Power unit P-51D (Packard) HPH models 1/18 scale (finished 27/03/2022)

Started by Michael Ezat · 13 · 2 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Michael Ezat said 2 years, 1 month ago:

Being lucky enough to have the whole family of engines from HPH , I thought it was a shame to let the third member sit in the dark and I took the opportunity to start building it.

The kit is at the same high standards of HPH's "King scale" , offering a great example of one of the most famous piston powered aero engine .

Details are far and beyond any expectations (as usual) and it is purely a matter of the modeler choosing whether to make it straight out of the box, with very decent results or, to make an effort and add some things here and there. After all, this particular engine is suitable for such a thing, being quite (or relatively) austere in terms of its accessories, wiring and piping, making such a task relatively easy.

Since this is a genuine American pony, I decided to get away from the trivial (black engine, black transmission, etc.) and build a most fancy version , throwing a little paint on it .

I decided to paint it blue with chrome plated valves covers , leaving all the other accessories as well as the firewall and support structure on standard colors (Zinc chromate , aluminum , steel etc).

For some unspecified reason, I want to paint the spinner with a chessboard paint scheme but because on the other hand I want a dose of realism and I can not find one Mustang with chessboard (if any of you have any picture with a spinner like I am asking , please share it ) , may I go with one of the three you see here .

That's for now , let's see what will comes .

Coments are encouraget and welcomed .

Thank you for looking .

7 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 1 month ago:

What a spectacular (yet another one!) entry, my friend @faraomike! The box contents look fantastic, your skills will produce yet another masterpiece, improving at places needed!
    Looking forward to this amazing entry in the gradually enriched Aeroengines! GB.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 1 month ago:

Another very interesting build this will be, Michael @faraomike
    Looking forward to it.

• Profile Photo
    gary sausmikat said 2 years, 1 month ago:

This is going to be a nice looking build, Michael. @faraomike Looking forward to watching this one. Good luck!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 2 years, 1 month ago:

If there is still room, I'd like to strap in too...

• Profile Photo
    Michael Ezat said 2 years, 1 month ago:

After some sanding and many dry fittings , main parts comes toghether . The trick for having the engine support frame straight is to glue all the main parts (5) at the same time ! Black and grey primer on and then ...color !

After the coloring some gloss varnish on , wash with diluted oils , dry brushing with light and dark shades , some small parts finished and I am ready to start assembly of this heavy resin babe .

Finally I will build the "Big Beautiful Doll" , on picture #16 . On the last picture , you may see the propeller after painting in dry fitting , waiting for decals , wash , some chipping and final varnish .

17 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 1 month ago:

Amazing skills, my friend @faraomike! Cannot wait to see your progress!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 1 month ago:

Beautiful work, Michael @faraomike

• Profile Photo
    gary sausmikat said 2 years ago:

Nice work, Michael. I like the weathering on the block. @faraomike

• Profile Photo
    Michael Ezat said 2 years ago:

...and done !

Without a lot of unnecessary, that is, without making things that in the end seem a little or not at all, the beast is over.

The truth is that from one point onwards, I got tired of the engines and ... I missed my old captives, some forgotten Fw 190D-9 for example.

So , this is it ! This kit I believe is the most easy from the serie , consisting of relatively few pieces and without hiding big secrets to discover during its construction, except perhaps the support frame that wants its way.

Thank you for your company and your time , please feel free to comment as you like .

7 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years ago:

This is an absolutely superb result, my friend @faraomike! The Packard looks 1:1!
    A fantastic build thread, as well!
    Thank you so much for enriching the slowly but steadily expanding Aeroengines! GB wit yet another superlative build!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years ago:

Superb result on this engine, Michael @faraomike
    nicely detailed and painted.
    Looking forward to the work on your 190.

• Profile Photo
    gary sausmikat said 2 years ago:

CONGRATS!
    Really, really, very nice, Michael! Well done all around. @faraomike