Hobby Craft 1/72 Canadair Sabre Mk6 – ”Golden Hawks”

Started by George Schembri · 35 · 3 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    George Schembri said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Thanks Allan (@kalamazoo) and Spiros (@fiveten)

I'll stay with the white primer then Allan - no need for the black primer.

I checked my inventory and I have a few options - could go Gold or Brass - but all I have are enamels.

I could spray the Testors Metallic Gold into a cup then apply using my Paasche airbrush.

Could use Humbrol 16 Gold or Humbrol 54 Brass or even MM1417 Non-Buff Brass - whatever I choose, it will be applied with the Paasche.

I can't tell the difference really between the Gold and Brass.

If my LHS has curb-side P/U I might give Tamiya X-12 Gold a try.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Mmmmm, old Humbrol enamels!
    Looking forward to your choice, George @georgeswork!

• Profile Photo
    Allan J Withers said 3 years, 2 months ago:

I should mention my GH is done in MM 1744 gold enamel, decisions, decisions !

• Profile Photo

I decided to try and get Tamiya X-12 Gold Leaf and has lucky to get it at a LHS Curbside P/U.

I figured I've had pretty good luck with acrylics later and wanted to continue my streak. I'm happy with Tamiya paint once again; although, this X-12 needed a little more thinning with X-20A than other Tamiya paints.

A quick coat of Future applied and she's one step closer to decals.

I was wonder what the upper fuselage tubing is which are in the Decal sheet photos and on the static display aircraft at the Hamilton Museum - I could not find any info regarding why that tubing is there - could not find any photos of 'in-service' aircraft with the tubing either.

Then I found an excellent 26 page document written by Bill Upton written specifically on the CL-13B Sabre and Sabre Mk6 Golden Hawks Serial 23651 aircraft. His writing indicate the Sabre on Display at Hamilton is the actually aircraft and has been on loan to the Hamilton Museum since 1999.

In document, Bill Upton indicated the tubbing is the aircraft's smoke system display's Dual Oil Spray pipes - so I might try to add this piping on the model - gonna give it a try.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Beautiful Gold shade, George!
    Great catch on the smoke piping! I think it is worth trying to replicate it.
    I have seen many similar pipings to aerobatics, some more pronounced than others.
    Keep up the excellent work!

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 3 years, 2 months ago:

If you're not too far along, George, if you repaint with Tamiya gloss black thinned 50-50 and misted on for a thin smooth coat, then go back over with the gold paint, also thinned 50-50 and misted on with repeat till you get a solid coat, you will be able to get that shade of gold on the real airplane.

• Profile Photo
    Morne Meyer said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Hi George. Your gold finish looks superb. She shines in all the right places. Looking forward to seeing the final product. Well done!

• Profile Photo

Looking good George, if you want to follow Toms suggestion try it on something else first, that gold may just be a lighter shade, my CAC C27 single smoke pipe is in a different place, I used fuse wire held on with Pledge and a hole at the front, also T 35, and a little different RA Hawk.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 2 months ago:

I like it a lot. Great info on the smoke system - a bit easier on a piston, as it usually has the oil pipe in the exhaustpipe 🙂

Regarding the shade of the gold, for all that I can see on my screen, the second picture in Allans first comment looks a lot brighter than others. Especially with metallic color it is never easy to hit the correct color - not even using the same paintbatch! Whenever you are happy with the color that is when it is right George @georgeswork!

• Profile Photo

Well, the silver decal trim had begun, soooo... the present shade of gold remains.
    I guess I could have experimented with the shading on some spare parts prior to the final coating.
    Allan (@kalamazoo) - I think I will try to use the wire technique, I was gonna use stretched sprue but I think I can get a better shape from some stiff tinning wire.

• Profile Photo

Not sure about the tinning wire George, but the fuse wire bends easily and holds it's shape, can also be adjusted on the model, I used the 8 Amp !

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

I got a little more done with his build as I wanted just a little more details added with the front wing slats. The little tabs can be seen of the actual aircraft when the slats are drooped and nothing was visible on the model, so I added some detail.
    I also noticed a little micro fiber (probably from a cotton swab) just above the port side canons that will not be covered by any decals - ugh! I did a little scraping and will sand shoot with 600/800 then do a quick spray touch up.

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Nice work on these slats, George @georgeswork!
    They look perfect now!
    This is going to be a super model!
    Ahhhh, those nasty microfibers...
    Easy to fix, though..

• Profile Photo
    Morne Meyer said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Absolutely STUNNING paint finish. She shines in all the right places. Can't wait for the final reveal!

• Profile Photo

Thanks Spiros (@fiveten) and Morne (@mornem)

I am definitely getting more comfortable airbrushing acrylics. The Tamiya paint cover very well and thin very nice. My Gold Leaf appears just a shade too light under my bright pot lights but I gotta agree with Morne 🙂

Used XF-1 Flat Black for the Anti-glare panel. I had to cut the masks as the forward fuselage curves were very slight and could not use a straight piece of mask tape.

And Canopy and Windscreen fit check is good, it's actually beginning to look like a Golden Hawk!

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.