Revell 1/32 RAF Tornado GR.1 ”Mig Eater”, Tabuk, 1991

Started by Spiros Pendedekas · 123 · 2 years ago · 1/32, Desert Storm, Mig Eater, Revell, Tornado
  • Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 8 months ago:

Hi everyone!

First, I would like to congratulate my friend Chuck @uscusn for the conception of this great idea of a group build. Thanks for the invitation, Chuck!

The 1/32 "Mig Eater" Revell Tornado will be my first entry at this GB.

I had bought the kit 15 years ago from a local hobby shop for less (as I can recall) than 40 Euros. However, the boxart did not appeal to me (just not my taste). Imagine my joy, when I realized that my favorite "Mig Eater " scheme was included!

Here is the scheme, "borrowed" from Wings Palette, as it was depicted at the great "Military Aircraft of the Cold War" book. I will not dig into historical info now, as most of you are extremely familiar, not only with the Tornado, but also with the "Mig Eater" scheme. I will cover the historics at the completed model headlines section.it was an unbeatable price to beat.

Being a big and not necessarily uncomplex kit, it was resting in my SoD, waiting for its turn.

Well, inspiration and temptation are here: it's this great GB!

A lot of plastic can be seen in the kit contents: this is a big kit! Everything looks nice and promising!

The decal sheet is massive and excellently printed by Cartograph.

That's all for now, some ongoing projects have to be sorted out and I will soon start to cut some Sprue.

All the best!

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 3 years, 8 months ago:

Excellent choice Spiros, as this Tornado and the rest of her squadron mates was the resident RAF contingent flying out of Tabuk AB in the western side of Saudi Arabia. Seeing them constantly operating everyday. The Brits a lively bunch they were, nice boys. It was an honor to share space with them and their brews as well. Looking forward to this build as I was able walk around the actual aircraft back in the day. These Tornado's were worked hard and they performed very well in their taskings.

• Profile Photo
    Jeff Bailey said 3 years, 8 months ago:

Said Chuck: "it was an honor to share space with them and their brews as well."
    You got to share BREWS with them ?!?!?! LoL! Heck, we were forbidden to even THINK of a brew!

Seriously, while I had no alcohol over there (no big loss, even though I do appreciate a nice, cold bier occasionally) I did spend a great afternoon & evening with the great Brits who were assigned to our unit as advance scouts. I don't remember their exact unit designation but they were a unit of the VERY famous "Desert Rats." I still have a shirt / tunic that I traded something for. That and my Republican Guard beret are my most prized souvenirs from my time 'over there.' (I didn't TRADE anything for the beret ... I took the RepGuard soldier prisoner one afternoon and relieved him of his headgear.)

Spiros, this looks like a great kit & I KNOW that your finished product will be an awesome miniature of the real and outstanding aircraft! I look forward to seeing more.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 8 months ago:

Sign me in my friend. 1/32 - that is going to be HUGE!

• Profile Photo

Chuck @uscusn!

Jeff @mikegolf!

Erik @airbum!

Thanks guys! What a warm welcome! What awesome stories!

Now the sprue cutting has become even more tempting!

How long am I going to resist and give my existing projects "priority" over the "Mig Eater"?

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 3 years, 8 months ago:

That is going to be one HUGE model when done! The Tornado is another of my fav's for modern era aircraft, and love the desert scheme. Great choice.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Greg @gkittinger!

• Profile Photo

Had the kit contents checked by one of the two "usual suspects", Quality Assurance Representative 2 (QAR2):

He pointed out that "this is a lot of plastic!"

He verdicted the kit as "ACCEPTABLE", though...

• Profile Photo

Did it pass?

• Profile Photo

It did pass, but only after he took notice of the engraved panel lines, the so important for a modern jet relatively busy cockpit and the comprehensive decal sheet, @airbum...
    Also, a remark TBD (to be defined), regarding the accuracy of the swing wing option...
    They are tough...

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 3 years, 8 months ago:

Aha future aviator in the making Spiros, my son flies F-15's in the USAF. It does run in the blood.

• Profile Photo

How great, Chuck @uscusn! You must be proud! I am happy to know, too!
    Both of my kids love planes! A lot! It does run in the blood!

• Profile Photo

You really cant start those kids too early!

• Profile Photo

No, you cannot, my friend @airbum!...

Departure for vacations still delayed, so a starting progress:

I assembled the seats, consisting of 10 parts each. They look good! Though detail afficionados will opt for PE and resin upgrades. As there are a few decals to be attached y=upon them after painting, I think their look will be very good!

I then assembled the main parts of the cockpit. It too looks very good and quite complete.Some parts of the cockpit, plus the seats, will be left out, to be installed at later phases of the build.

I then trapped the cockpit between the two front fuselage parts.

Fit was good, but not perfect, requiring some microtrimming. Indeed, some flash is observed, especially at more intricate parts. Nothing that my Excel hobby knife and consumed time cannot handle.

Having learned some hard lessons in the past, I reinforced the LONG fuselage joints with inner styrene bits and liquified styrene.

There's nothing more annoying than a cracking joint upon the slightest pressure AFTER painting (and, of course, being impossible to reinforce afterwards from the inside...

This project is big! Just check the 1/48 Shinden behind the cockpit...

• Profile Photo

May the reinFORCEment be with you my friend! The Tornado is after all a two-seater and should be bigger than. . . OK - seriously, that is one mighty big kite you got there!