Question for you Phantom Phanatics (or anyone else)…

Started by Craig Abrahamson · 9 · 2 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Craig Abrahamson said 4 years, 7 months ago:

I've noticed all manner of colors on the nose(s) of F-4's (black, white, tan, gray - even red on the prototype) ...yet there's a warning stencil on the nose that states "do not paint". Any rhyme or reason for the variations in color? Inquiring minds wanna know. 🙂

• Profile Photo
    Robert Royes said 4 years, 7 months ago:

If your talking about that little red or black circle found on either side of the radome on B.C,D,J,K, and M variants, the circle surrounds a static vent for the radome. I don't know if the RF and E and F have them.

• Profile Photo

Oh...I coulda sworn it was a "do not paint" warning (I've seen 'em on other radomes) - anyhow, any idea on why they come in so many different colors (and for what reason) - ?

• Profile Photo

It is a do not paint warning ,not to paint the vent which was about the size of a fifty cent piece [the circle surrounds it]. As far as the color goes usually you'd see a red circle stencil with white lettering stencil. I guess the color variations has to do with the color scheme such the tactical greys.

• Profile Photo

Certainly don't mean to be argumentative, Robert, but I've seen Navy Phantoms (with an all gray fuselage) with nose cones painted Tan, White AND Black. Just wondered if there was any significance in which color was chosen. Thanks.

• Profile Photo

Now I think I get it, They didn't paint the radomes early on because the paint would interfere with the radar. the tan was probably the unpainted color of the radome, the choice of black or white later on was I think a squadron level decision, how it looked best with the squadron markings.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 4 years, 7 months ago:

@craigindaytona there are as you say different colours, but as far as I know it is not paint, it is the colour of the material used to make the nosecone, as they need to be easy for the radar to penetrate. Same goes for all fighters with a radar. Sometimes, often late in their career they could get painted in some special colours, like the last two RAF Phantoms to patrol the east-west german border - they were painted all blue. In 1972 the Royal Navy FG.1's made a farewell tour in the states with the radomes partly painted (and 001 got "tagged with ROYAL NAVY replaced by COLONIAL NAVY, and the brit roundel got changed, the white part extended to make a star, resembling the early USAAF markings! - sorry straddled away a bit - so back on track; another exception was FGR.2 XT853 that had the radome replaced with one in unpainted steel for some trials in connection with the Concorde, robbing them the use of their radar. A quick search in my library did not reveal the text, but it is obvious that the ring - as described by Robert - is for a static port. So in conclusion, yes the radomes were left unpainted Black, Grey, White or Tan in operational service with the exceptions of special use and special colors. The color used more or less depended on the camo - like the Falklands grey ones having tan/light grey radomes. Do also note that radomes (most notably the black ones) faded in use, and repairs are very visible.

(On another note, Xtradecal has just issued a set of markings for the "COLONIAL NAVY Phantom today! - just saw it on hannants under new arrivals)

Hope this helped - and it is all open to further comments as I do in no way claim to be an expert on the matter, so this is just my pennies worth.

• Profile Photo

Ah Ah...I hadn't considered the fact that the radomes were fabricated in different colors rather than painted. That makes sense. Thanks to those who cleared this up.

• Profile Photo
    David Kight said 2 years ago:

This may be swinging after the bell but the US Navy began using what's known as "radome tan" in the 1950s. I think the various colors were because of availability issues, the tan color gave way over time to white and primarily black. The first few F4H-1s got away with red because they hadn't yet installed radar equipment, the Navy was in a rush to have the plane complete carrier quals, if you look closely, you'll notice there's no seat in the rear cockpit. Most paints in those days had a lead base, the lead in the paint interfered with radar operation and non lead coatings were specially made for radomes. The no paint rule was for crew chiefs and plane captains who wanted their plane to look good but had a habit of using the leaded paint, high speed flight in South East Asia's rough weather could make radomes look pretty ragged.