Tamiya Zero 1/48

Started by Rickard Malmborg · 6 · 7 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Rickard Malmborg said 11 years, 5 months ago:

With this old Tamiya Zero my modeling took a huge step forward. Many of the panel lines are rescribed, cockpit is detailed with homemade parts and most of the model is covered in BMF. The model is painted with Tamiya paint which was then removed with a toothpick to give worn impression. For the first time I used a gloss surface underneath the decals, with a flat topcoat. I was really proud of this one. Those were the days!

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Dan DeSilva said 11 years, 5 months ago:

I love the older Tamiya Zeros- Great value for money!
    I also have ONE of the new 1/48 ones- had to get one for the leap forward in engineering and detail- pretty awesome.
    Your build looks great!

• Profile Photo
    Rickard Malmborg said 11 years, 5 months ago:

Thank you!
    I am with you, the new Tamiya Zero looks great but so does the price tag… so to say :-/
    /Rickard

• Profile Photo
    Chris said 11 years, 4 months ago:

good looking zero

• Profile Photo
    richard d. knight jr. said 7 years, 11 months ago:

great work.the new Tamiya a6m3 gets my vote for best model aircraft.Ever!

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 7 years, 11 months ago:

Rickard, great job o her. I was wondering if Mr. Tamiya was going to upgrade his -21.
    The only shortcomings on the older Zeros are the decal instrument panel, and in this one, the "relief" engine. Neither is a deal breaker.
    I like this better than the corresponding Hasegawa, I just like the "look" of it.
    Their more recent Zekes are lovely, but as pointed out, expensive. I managed to catch a sale on the A6M5/5A, and then I just had to have the A6M3. Oh, well!