Airfix 1/72 General Dynamics F-16A Fighting Falcon, ”Desert Storm”, 1991

Started by Spiros Pendedekas · 74 · 2 years ago · 1/72, Airfix, Desert Storm, F-16
  • Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 7 months ago:

Hi everyone!

First, big thanks to our Admin Chuck @uscusn, for the conception and running of this great GB!

(and for the fact that he is very patient with my 1/32 Tornado entry, which is stalled for a while... 🙂 )

Here is my entry of the Airfix 1/72 F-16A, that I intend to finish as ANG's #79404 bird, based at Al Kharj Air Base in Saudi Arabia, during Operation "Desert Storm", 1991.

The kit is part of the Airfix 100 Years of Flight collection set (1903-2003)

It is a very simple, old, a basic kit, might I add. But in 1982, when it was introduced, it might have been a dream kit for some of us.

This will be a gift for my 8yo beloved godson, as he asked for "an F-16"!

Here's a look at the sprues:

And the instructions, all nice and clear

Decal sheet looks good:

Started it an hour ago, here is the progress so far...

And the inevitable QC evaluation/test flight...

Haven't decided if I will build it wheels up or down yet...

Thanks for stopping by!

• Profile Photo

After Initial coarse sanding, a treatment with liquefied styrene took care of the gaps, especially around the intake. Then, another coarse sanding took place. Here she is...

Putty to follow.
    Thanks for stopping by!

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 2 years, 7 months ago:

From the huge Sukhoi to the tiny Falcon, you’re going full spectrum here Spiros 😉
    Seems the QC is satisfied, so let’s see what comes ahead for your Falcon. A wheels up iwould be a fantastic option

• Profile Photo
    Jordyn Collier said 2 years, 7 months ago:

Looking forward to seeing this F-16 take shape!

• Profile Photo

Then wheels-up shall it be! my friend @holzhamer!
    Yep, what a nice change from the big, complex 1/32 Sukhoi, to the simple, petite 1/72 Falcon!
    Thanks my friend @1corsair64!
    Meanwhile the Falcon was puttied and sanded, next is doors' installation!

• Profile Photo

Moving on...

Doors attached closed, wing tanks, mavericks and their TERs assembled, wing pylons attached. Here they are...
    Thanks for stopping by!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 7 months ago:

Seems to become a fast build, Spiros @fiveten
    It must feel tiny compared to your Sukhoi.
    Always good to have a personal QC engineer nearby.
    Looking forward to all the equipment applied to the wings.

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friend @johnb!
    Yep, a quick build, just to "relax" after the Sukhoi!

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 2 years, 7 months ago:

That is a great change of pace Spiros as mentioned by our friends. i believe I have this same kit from Airfix but in a different promotional boxing that comes with a paint set. Still have it in the stash. Looks like it builds up rather quickly. I would still probably find a way to prolong the assembly myself. And it looks like it survived the initial inspection.

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friend @uscusn!

Yes, the kit builds quickly enough, as to be considered a "change of pace" and a "mojo booster", after some previous longer builds. In fact, I start to kind of love such quick builds, sneaking in between the more complex ones, keeping the mojo at positive levels!

For some reason, whenever I thought of Desert Shield/Desert Storm, the F-16 did not spring immediately into my mind. But the F-16 played a vital role there, so this simple, quick and otherwise humble build serves as a corrected info restorer, regarding this amazing aircraft and the most important role it played during those Operations.

Again, thanks my friend for running this great GB; I promise to come up with my "MIG EATER" Tornado very soon!

• Profile Photo

The Mavericks had totally bland exhausts, so I hollowed them just a tad, in order to make them look unbland (the real exhausts have a very distinctive look, far beyond the scope of this build...). Then the Mavericks were attached onto the TERs.
    The basic model underwent another filling, ready for the final sanding:

Thanks for stopping by!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 7 months ago:

The Mavericks do look much more realistic now, Spiros @fiveten
    Personally I also prefer the A-version, maybe because I grew up with those.

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friend @johnb!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 2 years, 7 months ago:

I have to admit I really thought they looked ugly when they first arrived, but having had the pelasure of seeing the A/B's up close and personal, I have come to like them. Now the Hellenic F-16 at Aalborg some years back with all its grime and messy paint and the dorsal tanks - looked awesome!
    Nice detailing in this build my friend, even if its is "just" a relatively plain build.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 6 months ago:

Thanks my friend @airbum!

You must have seen a Block -52 at Aalborg: their paint was of the "stealthy" type, which roughly very quickly became dirty and ended a homogeneous, unidentifiable "gray"...

Block -52 "Advance" feature an evolved paint, that looks more like "normal" paint and is more dirt and fade resistant, still"stealthy", though.

I haven't touched this model for a week, as I gave priority to the Otter, which I just finished.