Airfix 1/72 General Dynamics F-16A Fighting Falcon, ”Desert Storm”, 1991

Started by Spiros Pendedekas · 74 · 2 years ago · 1/72, Airfix, Desert Storm, F-16
  • Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 6 months ago:

Thanks my friend @j-healy!

• Profile Photo

Decaling continues...

The specific bird carried a nice falcon at the starboard fuselage... ...a ferocious low-viz snake at the port... ...and an impressive nunber of missions onto the NLG door outward side... Quite a non-standard and very beautiful Viper! A few more decals have to be applied (and, might I say that a beefed up decal sheet breathes life onto a not that modern and detailed kit)...
    Thanks for stopping by!

• Profile Photo

I came across a pic of the actual plane, clearly indicating that walk lines were not used. Airfix had this correct, yours truly thought that walk lines HAD to exist, otherwise what is the use of "WAKLKWAY - DO NOT WALK" stenciling?

Well, interestingly "WALKWAY - DO NOT WALK" stencils were used, but no lines: those were applied only at the export Vipers of that time, whereas they were seemingly adopted also by US Air Forces later on! As our friend @j-healy stated, there's a lot more to the F-16 than we might think there is!

To make a long story short, I carefully removed the walk lines (yes, by using water and my nails...) from the Desert Viper, with only the "WALKWAY DO NOT WALK" stenciling destroyed; thankfully, a leftover decal sheet from a same build saved the day!

Here is the Viper sans the walk lines:

Thanks for stopping by!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 6 months ago:

Those are indeed very nice decals and stencils making it a clear non-standard bird, Spiros @fiveten
    Great you were able to 'easily' remove those lines.

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friend @johnb!

• Profile Photo

Main decaling almost done, onto the stores decaling now!

Thanks for stopping by!

• Profile Photo

Nice, almost there, Spiros @fiveten

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friend @johnb!

• Profile Photo

-Main model decaling is finished
    -Mavericks and Sidewinders decaled, as well, missing some final painting and touch ups
    -Cockpit is under preparation, ncluding the pilot
    Here they are...

Thanks for stopping by!

• Profile Photo

Very nice work on the armament, Spiros @fiveten
    Those mavericks are really huge compared to the overall dimensions of the F16.

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friend @johnb! Indeed, they look huge: the F-16 can carry so much stuff for its size, it is simply amazing!

• Profile Photo

Some more bits...

Exhaust cone attached, cockpit almost complete, pilot in process of painting... Thanks for stopping by!

• Profile Photo

Great progressing, Spiros @fiveten.
    Just a few steps left, although they usually consume most of the time.

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friend @johnb!
    Indeed, the last bits are usually no "bits" at all, consuming quite a lot of time!

• Profile Photo
    Csaba said 2 years, 6 months ago:

Hmm, did not know that Airfix made F-16. Our old local hobby shop had only WW2 kits form Airfix. Looks great, I am happy to see all of these aging kits being built even in 2021.