Where was the RAF at Dunkirk?

Started by Paul Barber · 148 · 5 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Allan J Withers said 5 years, 8 months ago:

Coming along nicely and looking good Paul.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 years, 8 months ago:

Yes it is... I agree with Allan.

You have made some good progress my friend. Thanks for posting the latest updates. I always look forward to seeing your latest work. Very meticulous and detail oriented.

The Airfix Hurricane is one of their best from the "New" Airfix in my opinion. The only thing I recommend you do is to lightly sand down the thickness a little on the main wing spars. If you don't, then you will have a hard time getting the wing halves to join together. It can be done, but a lot of force will be involved.

I also found a small sink mark present on each side of the fin assembly, just at the leading edge of where the stabilizer would attach. It's easier to fix it before the stabilizers are glued in position.

I hope this helps...

I like it... 🙂

• Profile Photo
    Peter Hausamann said 5 years, 8 months ago:

Enjoying this build log of yours Paul. Looking forward to more updates.
    Keep up the good work.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 5 years, 8 months ago:

Thanks gents - Louis I will look out for those elements as I go. I will dry fit rigorously around the Hurri wings!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 years, 8 months ago:

Speaking of Hurricane wings, I found this photo of an original unrestored wing online.

Enjoy !

• Profile Photo

Wow, Louis, that looks like it has been through the wringer! Interesting to see the mix of interior green and aluminium on the frame!

Thanks for posting - very illuminating!

• Profile Photo

Here is an update that has been a long time coming!

The Lysander interior is inside the fuselage - the canopy was a lousy fit -probably my fault but there was significant filling to do. I didn't much enjoy the design of the canopy in so many parts. Anyway here are some snaps of the styrene filled gaps - fingers crossed for smoother passage now (although I am not convinced)!

The Hurricane is a different story altogether.

The Eduard etch for the interior seems of a higher quality than usual - either that or I was having a good day with it.

The cockpit is a complex build when you add in the etch, but it fits very well.

Here are some WIP shots.

The metal seat from the Eduard set.

The office taking shape.

Details in the (nearly) finished office.

A couple of bits still to attach, and a clean up - perhaps a very light wash.

Next I will build the Spitfire interior; build up the rest of the Lizzie; and lock away the Hurricane interior - having had a careful look at the fit of the wings and the gun bays!

• Profile Photo

Just sat the cockpit sub-assembly in position on the lower wing

And a couple more shots of the Eduard etch in place.

• Profile Photo
    Peter Hausamann said 5 years, 8 months ago:

Beautiful detail. It's going to be really lovely looking model.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 5 years, 8 months ago:

Excellent Paul, perfect reason I love the Eduards zoom set, the enhancements really helps an already pretty good cockpit from the base kit. Just really makes it pop. Well done. The Lysander is really coming along as well. This is the one kit I am so looking forward to it's completion. Very inspirational. Looking forward to the next stage.

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 8 months ago:

Like everyone else, I’m really enjoying this thread - great photos and writing, lots of interesting contributions, and the models themselves are just stunning. Thanks, Paul.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 5 years, 8 months ago:

Hi Paul:

Very nice work on this. A couple things for information (mostly for others right now and for you in the future) regarding seatbelts.

1. That "Y" shaped piece of the seatbelt on a Sutton harness should have the tips of the "Y" glued to the harness just behind the buckles. Google "photos of Sutton harness" you will see what I mean, and Eduard's instructions make a point of this since it's "obscure information."

2. In all my years flying, I never saw "neat" seat belts - they get twisted around, sat on, saturated in sweat, etc. etc. The result is they aren't neat. With Eduard p-e seatbelts, this is easy to represent - you can bend and twist the metal easily (not too much! Just a little bit!) then "plop" them in the seat when you attach them. (this is something one only becomes aware of through direct experience)

Other than that (and this isn't a complaint) that cockpit looks very realistic, and I am sure 99.9999% of viewers will never notice the things I said about the seatbelts. But since you like realism (and do it so well) it's info for the next project.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 5 years, 7 months ago:

Thanks Tom. I think I can ‘fix’ the Y a little. And the ‘messying up’ was one of those remaining things. The ‘hanging’ parts are still due a little bending. The Lap belts have had theirs.

It’s interesting the Eduard instructions are not as clear as they might be. I’ll post a picture later. They show the top of the Y bent over and make it easy to assume that it goes over the seat. The arrows (not wonderfully clear) on their diagram also suggest that the glueing of the Y is above the buckles.

All of which is not true, as you say.

Now that I have looked at pictures it’s a no-brainer. As you always say - and I tell the kids at school - you learn more by getting it wrong! The other thing is I have built these before and never done that - so go figure. I guess I read too much into the instructions!

I’ll have a play with a sharp knife and see what I can do to get it into shape!

The Spitfire of course will benefit greatly!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 years, 7 months ago:

Outstanding postings as usual Paul... I am very impressed with how great those extra Eduard bits look. They help to bring a very good "out of the box build" up to the next level, and knock it out of the park...

I always seem to learn more from my mistakes than anything else... I guess hat's why they call it the "school of hard knocks".

By now I'm a graduate of this school as the class valedictorian.

Looking forward to the next installment... well done my friend.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 5 years, 7 months ago:

Thanks Louis, the thing that frustrates me a little about Eduard is they don’t show images of the parts once constructed. So they leave a little to interpretation. I should have got this right - but as you say this is a very good pe set. I’d highly recommend it despite my mistakes. Right, where’s that knife...?