1/48 Accurate Miniatures SBD-3 Dauntless, USS Enterprise VB-6, flown by Lt. Cmdr. Richard Best

Started by Louis Gardner · 82 · 7 years ago · 1/48, Accurate Miniatures, Dauntless, Douglas, Midway Group Build, SBD
  • Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 7 years ago:

You're welcome Rick. Glad I could help you with your B5N "Kate". That is going to be a great looking plane you are building. The Kate has nice lines to it. It's that HUGE wing !

This morning I started decaling the plane. Initially the arrestor hook was what I did first. I also painted the tail wheel.

I wrapped the landing gear oleo strut with "Ultra Bright" Bare Metal Foil, then painted the flexible rubber brake hose black. Once this was done I pressed in a small piece of bare metal foil into the landing light...

The wheels were glued on and I made sure the flat bulged part was sitting properly when the Dauntless was on it's feet...

Here's a photo of the SBD sitting as it should be... Right side up and on it's feet .

The larger decals were then installed.

Here's a cool photo showing a reference photo of "B-15" just as it returned to the "Big E" on June 4th in the background ...

and finally some of the smaller decals were started. I took care of the walkway stencils here.

Once I get the rest of the small decals on, like the Bureau Number and such, I'll leave it sit until the decals set up.

Meanwhile there's a few other little things I can do. It's getting closer !

Take care. Comments are welcomed.

• Profile Photo

Today was a rainy day here. So I took advantage of the chance to stay inside and work on the SBD.

I started off by finishing the decals. Once they had dried sufficiently, I gave the whole plane a coat of Future floor polish thinned down 50 percent with alcohol. This gave the plane a nice semi-gloss luster, which dried to more of a flat sheen.

Here the future is still wet... It really leveled out the finish.

Then it was time to paint and decal the 1,000 pound Mark 13 bomb... Once it had dried, I glued it into position on the center rack...

Here's how the underside looked then.

Next I removed the "Masking canopy". Here you can see how the future flattened out some...

Close up details of the cockpit after the radio direction finding loop was painted and installed, along with the hoisting cable and pilot's head rest...

Here's an overall rear 3/4 picture which shows even better the effects of the future after it dried. I tried to replicate the finish of a plane that was only a few weeks old...

I then masked off the actual canopy sections that I had planned on using in this build. I opted not to include the last rear most section. The instructions stated that this portion of the canopy was often left off on the actual planes.

I gave them a pre coat of interior green on the gunners sections, and flat black on the pilot's sections. This will give the illusion of interior frames being painted in the colors that were used on the Naval Aviation Museums SBD-3.

After cleaning out the air brush, I gave the canopy the final color of Blue Gray. I simply painted over the existing colors.

Then it was time to build the twin rear facing .030 caliber machine guns that were used by VB-6 on their SBD's during the Battle of Midway. After some detail painting, they look pretty decent.

Here's a picture of the cockpits just before I glued on the canopy sections. The details provided in this kit are simply amazing. I really don't see the need for anything after market here.

This is how it looks right now. All that is left to do is to install the stretched clear plastic antenna and do some minor touch up painting around the pilot's wind screen, where it connects to the fuselage.

It's almost done... Right now I'm waiting on the antennae to dry. Once it does then I can add the antennae wire.

I'm hoping to have it done tonight...

• Profile Photo

Well that didn't take too long ...

By the time I posted the last group of photos, the glue had sufficient time to set up. I made an antennae cable from clear plastic, and glued it in position. Then I did a little bit of touch up on the "Blue Gray" of the pilot's wind screen, the tips of the antennae where the cable attached, and top of the fin at the end of the antennae cable.

There you have it...

It's DONE !

YIPPEEE !

(I didn't weather this plane at all, since it was a fairly new plane).

I hope that Lt. Commander Best would have approved on how it turned out ...

Here are a few pictures of the completed model.

I will post another article about this plane, and the man who flew it sometime during the 75th Anniversary on the Battle of Midway in June.

Thanks again for the spinner Rick ! The last photo was for you... It looks pretty good installed there on the propeller.

I sincerely appreciate the kind words posted by you all during this build. This is my very first Accurate Miniatures SBD Dauntless build.

I have a feeling it will not be the last, the Good Lord willing...

As usual, comments are encouraged.

Take care.

• Profile Photo
    Rick Wilkes said 7 years ago:

Really well done Louis, glad I had the extra spinner. You're knocking them out pretty quick, are you going to do anymore subjects for the group build?

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 7 years ago:

Bravo! Louis well done, looking forward to your formal posting on this and the other aircraft you have involved in this amazing GB.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Bebout said 7 years ago:

Nice job Louis, look forward to the Midway reveal.

• Profile Photo

Thanks for the kind words (and spare parts 🙂 ) Rick. I was lucky enough to get a few good days of quality building time in here lately. Otherwise this one would probably still be on the work bench. Yes I have two more builds in the works that I need to finish. The 1/48 scale Accurate Miniatures TBF-1 "early" Avenger and the Monogram 1/48 PBY-5A Catalina, both of which have separate build logs started here in the Midway Group Build.

If I am fortunate enough to finish both of these kits, then I may start up something else. But for now the current plan is to finish what I have started first.

I like how your TBD Devastator and F4F Wildcat are coming along... It won't be too long and your B5N Kate will be right there too...

Thanks Chuck for following along with my builds and offering words of encouragement.

Like you my friend, I really have been enjoying this Group Build. I sincerely appreciate you being there with answers to my questions about starting the Midway Group. Your Devastator and P-38 are really shaping up nicely...

Tom, likewise... I sincerely appreciate everything you have done to help with my ongoing projects. The photos of the PBY were top notch and have really helped me with the Catalina. Thanks again buddy...

Your McCuskey F4F Wildcat looks like you have made some great progress with it too. If it turns out anything like your AMT P-40E did, then it will be a head turner for sure...

I want to thank you all for participating in this Group Build and for taking the time to share your masterpieces with us.

I am anxiously awaiting the reveals too...

Take care.