US Armor of Desert Storm, battle of 73 Easting

Started by Michel Verschuere · 36 · 3 years ago · M1 Abrams, M3 Bradley, T-55, T-62
  • Profile Photo
    Michel Verschuere said 3 years, 8 months ago:

@uscusn
    I have been waiting for this kind of GB to come up and am honored with your invitation. I will build one or more vehicles, US and/or Iraqi related to the battle of 73 Easting on 26-27 February 1991.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_73_Easting

This was a major tank engagement whereby US and British armored divisions knocked the main elements of Iraq's fearsome republican guard units out of action. More info on the prior Wiki link.

I remember my late dad running out of the house when I was outside in the garden when he told me Saddam had invaded Kuwait in August 1990. War was inevitable then and I followed this major battle and the fine quotes of Norman Schwarzkopf with great interest!

I thank you for creating the framework for these build projects that had been on my planning list for quite a while!

Take care and stay healthy, Michel.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 3 years, 8 months ago:

Excellent subject Michel, a battle that involved several pieces of equipment even Army aviation units, so rather ambitious dio. This will be a Michel masterpiece. Can't wait to see what you have in store. Thanks for participating.

• Profile Photo
    Jeff Bailey said 3 years, 8 months ago:

I look forward to whatever you may do as well, Michel! As a Desert Storm Vet I really appreciate this new Group Build. I only hope I can get my act together and get something done for this GB. I misplaced my modeler's mojo a couple years back (right, Tom Bebout?!) but I'm getting closer to having a return to the builder's field!

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 8 months ago:

Great choice, Michel! As Chuck pointed out, it will be a Michel masterpiece indeed!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 8 months ago:

Michel, @michel-verschuere
    This is an excellent choice, I I am eagerly awaiting this one... All of your armor builds are exceptional, and I expect this one will be no different from your others. I wasn't a Desert Storm veteran, but I did serve for a brief time in the Abrams as we transitioned from the old M-60A1 series tank to the brand new M1A1...

Stay safe my friend.

• Profile Photo
    said 3 years, 8 months ago:

Michael, I WAS in the Battle of 73 Easting after we passed through the lines of the 2ACR at night (in the rain) during a very difficult Movement-to Contact with elements or the Iraqi Republican Guard "Tawakalna" 3rd Mechanized Division and Iraqi 12th Armored Division. We proceeded 2 Ks east to the Battle of Norfolk (75 Easting). That was one long night of 26-27 February 1991. Sadly, 1/41 Infantry lost 5 M2A1 BFVs that night and 5 KIA. My 1/35 scale model is of M2A1 BFV, "Delta Two-Six", 1/41 INF, 2AD (FWD) (Attached), 1st ID (Mechanized). I hope you like it and the accompanying photos and battle schematics. I was in 2nd Armored Division (Forward) out of Garlstedt, Germany, and we were attached to the 1st Infantry Division (Mechanized) as their 3rd Maneuver Brigade during Operation Desert Storm. Truly yours, "2AD Grunt"

• Profile Photo

@lc that is quite an experience, glad you liked my T-72 out of Syriah. The story of 73 Easting is quite amazing, M1A1s picking off one after the other entrenched T-62 and BMPs. Started to build a BMP-1 just today. Gotta do something when on hols! Best from Vienna, Austria.

• Profile Photo
    Colin Gomez said 3 years, 8 months ago:

Hey Michel. Just noticed that you are building the BMP-1 for your contribution. Will it be the Trumpeter kit? I have one in line as well but I will not start it until I have done my T-72. Your build will be an inspiration - looking forward to WIP pics. Did you find aftermarket decals or a suggested paint scheme? I haven't figured that out yet myself.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 8 months ago:

Hey there 11 Bang bang... @lc
    I just read your Bradley article again, and I wanted to say "Thank you for your service LT"... You can see the very personal connection to Delta Two Six

Michel, @michel-verschuere
    This is definitely going to be one of your Epic builds. Your Syrian T-72 was fantastic I am looking forward to seeing what you have in store for us here with your BMP.

• Profile Photo

Thank you very much Louis. Sad what happened to Delta Two-Six and her sister, Delta Two-One (both destroyed together in the very early morning of 27 Feb 1991) with 1 KIA. Bravo lost 3 BFVs and 4 KIA that same very long night of 26-27 FEB 1991. I felt with the 30th anniversary of Operation Desert Storm, I'd honor the memory of all 7 KIA and those who served in 1/41 Infantry, 2nd AD (Forward).

• Profile Photo

@coling I think the best BMP kits are Trumpeter in fact. I got to Austria two weeks ago for holidays. Because of Covid we will be staying a bit longer so I picked up an old Italeri BMP-1 kit in the only LHS in Vienna (modellbau Paul) to build a bit. This kit is old and has certainly big issues, no way you can leave hatches open unpunished and there is no detail on the underside... In this respect you are better off with Trumpeter, but I only have a BMP-2 from that brand. I will post a picture soon. I built it as far as I could but now must take it to my desk in BE for upgrading. I simply did not take enough tools up tge mountains here 🙂

As for tge decals, I used an Echelon set "Syrian AFVs" but also printed some myself on decal paper with my inktjet, mainly for tge dio and road sign. Stay tuned my friend!

• Profile Photo

@lgardner thanks for your support mate, will try and do you honor as well as @uscusn and everyone here!

• Profile Photo

@lc what type were these Bradleys, sure M2 but I don't think there were M2A2 already in 1991? Just looking for the right kit...

• Profile Photo

Very good question Michel. The BFVs 1/41 INF used in Operation Desert Storm were the M2A1 version. However, after the "Ground" phase of ODS ended and the "Cease-fire" phase began, I/41 INF's 6 destroyed M2A1 BFVs were replaced with the brand-new M2A2 variants that were held back in tactical reserve. Most crews had never trained on the A2 variant, but quickly got up to speed with becoming familiar in the field (especially since the Cease-fire was in effect). The A1 variants were the last to have the capability to "swim" in an amphibious role (although VERY rarely ever performed). The A2 version BFV had 100 more HP in the engine, heavier armor, and no more side firing ports. In the attached photo is the replacement for the original "Delta Two-Six" (which was destroyed on 27 FEB 1991). This was the 'new' "Delta Two-Six" (which was the then-new A2 variant) near the Baghdad-Basrah highway after the Iraqi surrender (around April 1991).

• Profile Photo
    Jeff Bailey said 3 years, 8 months ago:

Sooo many memories. I WISH I had the photos I took. I had my Driver's cameras up on the turret with me, so he could concentrate on driving. I took at least a hundred photos for him that I've never seen. You see, my unit wasn't actually AUTHORISED any heavy armor, but since 1/4 Cav is the lead element of the Big Red One, someone way above me waved a magic wand and ... VOILA! Quarter Cav had a partial unit's worth of tanks! (9 not including the 2 for the Squadron Commander and his XO) Those 9 formed my platoons - 3 to each 'platoon;' 3 to Alpha Troop, 6 to Bravo Troop. Naturally, though - after the war was officially over, those UN-authorised tanks & crewman were re-assigned to tank units, so I never saw him again after he returned stateside nor did I ever see those photos I took for him.

So sad.