Vickers Wellington Mk.I, 20 Sq (OCU), crashed in Loch Ness, 1940.

Started by John Healy · 36 · 5 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    John Healy said 5 years, 4 months ago:

I finished my Victor and Whitley and got right to work on the new Airfix Wellington. Obviously, it won’t be finished for the reveal, but I thought you guys would like to see it take shape. These new Airfix kits have got me to delve back into 1/72 scale for the first time in over 25 years. They’re really fun to build.

9 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 5 years, 4 months ago:

I don't know how much you can see inside with this kit (I have it, been looking at that awhile) but all those geodesic bits were silver, which I'm certain (from doing the Trumpy 1/48 kit) that they do show up against the dark red background. Maybe just painting what is seen in the window frame will cure it, but this is one reason why I am leaning well towards the VC airplane, since that side window is painted over and "if you can't see it, I didn't do it!"

I'm going to be interested in your progress here. Looking at it in the box, it is a definite improvement over the other good 1/72 Wimpy, the Special Hobby kits.

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 4 months ago:

John, she’s looking great. A real monster of a build...oooh.

• Profile Photo

Hi Tom. Tons of detail in this one! I was originally going to do a Med/desert scheme bird with blacked out windows featured on an Xtradecal sheet that I have. But when I saw what’s in the box, chose the Loch Ness plane featured in the kit. I want to see how much is visible after it’s built. I’ll mask off the visible structure in the windows when I spray the camo, then brush paint it aluminum before I install the glass. I found a build on Britmodeller that I used as a reference for this one. My second kit will feature the desert scheme. This is where I’m at now...

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, David! That’s a great reference photo. The kit actually builds pretty fast considering all of the included detail.

• Profile Photo

Great work, John. Is photo 1 an ‘Elsan’ toilet?

• Profile Photo

Yes, David. It even has the Elsan. No kitchen sink included though!

• Profile Photo

Amazing. Just incredible. The new Airfix kits are great, but a toilet in 1/72? Inconceivable!

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 5 years, 4 months ago:

John, legendary stuff - another absolute winner for the group. Not worried in the least about the reveal date, what 'gets there get there', you have done loads already! The good news is that the 'decades' sections will be open in perpetuity, and I reckon I can edit the final thing I am putting together to get later arrivals in anyway. The end point was really designed to be sure the group itself had a logical conclusion. People are even now entering 'year of the cat builds' - such was the success of that one! I have to say I'll probably get the SE5a there on schedule but build 5 (The Snipe) may not hit the designated day, either.

Anyway, back to The Wellington - it looks fantastic - I like that we build the details even though they don't all show - it is about learning and skills for those parts I guess!

• Profile Photo
    Allan J Withers said 5 years, 4 months ago:

Looking good John, I have one or two MPM kits to do, ------ David, Trumpeter's TU 160 also has a toilet !

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Trust me, having done an MPM kit and looking at this new kit, you're really better off turning the former into door stops. Everything in the Airfix kit fits, unlike MPM, who still operates on the design theory "Fit? Fit! We don't need no steenking fit, steenking Yankee!" (with apologies to The Treasure of the Sierra Madre)

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 years, 4 months ago:

This is going to be a fun build to watch as it progresses. Thanks for posting this for us, and I'll be looking forward to seeing the next installment... Elsan and all. 🙂

• Profile Photo

I completed the interior and closed up the fuselage today. I used every one of the interior parts and encountered no real difficulties getting things lined up. I did cut the most forward fuselage frame into three pieces, only using the parts that are visible. Just take care when you install the flares and pay attention to where the right hand corner of the instrument panel meets the fuselage. If not installed correctly, the flares can interfere with a bulkhead join and the instrument panel can butt up against the detail panel on the right side of the cockpit. This kit’s another Airfix winner.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

That's great, John. You have answered my question about the internal detail. Wow!

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 5 years, 4 months ago:

John, really amazing detail in this kit as I had my eye on the Trumpy kit in this scale. But I may just go for the Airfix offering it is quite motivating seeing the progress on yours. The quality is excellent. The last few years seeing Airfix going back to updating their line of WWII RAF bombers is quite refreshing. At a good price point. Going to continue watch this as you progress, good stuff.