Rolls-Royce Griffon

Started by gary sausmikat · 27 · 1 year ago · Griffon Aires 1/48 FR 47 Engine
  • Profile Photo
    gary sausmikat said 2 years, 3 months ago:

I finally have an entry to this Group Build.

While waiting for a replacement cockpit part for my Korean War Group build, 1/48 FR 47 Seafire, I asked Spiros if I can build my Griffon engine, for the Seafire, here on this group build.
    Thank you, Spiros, for allowing a "double dip" group build.

If following along I hope you enjoy this build.

The Rolls-Royce Griffon is a British 2,240 cu in, V-12, liquid-cooled aircraft engine. Keeping with Rolls-Royce convention the Griffon was named after a bird of prey, in this case the griffon vulture.

Design work on the Griffon started in 1938 at the request of the Fleet Air Arm for use in new aircraft designs. In 1939 it was also decided that the engine could be adapted for use in the Spitfire, currently powered by the Rolls-Royce Merlins.

The Griffon was produced in approximately 50 variants and was the last in the line of V-12 aero engines to be produced by Rolls-Royce with production ceasing in 1955.

Interesting note; viewed from the cockpit Merlin engines rotated in a clockwise direction while the Griffon rotated in a counter-clockwise direction. Pilots making the transition from one to the other had to take into consideration the opposite inherent turning tendencies of the aircraft, especially while more pronounced on take-offs.

Griffon 65

The Rolls-Royce Merlin is an amazing engine and has powered some of the most iconic aircraft of WW2 but for me there is something about the growl of the Rolls-Royce Griffon that I enjoy more.

Here's a couple of Griffon vids:

<iframe title="FR-47 Seafire "The one and only"" width="500" height="375" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/_YioXYhbVPA?feature=oembed&quot; frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen>

<iframe title="Rolls-Royce Merlin Spitfire vs Rolls-Royce Griffon Spitfire " Which Sounds the Best? "" width="500" height="281" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/b8SuZJdgYuk?feature=oembed&quot; frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen>

This build is the Aires 1/48 Seafire FR 47/47 Engine set which will be added to my Airfix FR 47 Seafire.

Seafire Fr 47 aircraft were powered by the Griffon 88, which rotated two, contra-rotating, 3 bladed propellers.

The castings are detailed and clean:

Work has begun with removing the major components from their casting blocks and cleaned up.
    I assembled the cranckcase, oil sump and super charger.

I will be painting this assembly and other components separately before assembly.

Until next time...

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 3 months ago:

An amazing engine it is indeed, Gary @gwskat
    Very detailed kit, looking forward to it being installed in the Seafire.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 3 months ago:

What a great entry, my friend @gwskat!
    The castings indeed look very well done and you have made great progress, the Griffon looking superb already.
    The historical intro and videos are also great.
    Looking forward to this amazing build!

• Profile Photo

Hey All. The latest progress report:

Primed the main assembly and the throttle/injector intake assembly with Mr. Surfacer 1500 Black. To break up the overall black I painted the overall assembly and throttle assembly, minus the rocker covers, a lighter shade of black with Vallejo Black Gray.
    Trying to give some interest I applied Vallejo Metal dark grey to some of the smaller components.

Both assemblies were given a oil wash of dark brown for shadows.

Tamiya pastels dark metal was applied to the assemblies to give the engine a metal look.

Spark plug wires painted and various smaller details were highlighted with dry-bushing silver pencil and Vallejo Aluminum.
    Attached the Throttle/Injector assembly.

So far the biggest challenge has been giving the overall black engine a varied appearance. But so far I'm happy with the look.

Up next will be adding wiring...

• Profile Photo

Those are indeed amazing looks, my friend @gwskat!
    Those varying shades really make a difference.
    Looking forward to your next steps!

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Spiros.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 3 months ago:

Painting results are indeed amazing, Gary @gwskat

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 2 years, 3 months ago:

I wish we could hear it as well as see it @gwskat

• Profile Photo

Here's a good one, my friend @chinesegeorge

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 2 years, 3 months ago:

Thanks, Spiros @fiveten, unfortunately YouTube is one of the many websites not accessible in China, but thanks for the thought.

• Profile Photo
    Michael Ezat said 2 years, 2 months ago:

Great entry Gary , a Griffon is one of the "all time classic" British engines , as well as AIRES kit .
    Nice start with partially assembly and first coloring .
    Looking forward for your progress !

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 2 years, 2 months ago:

Nice idea to split the build!

• Profile Photo
    gary sausmikat said 2 years, 2 months ago:

Thank you all for the encouragement and comments.

Added piping using Green stuff 2 part sculpting putty. I wasn't sure how this was going to work but it worked really nice and will be a go-to technique in future builds. Also used some copper wiring.
    Added oil tank/ spinner plate assembly.

Painted:
    Again, hard to make it visually different and "appealing" but that's the way military equipment goes.

This will be the last post for this engine build. Any future work on the engine will be over on the Seafire build.

Thanks again for following.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 2 months ago:

This will suit the Seafire perfectly, Gary @gwskat

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 2 years, 2 months ago:

It has been an interesting addition to this GB Gary.