BMP-1 Iraqi Army, 1991 – 1/35 Trumpeter

Started by Colin Gomez · 5 · 3 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Colin Gomez said 3 years, 8 months ago:

Here is my BMP-1 WIP in its own thread. I have finished work on the suspension and front and rear plate details on the BMP-1.

Since I elected to go ahead with the delicate suspension while still working on scratch-building an interior, I have created a cardboard guard to prevent pressing down on the suspension arms and breaking them. Given the way the hull fits, I will have to press down quite a bit while checking the fit of the interior bits The guard is taped and glued on with white glue.
    As for the interior, I am starting with paper to get the shapes. Paper allows me to fold complex shapes in half and cut them for good bilateral symmetry (like making one of those "snowflakes" from paper but less complex ha ha). You can see one folded piece of the first stage in this pic above. I then proceed to the stage of cutting the major shapes from smooth white cardboard. I can test fit everything inside the hull this way and check alignment before using the paper and cardboard bits to cut styrene. Not much done yet but the technique is quite accurate and rewarding so far. The whole procedure is like working out how the interior should go together in a tactile, trial and error sort of way. In walk arounds, you have to look at multiple photographs from odd angles and you almost need to build it to figure out how the whole thing looks by physically lining things up (a bit of bricolage). It also helps in fixing shapes that you can make the templates without wasting a lot of glue and plastic. The support for the seats is still all cardboard. Here the ring and center engine bulkhead have already been cut from styrene and glued in. The side panels are still in cardboard. I will be reshaping the styrene version of the seat box as it could fit better. I also think it should be narrower towards the top. I have included a couple of interior shots to show what I am aiming at. The Trumpeter interior molding is a great start for the side walls and will only require fairly simple panels to complete basic walls and ceiling. The seats will be the greater challenge along with the detail bits.

I hope this explanation of technique so far is useful for some potential detailers.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 8 months ago:

Hi Colin @coling!
    What a great choice!
    I went over your technique approach, and I can say that I love it! It will allow scratchbuliding more accurate and more complex shapes. I will be tuned in here with great interest.
    This will be a super BMP!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 8 months ago:

Good idea to split up into separate journals Colin - will make this particular subject easier to follow. (I know, I have a "clusterbuild" in progress, but yours deserve the individual treatment)

Great tutorial on the interior - keep it comin'!

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 3 years, 8 months ago:

This is good stuff Colin. The kit may have been around on the BMP for awhile, but a lot of us which includes me have never looked into one before. And seeing the pics and your cardboard patterns now make sense in your technique in getting the interior as accurate as possible. And to make sure it all fits. The protecting the suspension trick is a great idea. Thanks for sharing so much great information and tips on building this kit.

• Profile Photo
    Michel Verschuere said 3 years, 7 months ago:

Great work @coling, I appreciate the instructive character of this thread. I think that the cardboard trial and error technique for interiors is a marvellous idea!