SBD-3 representing B1 flown by LCDR Dick Best

Started by Rick Wilkes · 10 · 6 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Rick Wilkes said 7 years, 2 months ago:

I built this close to 20 years ago. As a form of self torture I decided to try to make a Hasegawa 1/48 scale SBD as detailed as the then newly released Accurate Miniatures kit.

I think I used a heavily modified KMC interior, an Eduard foto-etch set, spares and scratch built parts over the course of the better part of a year to finish it up. I think the reason I went this route was that I needed an SBD-3 and the only AM kit available at that time was their SBD-5.

When I had the kit painted and decaled, I contacted Tom Cleaver and asked if he could get it signed. Tom graciously agreed and a couple of months later I got the model back with LCDR Best's autograph. I finished putting the last bits on and put the model on my shelf. I've never taken it to a show as I'm afraid it would disappear.

I was never able to meet Dick Best in person but I'm proud to have a model of his aircraft in my collection.

8 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 7 years, 2 months ago:

WOW !
    That's an amazing build, and the autograph simply pushes it over the top ...
    I can only hope that my AM model turns out half as nice as yours. Thanks for sharing this piece of history with us.
    Please post it up again sometime in June between the 4th and the 6th Anniversary dates during our Group build reveals. I'm sure it will draw a lot of attention.
    Thank you.

• Profile Photo

Thanks for the kind words Louis, and I will post it on the main board in June.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 7 years, 2 months ago:

Fantastic news Sir ! Thanks again ... 🙂

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 7 years, 2 months ago:

Very nice build, and cool story.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Gregg

• Profile Photo
    Brian Scott said 7 years, 2 months ago:

Great story and fantastic looking Dauntless !

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 7 years, 2 months ago:

Rick, did you drill out the dive brakes? I remember I started to, and lost my enthusiasm quickly. Great piece of history you have there!

• Profile Photo

Hi Bernard, the dive flaps are photo etch steel that Hasegawa included in a special Midway issue. While I have in the past drilled out many sets of Monogram Dauntless dive flaps, tedious but doable, when I tried it on the Hasegawa kit the plastic would tear when drilling the holes along the trailing edge. I had planned to have the lower flaps down, but I didn't like the look so l left them closed. That's the normal "parked" position too.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 7 years, 2 months ago:

Rick, agree, not a happy experience. I was considering fotoetch, but Accurate solved my problem for me.