Multiple Builds: T-72, BMP-1, Warrior IFV , Bradley IFV

Started by Colin Gomez · 11 · 3 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Colin Gomez said 3 years, 8 months ago:

Hi Guys. I know I'm spreading myself thin with projects but I have a bunch of candidates for this GB. The point will be to choose. The first three are buried pretty deep in my stash but I plan to dig them out tomorrow (so I just used images from the Internet to show you which ones I have on hand). I have a resin replacement turret and individual link track for the T-72 to make it accurate without too much fuss about Iraqi Army vehicle details. I have Friul metal track for the Warrior and the bits to scratch-build an interior - of course it may have to be backdated somehow for 1991 and the Battle of Norfolk (British Army on the American Flank). Still, the model is still basically OK for 1991, I think (even if the box says 2003). The BMP is the easiest to do because Trumpeter's kit is so good and also no one is doing one, unless Michel has one in his dio. Lastly, there is the Bradley. M2A2s were in service in 1991 so I think it will be OK with just the add-on Big Foot Track. I have an additional Tamiya Bradley kit with an interior that I could cannibalize to detail the Academy kit- more work, though. I also have a Marine Abrams HA, but I think I will leave the M1A1 to more able and experienced tank modelers. I might as well add something new to the GB mix. Which of these would you guys prefer to see built?

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 3 years, 8 months ago:

Hey Colin, great choices, all those vehicles definitely played significant roles in Desert Storm on both sides. You hear very little about the BMP's but behind the scenes they were quite active bringing troops up to the lines and quite a few getting whacked on the way in by coalition aircraft of all types. Whatever vehicle you choose will be good one. Start cutting some plastic

• Profile Photo

Thanks for the encouragement, Chuck. I am getting more enthusiastic about this the more I get organized.

I dug out the kits and had a bit more on hand then I remembered. I have decided to finally finish the T-72, having accumulated the SBS turret with Iraqi Army decals, engine screens, an RB metal barrel and Trumpeter Track links.

I have already assembled the suspension and wheels, which are detachable for painting purposes. This should be a relaxing build in plain desert sand. I will probably do a bit of the salt method to show paint wear down to the original Russian Green here and there. I really like the aggressive look of the T-72, and I think the metal barrel really beefs it up and adds authenticity (and solves the finicky sanding problem when gluing together barrel halves).

I will also do the Trumpeter BMP-1, since it is very complete, and also a relaxing build, including link tracks, etch for engine screens and a hollow slide-molded gun barrel .

I had been holding off on this to do an Egyptian version but don't have the decals for that anyway.

Finally, I will do the Warrior at some point.

I have the metal tracks, a metal barrel, plating and an Eduard set to do the interior for the infantry seating and lots of photos for a fairly easy scratch-built interior. I also have a tube of AK anti-skid for the hull, although the British army version is so subtle, it may not need it. The Warrior will be a nice compliment to the Challenger I I have already posted. The British effort against Iraqi armor in protecting the American flank doesn't get sufficient attention, so this will be my small contribution to representing that.

• Profile Photo

Here is the scheme I will do for the T-72 as found in the Osprey/New Vanguard T-72 Main Battle Tank book by Steve Zaloga (low rez pic). I really recommend this book, lots of interesting detail and very well-written. I hope I can get the Arabic script right. I will welcome a critique from anyone who knows the language as my painting efforts proceed. It's beautiful calligraphy and well worth reproducing correctly.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 8 months ago:

Colin, @coling
    You have done some nice work to the T-72. I also think it will look very good in the markings you have chosen. It looks like you have it all going on here, with a BMP and a Bradley too... Very cool ! I'll be watching for the next installment.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 8 months ago:

Hi Colin @coling! Those are some great entries. I will follow with great interest this all new (armor) area for me. I have to say your work looks great so far.

• Profile Photo

Excellent Colin on the research on the T-72, funny I just realize I started a DML Iraqi T-72, a very long time ago. Now I am going to dig into a parts box I have buried in the shed somewhere see if I can find it. That would be about the only place it should be. Totally forgot about it. Looking forward to the BMP and the Warrior. Good stuff!

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Louis. I may have to start sub-threads on this, building 3 or 4 models at once. I hope you like what develops.

Thanks, Spiros. I usually find armor more relaxing, although the details can get pretty challenging, if you want to get it exactly right (see update below). At least there are no clear parts to mask.

Thanks, Chuck. The DML T-72 is a good model. Glad you had the inspiration to dig it up. The Tamiya T-72 is more challenging then I thought as I add resin and photo-etch. It's getting close to painting stage, though (see below).

Here is my latest update on the T-72. It has been quite time-consuming so far. First I need to blank off the gaps that Tamiya left that let the light show through from the hull.

I realize the tracks would partly cover this and also the skirts, but I had to fix it. You never know how the gap could peek through in the end when it is too late to fix it. It was tricky to fill without distorting the shape of the hull but I went about it carefully with no issues in the end.

Next was to add as many of the details as possible on the hull and pretty much empty the sprues.

I was constantly looking at pics of Iraqi vehicles in figuring out what to glue on and how. The Tamiya kit is surprisingly accurate in details but I will be doing work on the turret (see below). The fuel drums are placed, rather than glued while I finish other major work. It is good to be able to strip the model down a bit before painting and not have too much sticking out to break off.

The resin turret has been the major challenge. There is a ton of etch, which is really difficult to glue to resin with superglue.

Many hours of work so far and to come. I have also modified the build suggestion to use Tamiya parts instead of the etch or resin in key places mainly because the etch is too weak to hold parts on (and sometimes the Tamiya part is actually more accurate!). Thus I have had to experiment and modify the tool box clamps, test fit, break off and re-fit many times. The buckles on the rear box were maddeningly intricate to bend into shape (many bits launched all over the work area and long periods of searching but they finally came together. They look quite nice, in the end, I think. I did not change the buckles on the other box, which are of a different type, but I did redo the mounting posts at better scale thickness (just test fitted for now and not glued on).

I was getting more skilled by the time I did the commander's hatch searchlight, which went together much faster.

I am currently working on the smoke grenade launchers. I took these for the Tamiya kit but had to reshape the bases to get them to fit at the correct angle on the SBS turret. I figured out how to arrange them using close-up photos of real T-72s.

This also dictated scratch-building the ignition wire harness from styrene rod and stretched sprue (for the fine wires to each tube). It is a slow process to get this detail attached to the resin turret with superglue (without breaking it) but it is working out OK now. BTW, I had all the launchers fitted before I found that the angle was wrong. so I broke them off before re-fitting them correctly.

So, that's it with one pic to sum up.

More work to do on launcher wiring, which I will finish with more flexible wire solder. There is also another harness on the other side to do. Phew. At least this is shaping up. Not too long now before I start painting, then adding screens and some some fine details best left to after the painting and weathering process.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 8 months ago:

Hi Colin@coling!

You are doing a wonderful job so far. All those Resin and PE add substantially to the looks and accuracy of the T-72. I liked your approach to still use kit parts, when the extras would not look better (or even look worse, or maybe pose a ton of difficulty to use with not really improved looks).

I also liked your approach to foresee things comoing, like blanking off spots that might let the light pass, being impractical to fix at later stages.

The T-72 looks spectacular already.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 8 months ago:

Colin, I think you would be right by making a new topic for each of the builds now that you have decided to start a few of them. It will be a lot easier to follow (and update I think). The loads of resin and etch combined with Tamiya 1/35 quality is going to be a real treat to watch! Keep them comin' 🙂

• Profile Photo

Colin, the T-72 is quite impressive. You are free to create separate build threads for each vehicle. Much easier that way.