Talk about a lucky find!

• 10 posts
  • Last reply 11 months, 3 weeks ago
Viewing 1 - 10 of 10 posts
  • California Steve said 3 years, 9 months ago:

I sometimes work out in the Palmdale, Lancaster area of California and often I spend my lunches at the thrift stores and antique shops. There are a lot of folks who live out here that are in the aviation industry. The Skunk Works etc. I found this photo for eight dollars!! It is a actual photo of a Super Connie photographed over the Rose Bowl stadium in Pasadena California. The frame is bamboo. I wonder whose office this hung in. If you Google Earth the Rose Bowl and compare it to this photo you will see that the 134/210 freeways haven’t been built, and the golf course has no trees at this time.
    Am I a happy lad, Oh Yea!! Oh and it’s big 16×20 inches.
    California Steve

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Alan Rush said 3 years, 9 months ago:

Nice find!

• Craig Abrahamson said 3 years, 9 months ago:

I think I’ve seen that photo before somewhere…did you happen to look on the back side of the photo yet for any sort of I.D. or inscription or whatever?

Yes I did Craig. And the only printing on the back is from the print shop. I Googled this photo and there are some from the same day. But I haven’t found this one reproduced. This is from the maiden flight of the Super Constellation with the upgraded engines. I just might have a bit of history here. Now wouldn’t that be really cool.
    California Steve

• Bernd Müller said 3 years, 9 months ago:

Great fishing, the Conny looks great, one (or the ) most graceful aircraft ever build.

• Rick Wilkes said 3 years, 9 months ago:

Great find Steve, wonderful addition to the “cave”.

• Rob Pollock said 3 years, 9 months ago:

No doubt Tom Cleaver will have some background on this aircraft, if not the area photogaphed.

When I click on to respond to your individual comments I get pushed to the last response. So I will just say I was very lucky to come across this, and yes it is mounted in the man cave. And it is one of the most beautiful aircraft ever. The thing that really shocked me is after I got it home and carefully took the back off. (nails). And I saw it was a full photograph, and not a print I realized I had a major score.
    I am glad you guys got a kick out of seeing it.
    California Steve

• Jeff Bailey said 11 months, 3 weeks ago:

VERY nice photo of one of my favorite aircraft! Lucky you, Steve! (Almost 3 years after the fact, it’s still cool!)

• Robert Royes said 11 months, 3 weeks ago:

Cool find, I think it is the most graceful airliner built.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 10 posts