48th Scale Monogam Republic F-105

Started by Jack Mugan · 6 · 11 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Jack Mugan said 11 years, 4 months ago:

I built this model right after Monogram released it the first time. One of the few planes I put the pilots in the cockpit. This is the first model I attempted to weather. The F-105 was a pretty dirty bird.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Craig Abrahamson said 11 years, 4 months ago:

Those Monogram jet pilots were actually pretty good renditions as far as pilot figures go - at least I always thought so. Some of the kit figures of that era were c**p. Many still are.

• Profile Photo

Actually, I thought I was really on top of things doing the pilot's helmets in camo. What drew me to the "Thud" was all the data decals and the workhorse look. Reading the book Thud Ridge was something else that motivated me.

• Profile Photo
    Craig Abrahamson said 11 years, 4 months ago:

I'm pretty sure I've heard/read/seen somewhere that Marine aviators flying off Navy ships wear the camo cover over their helmets and the Navy guys don't/can't/won't. But I could be wrong...I remember I was wrong once before (maybe twice) - LOL

• Profile Photo
    Gary Brantley said 11 years, 4 months ago:

Very nice Jack! I saw an F-105 at the Cavanaugh Flight Museum in Addison, Texas a few years ago and I was much impressed by its size. Dude, that's a big bird! If you're ever in the Dallas area, it is a very nice museum and well worth your time. Here's the web address:
    http://www.cavanaughflightmuseum.com/
    Gary

• Profile Photo

Gary... I have had the opportunity to visit the Cavanaugh Museum some years ago and the F-105 was there, though it was in need of a paint job at that time. Yes it is a BIG bird. I was always afraid that the spindly landing gear would break someday on the Monogram model, but it has held up somehow over all these years.