1/48 Accurate Miniatures Grumman TBF-1 ”Early” Avenger, VT-8, Torpedo Squadron 8

Started by Louis Gardner · 58 · 6 years ago · 1/48, Avenger, Grumman, Midway Group Build, TBF, Torpedo 8, VT-8
  • Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 7 years ago:

Beautiful work on the instruments. You know they're there, right? Work above and beyond! I envy you the ability to actually eyeball the Bronze Green yourself. Great stuff!
    What did the guy in the second seat do? I thought the radio/gunner downstairs aimed the bombs, not sure about the torp.

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 7 years ago:

Excellent work so far, especially all the effort put in to back date accurately! It's going to be a stunner when done. One question of paint philosophy I have came to me when you mentioned the bronze green mixture: do you lighted up your paint any to account for "scale effect?" Since I build only in 1/72, I find that if I paint exactly to standards (FS or whatever), everything just looks a bit too "toy-like" and dark for the scale. Over the years, I've even started leaning to a bit lighter than even "scale" to account for sun bleaching, and sometimes just artistic impression.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 7 years ago:

Thanks Bernard ! Yes I was very fortunate to have actually seen the "Bronze Green" in person. It's a very unique color indeed...

The "second seat" was for use by the "radio man / ventral gunner / bombardier". Some sources say that the first 50 Avengers produced also had a second set of flight controls in this position, while other sources say that just the gauges were present and the controls were deleted.

On the TBF-1C this second seat was removed and radio equipment was placed in this space. On the early TBF-1 that I saw I didn't remember the seat being present. But it may have been already removed as the restoration was well underway.

Here's a few pictures of this morning's progress.

I glued in all of the parts mentioned in the instructions for step 1. Only later did I realize that I glued the parts into the wrong fuselage half ! Oh well. So far, so good... but I still have to complete the rear tail section interior bits.

This photo below shows how everything fits together.

The radio compartment below:

The pilot and radio operators positions:

The bulkhead and turret sub-frame.

Close up of the pilot's cockpit.

Here's a small difference between the early TBF-1's. The radio operator's seat was mounted along the length of the fuselage. Here's how mine looks after I modified it by cutting away the back rest.

On later model planes, the seat was moved a little closer to the radios and was oriented from side to side as it is depicted in the kit parts.

Here I am holding the fuselage halves together to see if there are any problems. So far the fit is looking good...

This is a cool picture... It shows the radio compartment as you are looking into the rear side crew entry door.

This is the last photo for now... It shows the remaining parts left to install in the rear fuselage section. This is the next step...

To be continued...

• Profile Photo

No Greg, the color I have used here is a very close match for the actual color. I will lighten this up a little with a very light wash of Newton and Windsor "Payne's Gray" oil paint thinned down considerably.

You are absolutely correct. These colors indeed look too dark when used in our scale modelling. I guess that's where a little artistic license comes in to achieve the scale effect. Sun fading is another aspect to consider... Both are great points.

Thank you Sir for the compliments on my Avenger !

• Profile Photo

Tonight I completed my mission for today and finished the fuselage.

Before I buttoned up the sides of the fuselage, I wanted to make some lap belts for both the front and middle seats. I learned something about these during my SBD / Richard Best Midway build. Apparently US Naval aircraft only had a lap belt at this time. The shoulder harnesses came along shortly afterwards.

So here is my humble attempt at reproducing the lap belts:

The next step was to install the rear most bulkheads. One bulkhead has the flare chutes and the other actually mounts the tail wheel assembly.

This photo shows the arrestor hook installed in the "Raised" position. The other small hole located at the lower base of the Fin / Rudder is for installing the hook in the "Lowered" position.

At this point it was really starting to shape up... Here's a photo below that shows all of the progress up until now.

Next up was the tail wheel assembly and rear "Stinger" machine gun...

Followed by a few last photos before the other half of the fuselage gets glued on...

Since I had everything completed and the fit was spot on, I went ahead and glued the other half of the fuselage in position...

Once that set up enough, I decided to glue the engine assembly and the elevators / stabilizers in place. Both of these items had been previously assembled.

It's starting to look more like a TBF Avenger ! I'm really pleased with how it has turned out so far.

I have a little filler work to do on the upper seam of the cowling, and I still need to reposition the landing light. Once that is done, I can glue the wings and cowling in place...

As usual, comments are encouraged.

• Profile Photo

Today I managed to install the cowling. This actually made it easier to take care of the seam on the very top...

I masked off the areas that I didn't want any filler getting on. This makes it easier to sand later... and much less likely to loose any more details than necessary during the sanding process.

Here's the results...

The cowling is nice and centered.

Then I tackled the wing mounted landing light. This is something that would have been a whole lot easier to do had I known about this earlier before I glued the wing halves together.

As luck would have it, I dropped the landing light inside the wing... I had to fish it out. Luckily I was able to get the light out ... after quite a while of trying.

Then I cut out a patch to cover the hole using thicker white styrene sheet plastic. Once I had the "plug" fitting properly, I simply glued it into place.

Then I gave these two spots a quick sanding to remove any high spots... and added some green filler to take care of any leftover gaps or low places.

Next step I drew out the pattern of the demarcation line between the camouflage colors of Light Gray and Blue Gray. I simply used several photographs as a reference for this and a pencil.

Starboard Side:

and Port Side:

This will help me to lay out the "Tack N Stick" that my friend Rick Wilkes told me about.

I have never used this stuff before, but I'm going to give it a try to see if I can get a better soft edge between the colors when I air brush the fuselage.

Thanks again for the tip Rick ! I'll let you know how it goes ...

Take care everyone. I hope you all have a "Good" Friday tomorrow and a Happy Easter on Sunday.

As usual, comments are encouraged...

• Profile Photo

I started out earlier tonight by sanding down the green putty after it had been allowed to dry overnight.

Once the sanding was completed on the cowling, I sprayed it with the sand able gray primer to fill in any imperfections that may still remain. Here's how the upper seam on the cowling looks now... Please keep in mind that this will get sanded again at least one more time with a very fine grit wet and dry sand paper. After these pictures were taken I restored the panel lines and rivets. Some of the detail was lost when it was filled in with the primer paint. That has been taken care of now.

The underside of the wing received the same treatment. This area will require several coats to fill in the imperfections to make it look as it should.

While the primer paint was drying, I decided to tackle the rear gun for the turret. This was pretty tricky as the instruction drawings were not exact on the placement of how these parts fit. It took some time to figure it out. It also didn't help that these parts had been pre painted which interfered with the glue, even though I scraped off most of the paint in the glue joints before any glue was applied...

Since I have several of these AM Avenger kits, and one just happened to be open and sitting next to the work bench, I decided to save myself some future trouble and assembled the rear gun for the other AM Avenger. I did this before any paint was sprayed... The fit of the parts and the gluing process was much nicer this time.

You can see the gray unpainted turret gun parts on the right side of this picture.

and on the bottom of this picture below.

Now that I have figured out most of the little trouble spots on this AM Avenger kit, I may go ahead a pre assemble these small sections in the other one that is sitting next to the work bench...

I hope you all had a nice Good Friday.

Please stay tuned for updates, and comments are encouraged.

Take care...

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 7 years ago:

Rumor has it that installing the completed turret into the completed fuselage is tricky. You can ask Craig about his experience.

• Profile Photo

I have read about the problems that people have had with installing the turret. I'm not really looking forward to doing this part. Thanks for the heads up though Bernard.

Today was really good for getting things done on my TBF. But there was also a minor problem too. Luckily it wasn't too bad.

Please follow along and I will explain.

I had to apply a small amount of filler on the bottom of the wing since a tiny chunk popped out when I was finishing up sanding on this area.

The cowling came out very nice however.

Once I finished the sanding work, I sprayed on some Light Gray on the bottom of the wings.

Here's how the conversion of the landing light turned out.

Since I was spraying the color I decided that I would mask off the bomb Bay Area and spray paint the fuselage too.

Once this dried I just had to test fit the wings in position on the fuselage. This is where I realized that this plane is going to be a decent size once completed. I know that the real one is massive once you get close enough to it.

Since I was on a roll, I masked the demarcation line between the Light Gray and the Blue Gray using a tip from Rick Wilkes and his wonderful adhesive putty. This stuff really works great ! I'll be using this one again.

This is the famous "Grumman Wave" on the forward fuselage.

And the rear fuselage. Here you can see how I used the clear window glue as a masking agent on the rear windows.

And how it looks after I removed the clear glue from the window openings.

Since I was REALLY on a roll now, I decided to go ahead and install the landing gear and wings.

The "Turkey" is on its own feet now !

So I placed the red and white striped rudder on next.

And that's when it happened... the minor setback occurred. I was touching up the propeller and the colors started to run together. Apparently I had mixed Tamiya paint with Model Master paints and they didn't get along too well once I sprayed Dull Coat over them.

But that gave me an excuse to paint some more Props in anticipation for future builds.

Can you name these props ? The two props on the left side are for the TBF Avenger. One is the one that the paint ran together on.

The rest of the props are all single engine US Navy WW2 fighter planes and all start with the designation "F"...

There are two identical props on the top right side of the photo. These are from two separate kits and fit the same type of plane.

Anyhow, this is where I'm calling it a day. And a good day it was.

Thanks for following along with this one.

Happy Easter everyone.

Take care.

• Profile Photo
    Rick Wilkes said 7 years ago:

Wow Louis, once you get the snowball rolling it just turns into an avalanche. Sweet looking Turkey you got there son. Glad the white tack worked as advertised for you. Did you mix that "blue-grey" or is that an off the shelf brand?

• Profile Photo
    Rick Wilkes said 7 years ago:

It took some digging but here's your Easter Egg,

http://web.archive.org/web/20090327114353/http://www.accurate-miniatures.com:80/builds/avenger/avengerturret.shtml

That my friend is the address for Bill Bosworth's directions for installing the Avenger Turret, with pictures of his hands and everything. More proof that nothing posted on the internet is ever really deleted.

This is the address for the support section from AM's old website that has all the build articles, instructions etc.

http://web.archive.org/web/20090210023605/http://www.accurate-miniatures.com/support.shtml

Feel free to wallow in a little nostalgia when going thru it, I,know I do lol

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 7 years ago:

Looking great!

• Profile Photo
    Paul Wilsford said 7 years ago:

That is some real modeling!

• Profile Photo

Thanks everyone for the compliments. I hope you all had a wonderful Easter.

Rick, I really appreciate the links on the "How To" article on the turret installation. That looks like it will help and makes a lot more sense now that I have seen how it should be done. Hopefully mine will drop in place fairly easy. I should be giving it a go soon... and I did spend some time there checking out some of the other articles. I especially liked the two articles with the color sections on the "Yellow Wings" Era planes... Good Stuff !

The answer about the paint is this is Model Master US Navy "Blue Gray". Straight from the shelf, but I thinned it a little to make it flow out a little better once it was sprayed on the plane. (sorry for the sideways pictures)

I managed to paint and install the propeller from another kit... while this one was drying I also cleaned the old paint from the original prop using "Easy Off" oven cleaner. I simply sprayed oven cleaner on the prop and let it sit for about 15 minutes. Then I washed it off and most of the paint fell off... I repeated the process a second time and used a small tooth brush on it to scrub the paint off that was remaining. After this second time all of the old paint was gone.

Since I was painting props, I added the original prop back into the assortment and was able to refinish it in later Wartime colors with a simple yellow tip warning instead of the "Red" , "Yellow", "Blue" arrangement seen here:

The bomb bay doors were next on the agenda... I scraped off the paint in areas where the glue was going. I opted to build them off the plane and install them as a completed unit. But they still took a while to set up. Some of the surrounding paint seeped back into the joint...

Here's how they looked once everything set up:

That's when trouble raised it's ugly head...

Remember the torpedo from the Monogram TBD Devastator ?

Well guess what ?

It's TOO LONG to fit in position with the Bomb Bay doors installed in the open position !

I thought this out and decided to try and shorten the fins on the rear of the torpedo...

Good so far, but the front section of the torpedo doors wouldn't fit either !
    So I had to trim off the lifting eye on the front of the torpedo... This allowed me to drop the front door hinge assembly into position. Once the doors were glued down, I glued the lifting eye back on the torpedo front. The shorter fins on the back half of the torpedo are not too noticeable... since they are hidden by most of the door hinge mechanism...

So if you are using this build log as a guide to building one of these AM Avengers, do yourself a favor and don't use the torpedo from another kit. Instead use only one made by AM or you may run into the same troubles I had... I will go back and edit the first post I made about the torpedo a while ago...

Once I got the torpedo doors in position, I heard a CRACK noise ! Then I heard something rattling around inside the plane... not good.

The rear most bulkhead where the small window looking into the bomb bay broke loose ! It was inside the back of the plane and was no longer attached at all...

This left a HUGE hole at the rear of the Bomb Bay area, as this part closes off the rear section of the bomb bay...

So I thought of a few choice words, and proceeded on with fixing the problem.

Needless to say it was not fun trying to get the part out of the plane, clean up the edges for gluing purposes, and reinstalling the part... and then holding it in place while it dried...

But in the end, I was able to complete my mission.

Here are a few pictures of the bomb bay doors after this area was given a light wash using Windsor and Newton "Lamp Black". The landing gear bays were also washed down with a light bit of Lamp Black since I was doing this. It really made the details pop out at you...

The cockpit area was given a light wash of "Payne's Gray" next...

Finally, here are the props from the earlier post after they have been completely painted. They may be a little easier to identify now...

The two props on the left are AM TBF Avenger props. One was used on this kit and another is ready to go since it has been scrubbed clean of all old paint and refinished..

The two props on the right side are for the same type of plane, and are from two separate kits... any guesses ? All of these props are for WW2 US Navy single engine planes.

Take care everyone.

I'm calling it a night.

Comments are encouraged...

• Profile Photo

Good news !

I just finished the turret... and it popped right in without any fuss... it must have taken about 10 seconds to do it.

I simply used the directions on the link above that Rick Wilkes posted.

Thanks Rick !

Here's a few construction photos of the turret...

in this picture below, I have everything painted. I also painted the outer edge of the armored glass plate that went in front of the gunner's face. The real one was like this... If you look close enough you can see the edge of the glass is green.

Here everything is test fitted in position to see just how it will eventually go.

These photos below shows the interior parts for the second turret that I am building for another AM Avenger kit. I decided to glue these parts together first and paint them later. It worked out perfectly this way.

Then the moment of truth ...

Following the link to the instructions that Rick posted above, I simply followed along with the photo sequence and the turret was installed in a matter of seconds.

You want to make sure that the turret assembly has dried very well before you attempt this part. If not it could pop apart easily.

Then the last step was to install the turret blanking plate. Here you can see it is installed between the turret and the rear cockpit bulkhead.

The TBF is getting much closer to being finished. I'm going to eat dinner and get back to working on it. All of the canopy parts have been painted and are ready to install.

To be continued...

Comments are encouraged.