Heller 1/72 Caudron Renault 714

Started by Spiros Pendedekas · 89 · 1 year ago · 1/72, 714, Caudron, Heller, Renault
  • Profile Photo
    Max Williams said 1 year, 7 months ago:

Intriguing work Spiros @fiveten. My old eyes and hands couldn’t handle a kit that small these days but you’re making a splendid job of it. Looking forward to seeing more!

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 7 months ago:

Thanks my friend @maxw!
    Sweet, old Heller kits!

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 1 year, 7 months ago:

Great hand painting, Spiros @fiveten, the chocolate makes it almost good enough to eat.

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friend @chinesegeorge! WWII French schemes are really something!

• Profile Photo

Touch-ups, touch-ups!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 7 months ago:

Good work on the touch-ups, Spiros @fiveten
    Unfortunately they mostly consume more time than expected.

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friend @johnb! Indeed, fixing here and there takes time...
    Anyway, touch ups are done, ready for decals...

• Profile Photo

Decals applied, needing some trimming...

The fuselage insignia are French roundels, prototypically "modified" to Polish "squares": very very interesting looking!
    Thanks for stopping by!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year, 7 months ago:

Interesting camo, Spiros (@fiveten). I don't think I have ever seen it before. Looking forward to the home stretch.

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friend @gblair! WWII French camos are really interesting, basically the painter would apply the intermediate blue, the green and the chocolate to his absolute preference: mottles, streaks broader patterns, you name it, being one of the strongest candidates for "the specific scheme for the specific plane at the specific time" modeling approach...
    A French Mystical Experience.

• Profile Photo

The area behind the pilot's head had a similar configuration as in the P-40. Whereas nothing was supplied with the kit, my hopes laid to the transparency thickness and distortion. As it turned out, the emptiness was more the evident after test fitting the canopy. I thus decided to formulate a "rear vision" area with a suitably cut styrene plate, where two suitably sized external tank pieces eere glued. Here is the piece before trimming...

Thanks for stopping by!

P.S. Oh yes! Could not resist NOT to sand the Heller molded imprint away and left it on 🙂

• Profile Photo

...and attached...

Will look smoother after some trimming/filling.Thanks for stopping by!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 7 months ago:

Great decalling and nice sratch build rear part, Spiros @fiveten
    Those side markings are Polish over French roundels, correct?
    Wise decision to leave the molded Heller marking, it really remembers the old times.

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friend @johnb! Yes, looks like these are French roundels with white added at specific places, in order to look like modified French. Interesting, isn't it? Meanwhile...

• Profile Photo

...here is the cockpit done, after thinning the seat, adding seat belts, scratch building an instrument panel, a control stick and a head cushion. Some black "boxes" were added at the sidewalls by just black paint. They will look passable under the thick canopy...

Thanks for stopping by!