Where was the RAF at Dunkirk?

Started by Paul Barber · 148 · 5 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 years, 6 months ago:

Excellent update Paul... With the school holidays here now, you just might get some more "bench" time. Looking good my friend, and I like the variation of pre shading...

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 5 years, 6 months ago:

Here’s a brief update. The first coats of Dark Earth over the mottling. For the Hurri the areas to be painted green have been coated more thinly. And for the Spit I have left the areas that are going to be green unpainted. In both cases I have painted the rough shapes to be finished in dark earth by hand. It is likely that I will complete the green freehand too. Photos of planes from the winter of 39-40 leading up to spring and Dunkirk sometimes show heavy weathering and a faded look. So the contrast between the colours was less sharp.

• Profile Photo

19 Sqn at Duxford in 1939

245 Sqn at RAF Kenley in 1940

Battle of France Spitfire Mk 1 April 1940

• Profile Photo
    David Mills said 5 years, 6 months ago:

Nice going Paul, I always find RAF schemes surprisingly unnerving to paint - the thing is when you get the green on, it all comes together! The mottling is working well with the dark earth.

• Profile Photo
    Peter Hausamann said 5 years, 6 months ago:

Interesting to see how you paint aircraft with an airbrush. Never done that before. Thanks for showing old B&W photos. Wonder what the boys are doing on bottom photo.

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 6 months ago:

Paul, this build log is priceless. When/if I get around to building my Tamiya 1/32 IX this is the ‘go to’. Just so helpful on every level.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 years, 6 months ago:

Paul,
    @yellow10
    This is some amazing work ! The pictures you posted of your painting of the Hurricane and the Spit show the pre shading looks fantastic... I also like the original era B & W photos.

Icing on the cake... 🙂

If you don't mind, I would like to use the 19 Squadron Spitfire photo as a reference. It just so happens that one of the Spitfires I'm building is the 4th plane back "WZoH".

Yes David,
    @dirtylittlefokker

This is indeed a wonderful journal to use as a reference. Paul is leading the way with these builds.

• Profile Photo

Louis, of course! Glad to have fortuitously posted it!

Here are some updates:

Looking a little shiny! But decals are going on and the schemes are looking approximately as planned. The bench is clearing. I’m looking forward to getting the dullcoat on!

• Profile Photo

More decals going on. Most of the painting is done apart from some of the gun bay panel interiors - a quick spray of aluminium will finish that. Then to add the wings to the Lizzie - thanks Tom C, I have filled and sanded as appropriate to get the dihedral right. After that small parts to be added and a dull coat. My plan is to have them complete this weekend.

• Profile Photo
    James B Robinson said 5 years, 6 months ago:

Paul @yellow10, these are looking great! Looking forward to the final product.

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 6 months ago:

Stunning, Paul. One ‘takeaway’ from your build posts has been the level of care you take on a project. I’m slowly ingraining that habit into my work but a way off this standard. Your build logs have had a very real impact on my modeling.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 5 years, 6 months ago:

Looking very good!

• Profile Photo

James - I’ll be glad to move on. The Lizzie is not a great fit as mentioned, while the Airfix kits have been joy to build. I don’t think I’d do a multiple build again unless some sort of Dio was involved. I like the link between these planes - through The Battle of France/Dunkirk - but I’d like to see them on an airfield - especially as I have opened gun bays on the fighters. I’ll try to be creative with the photography!

Tom - thanks - you have been an ever present help through this project. It’s really appreciated.

David, creativity comes hard to me. It seems to flood through you. I’m a plodder and I try to take on techniques. I’m a little anxious (your field) about making glaring errors. So I take time and advice! But technically you are fantastic too. So I’d say you have the technique and the creativity - I am trying to expand both.

• Profile Photo

It has rained for five days here. Heavily. With 2 boys (5 and 7) rattling around indoors plans change! Slow progress on details. Although the Lizzie has wings and a machine gun, now. And setting the dihedral to 3 degrees was required a little jiggery-pokery and the movement of the struts as highlighted by Tom C previously. Pain in the rear, but essential to avoid an ugly sag.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 5 years, 6 months ago:

Glad I could help you avoid that, Paul.