What is this?

  • 5 posts
  • Last reply 1 year ago
Viewing 1 - 5 of 5 posts
  • Editor said 3 years, 8 months ago:

    Browsing through my own photo library, I found this. It’s a piece of aviation hardware (which might be a good what-if subject), but what is it for real? I’m puzzled.

  • Rick Wilkes said 3 years, 8 months ago:

    I’ll hazard a guess and say it’s used to divert jet blast during maintenance ground runs.

  • Brad Bronov said 3 years, 7 months ago:

    In my 25 years in the Air Force (maintenance and operations), I never saw anything exactly like that, but it looks the part. All of my experience was on heavies, so we either towed the aircraft to a run stub, or did the runs on the spots with JBDs permanently installed.

  • Jaime Carreon said 1 year ago:

    This is just a guess, but it looks like a muffler or silencer used when running jet engines at high power on the ground for maintenance. The noise can be earsplitting, not to mention the complaints you’d get from the neighbors…

  • Robert Royes said 1 year ago:

    It’s a fasibagopler Mk1. All four of your ideas sound plausible.

Viewing 1 - 5 of 5 posts