1/72 Hasegawa SBD-3 Dauntless

  • 22 posts
  • Last reply 1 year, 3 months ago
  • 1/72, Dauntless, Midway, SBD
Viewing 16 - 22 of 22 posts
  • Rick Wilkes said 1 year, 4 months ago:

    Greg, as a long time fan of the “Speedie D”, I am throughly impressed with your build. I know what it takes trick out a Hasegawa’s 1/48 SBD, but your detail work in 1/72 is just superb.

  • Greg Kittinger said 1 year, 4 months ago:

    Thank you gents! If it weren’t for my big old lighted magnifier, it would be an impossible task. A really good set of very pointy-ended tweezers helps a bit too!

  • david leigh-smith said 1 year, 4 months ago:

    Amazing work, Greg. Even with the magnifier and tweezers it takes guts and a hell of a lot of skill to produce work this good

  • Chuck A. Villanueva said 1 year, 4 months ago:

    Greg outstanding work and detail in this scale, 72nd scale jet is decent in size, but a WWII dive bomber is a challenge. Excellent attention to detail on the dive brake actuators. Can’t wait to see the final result.

  • Paul Barber said 1 year, 4 months ago:

    Really impressive Greg – I have just ordered my first styrene since returning to the hobby – so my first ever. This was inspired by looking at this thread – fantastic stuff! The detail you have achieved is jaw-dropping.

  • Greg Kittinger said 1 year, 3 months ago:

    One last update before the reveal next week: As mentioned earlier, I decided to cut the canopy so I could pose open. The challenge is in getting the sections to nest properly as they are obviously NOT scale thickness. The front section I just had to leave closed, and could only nest the 3 back sections. The two middle sections were ok, as all I really had to do was shorten the second-to-rear piece to fit beneath the usual stationary section. The real kink was in the rear section over the gunner.

    I started to look for some acetate to fold/bend into shape, but that was more trying than I realized. Next stop – look in the models parts bin for some discarded canopy section that might be close enough to be cut and shaped as needed. I found what I think was a tail cone enclosure, cut it down and sanded into shape. It was REALLY thick, so I also had to do some thinning, and then of course sanding and polishing.

    Here’s a couple of pics of the original pre-painted kit section (the wider one) and the new one.

    I was pleased with the way the nested pieces turnout out. The Dauntless is all finished except for adding the prop, so it’ll be ready next week!

  • Louis Gardner said 1 year, 3 months ago:

    Fantastic job Greg !!!! I can hardly wait for the reveal……………………..

Viewing 16 - 22 of 22 posts