Revell 1/32 RAF Tornado GR.1 ”Mig Eater”, Tabuk, 1991

Started by Spiros Pendedekas · 123 · 2 years ago · 1/32, Desert Storm, Mig Eater, Revell, Tornado
  • Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 6 months ago:

Thanks my friend @johnb!

Indeed, brush painting it is!

One of the interesting points of the Tornados, modeling wise, is the fact that one can observe many small but noticeable variations in coloring of specific areas, not only through the years, but also in different aircraft of the same period. Such an area is the broad area at the fin base, which features some seemingly bare metal areas, possibly heat resistant to the thrust reverse flow. some of them were partially or completely over painted with camo color. It was interesting to see the "Mig Eater" with some of them over-painted, some time well after the Gulf War, freshly (re)painted. Luckily, I found a 1991 pic at the net, which shows clearly the unpainted areas:

Some modification has to be done at my already painted area at the fin base: seems there's no curvature, but a rectangle instead.

Modeling is such an amazing hobby: the more you research, the more you learn...

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 2 years, 6 months ago:

Thats the fun part is the research of your subject. Especially if you ever have been around them on the flight line. Though base overall Desert Pink may be just a one color scheme, Not quite. You have the grey in the wing fold area which is partially covered when the wings are folded back. The natural metal areas around the vertical tail. Black radome. The gun ports have a reddish hue/natural metal look to them. Adds character to the plane when you address these details. Your catching all these little details as you start the paint scheme.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 6 months ago:

Thanks my friend @uscusn!