan J Withers said 5 years, 5 months ago:

Thank you Paul, --------------

Thank you Louis, it's the seal from my Milo tins, .003" thick ! ---------------

some clear sprue nav' lights in with SG and the exhaust bits on, a bit of adjustment to the contour needed !

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Peter Hausamann said 5 years, 5 months ago:

Allan, it's looking really really good!
    A nice size too (1.5' wingspan).
    I have never seen one before, but have seen an aircraft that sure looks similar, the Avon Vulcan. It has a smaller wingspan to the Valiant. Both are huge aircraft. The first time I saw a Vulcan, it flew over RAAF Base Edinburgh, SA, in 1980. As I was look up to observe the flyover all I could see was its silhouette with what appeared to be drop tanks at both ends of the wing. Then suddenly these tanks appeared to have pealed off simultaneously. Then I realized they were not tanks, but two Dassault Mirage III's. At that moment, familiar to the size of a Mirage, I realized how huge the Vulcan must have been. Later, I was fortunate to have a close look at her. For some reason, what stood out the most were the re-enforced cockpit windows for high altitude flights.

Allan, I am looking forward to your next updates.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Peter, what was the Vulcan doing here in 1980 ?

• Profile Photo

Not sure. It parked where the ARDU building was, and left the next day. 😉

• Profile Photo

Thanks Peter, ------------ some masking on the exhausts ready for a bit of paint !

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Looking forward to see what this large bird will look like when painted by your artistic touch.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 5 years, 5 months ago:

Only an Aussie could include Milo tins in an aircraft build! Love it! What next? Vegemite exhaust stains?!

• Profile Photo

Thanks Peter, -----------

Thanks Paul, I don't eat Vegemite so it would have to be Marmite or Promite, would be a bit messy though I think !

• Profile Photo

Some filling and sanding around the engines, the modified fuel dumps, another use for that alloy foil = masking tape on both sides cut to shape gives a symmetrical pattern, more black on the canopy and masking in the bomb bay etc ready for a bit of paint !

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 years, 5 months ago:

Post number 100 !

I really like the exhaust pipes ! Are they real metal too ?

It won't be long and you will be spraying on some paint... 🙂

• Profile Photo

Thanks Louis, K&S 5/16" alloy tube, ------ a bit if grey primer on this section ! ----------- 101 not out !

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 5 years, 5 months ago:

That’s looking good, Allan. Which scheme have you chosen?

• Profile Photo

Thanks John, the answer is in the title, WP209.

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 5 years, 4 months ago:

Great pick, Allen! I’m glad it’s in the silver finish and the RAAF roundels add further interest.

• Profile Photo
    Allan J Withers said 5 years, 4 months ago:

Thanks John, grey primer over all and silver on the center section, tail-plane and undercarriage doors !

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.