Monogram's 48th scale F-86D Sabre

Started by Jack Mugan · 5 · 11 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Jack Mugan said 11 years, 5 months ago:

Most guys I know do not like the "D" model, probably because they think the changes on the nose to accommodate the radar ruins the overall look, but I have alway liked it. I used Mike Grant rivet decals to add a bit more surface interest. Applying them can be tedious work but I like the end result. The model is painted with Alclad, my favorite paint for natural metal finishes.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    David Hansen said 11 years, 4 months ago:

Beautiful Model, Jack.

Myself i like the F-86Ds and Ls. I'm an Instrument Instructor, so i tend to gravitate towards planes with radars that fly in c**p weather and the pilots need good instrument flying skills.

The Mike Grant rivet decals look good! Thanks for posting!

BTW- Do you still stay in touch with the TCAH? i was a member there in 1977-1979.

david

• Profile Photo
    Jack Mugan said 11 years, 4 months ago:

David... Thanks for your remarks. Yes, I do stay in touch with the TCAH guys. I am a "Life-time" member and still communicate with some of the "Old Guys" who are still active in the club. The club has evolved in recent years to a regular IPMS chapter, and is no longer an exclusive aviation interest group. They are still a large group with close to 100 members and produce some excellent modelers.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 11 years, 4 months ago:

That's a very realistic-looking model there, Jack. I think you have me convinced about those rivet decals.

• Profile Photo
    David Hansen said 11 years, 4 months ago:

Frank, out of curiosity, what colour (s) did you use to paint the anodized wing spar box areas?

Regards,

david