Westland Wessex HC 5C, XS517, 84 Sqn RAF Cyprus 1987.

Started by Allan J Withers · 64 · 5 years ago · 1/72, Helicopters, Italeri, RAF, RAF 100 GB, Wessex, Westland
  • Profile Photo
    Allan J Withers said 5 years, 10 months ago:

Thanks George.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 years, 10 months ago:

Wow Allan !
    You my friend are a helicopter building machine ... and each one of them looks great.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Louis.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 5 years, 10 months ago:

Impressive stuff Allan - the interior is looking great - lots going on 'inside' your builds - fantastic!

• Profile Photo

Thanks Paul.

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 10 months ago:

Great detail work, looking forward to this progressing. Enjoy watching your builds, clean, detailed, straight to the point, and great quality. And there's always something a little different.

• Profile Photo

Thanks David, a little modification to the exhausts !

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

I added some collective sticks (not in the kit) to the cockpit and joined the fuselage halves !

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Some bits added to the fuselage !

• Profile Photo

Going great guns Allan. I have been looking at a fair bit of RAF100 stuff recently and I thought of this build while reading that 84 Sqn was one for the original RAF. It flew SE5a's between 1917 and 1919, so presumably on April 1st 1918 converted from RFC to RAF (they were based at RFC Beaulieu). Just another reason for this being a cracking choice! David LS is so right - your additions and modifications make all the difference!

• Profile Photo

Thank you Paul, wiki' tells me 84 is the only serving Sqn never to have been based in the UK !

• Profile Photo

Could be that they left as RFC and converted while abroad I guess. RAF site, which doesn't differentiate RFC/RAF always, says they have been overseas since 1920 - but I seem to remember 84 disbanded in 1919 before reappearing. Either way they have been away a long long time!

• Profile Photo

Some filling sanding and more filling !

• Profile Photo

More sanding, a bit more filling and a white base for the blue band around the fuselage and the overhead console painted black !

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

At this stage its becoming clear we are starting to look at something a bit special here - looking really very good Allan!