1/48 Monogram F-15C Eagle

Started by Louis Gardner · 5 · 3 years ago · 1/48, Desert Storm, Eagle, F-15C, Monogram
  • Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 7 months ago:

This is another American single seat Air Force superiority fighter aircraft I have in the stash, that should be built for this Desert Storm group build. This is a kit that made it's debut in the late 1970's or early 1980's going from memory. As such, it doesn't have the same fit and finesse the newer F-15E two seat fighter has. Starting with the instructions , this one is not nearly as well defined as the newer F-15E model is.

The parts are more crude and the fit is not as good either. But I am going to be building it up come hell or high water. Here you can see the rear half of the cockpit assembled.

Time was then spent on getting the rest of the single seat fighter's air frame assembled. The air intakes were glued in lace, and the fit rather well to my surprise.

The rest of the fuselage was assembled and the basic air frame is taking shape.

The nose gear assembly is nice, I sprayed it using Flat White as the color. The main gear wells were glued in place on both F-15's. You can tell a huge difference between the earlier model and the later model F-15E Eagle. These parts look better and they even fit better.

These next pictures show you the landing gear bays for the F-15E

The ones for the earlier F-15C are more of a plain and simple design. The fit is still on par however.

The upper half was glued to the lower half, and presto ! You almost have completed building your F-15 ! Not exactly, but pretty darned close. Here you can see the single seat F-15C as it is now ready for the nose to be assembled and installed.

These next pictures will show you the differences between the two model kits, the F-15C is shown on the left in this next photo.

Here it is shown on the right side and the two seater F-15E Eagle is on the left.

This next picture shows the F-15C by itself.

The main gear wells have been installed and painted white.

The F-15C Eagle is seen in the right side of the next photo.

More work will continue tomorrow, so as usual,

all comments are encouraged. Thanks for looking. I haven't ever built this many jets in years...

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 7 months ago:

Interesting to see this oldie (classic?) kit compared to a later version. After all they make a good basic addition to the collection.
    As for the number of jets you have built - maybe it is because they are jets they go together so fast? What do I know. Anyway, I'm also strapped in on this build, and looking forward to it too!

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 7 months ago:

That's great, Louis @lgardner!
    It's so nice to see your skills being implemented in "the jet zone".
    Isn't it just great to assemble old classic kits and bring them to life?
    Looking forward to your progress in the " jet zone"!

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 3 years, 7 months ago:

Jets actually take me longer to build than any WWII fighter. While recently building the F-14, almost a year, while building several WWII aircraft at the same time. Multi-engines like the Betty, He-219 do take a while, but a P-38 I can put together rather quickly. To me once you get past the interior, the fuselage wings come together rather quickly. Though the Jill did take me a bit longer than expected. I do remember building the Monogram F-15C when it first came out. It was released about the same time with the F-4C by Monogram as well.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Robert Royes said 3 years, 7 months ago:

Looking good, Louis! In a similar Monogram released single and two seat F-15's in 1/72.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.