Comparison build: 1/48 Monogram He-111 H, and ICM 1/48 He-111 H3, Stab/Stg.3 North Africa 1942/’43

Started by Louis Gardner · 207 · 5 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 10 months ago:

Lovely work all round Louis. That's a great job on the re-scribing (not an easy job to get looking as good as this) and the filling/sanding/canopy work are first rate.

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 5 years, 10 months ago:

Indeed sanding, a chorus I loath almost as much as scribbing, has no secrets to you Louis. You’re a Jedi at that stuff. Looking at the photos it looks easy to do that job around the main canopy, but we all know it is not, and I know It would take me hours of cursing in several languages to get a result half as good as yours. It seems that the green paint jars are already being shaken...

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 years, 10 months ago:

Thanks gents !

Sanding is something that I have carried over from restoring automobiles. However, re scribing panel lines is not one of my strong points. It's almost like painting figures for me...

I have been masking the windows on the He-111 for several nights now... and I tried something new out for my very first time...

The He-111 has two distinct areas that are an absolute nightmare to mask... as do several other Luftwaffe planes. The rounded areas where the nose gun and the lower rear of the gondola were the "Stinger" gun is mounted. The Ju-87 has a similar deal with the rear gunners position.

So I gave this stuff a try.

You brush it on and let it dry. Once it's dry you can cut away the areas you want painted. I brushed this stuff on the fuselage side windows,

the gondola tiny side windows

and the rounded areas I just mentioned... one of which can be seen in the picture posted above.
    Here's a few photos of how it worked on the nose of the plane... This one is looking down from the top.

Head on... where you will notice something missing. I broke off the barrel of the nose gun. I knew it would happen sooner or later and I'm surprised it has lasted this long.

and from below...

I used several photos of the actual plane, along with the clear parts from the ICM kit as a guide as some of the panel lines for the glass frames were molded a little "soft", and the details were not all that visible.

After all of this masking, she's ready for some paint to get sprayed on, and I am through with masking canopies for a while... Those Spitfires are looking better all the time.

I'll start out with some pre shading on the panel lines, and then if things go well, I'll break out the RLM 79 Sand Gelb as the top color.

I still haven't exactly decided on what to do for the bottom color. I'm leaning towards painting it in RLM 65 "Hellblau" since these planes were probably re sprayed in the field over the typical 70 / 71 splinter camouflage. However it's possible they were repainted underneath at the same time using RLM 78.

If any of you have any thoughts on this, please don't hesitate to post them up. I'm open for suggestions.

Thanks in advance,
    and as always...
    "Comments are Encouraged". I'm calling it a night. It was a very busy day.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 5 years, 10 months ago:

Hi Louis - some serious progress going on here! The rescribing is really impressive, especially given that it is something you view as a pain! I know what you mean about masking - after the Storch now the Lysander - not as much tape as 2 Heinkels, but still among my least favourite parts of a build.

I have used 'micro mask' before with mixed outcomes - probably my bad technique. A method I've adopted now is to apply thin cuts of tape down any frame lines that can be treated individually as 'straight' and then use the micro mask to seal off the clear areas that show between the taped areas (so avoiding the use of tape around the spherical areas). These 111's look difficult - how did you get the liquid mask on - hand painting? I suppose one could mask the actual frames out with thin cuts of tape and paint the liquid mask between them and remove the tape to reveal the frame for painting. I'm developing a cold sweat just thinking about it!

Looking forward to the pre-shading - I think it helps a lot with weathered desert camo! This is going to be great!

• Profile Photo

Hey Paul,
    Thanks for the kind words. I'll try the method you mentioned with the small pieces of tape sometime. As far as using the micro mask, I simply brushed it on. Once it was dry I used a razor to cut away the areas that I wanted paint to adhere to.

I have been rather busy over the last two days, so I really didn't get too much done on the He-111.

However early this morning I was able to spray on the pre shading. I snapped a few photos. Here they are...

It's not much to look at right now...

Hopefully this will look the part once a thin top coat is applied.

This last photo shows the Heinkel as it sits now...

Enjoy !

• Profile Photo

Although it was a late start with spraying, I decided to give it a try.

I also thought I would use RLM 78 "Hellblau" as the lower color. In all honesty I really don't think that anyone would really know for sure what colors were used.

I have read where the Germans used captured Allied paint stocks as well as Italian colors. Since it's highly likely that this plane was painted in the field so it's probable that anything could have been used. It's even possible that the underside colors could have been left alone, and the plane could have kept its original RLM 65 light blue underneath.

I decided to use 78 because it looks better in my opinion when used with RLM 79 and it's a deeper blue.

Having said this, I thought I would give it a try painting the underside color first. This is my first time using the pre shading method.

Here's a picture of the elevator assembly. On the bottom of the picture you can see how it looks after a second light coat of paint. The top side is after a single application and the pre shading is very pronounced.

Moving right along I kept at it and continued to spray the underside. You can see how I masked off the wing tips and fuselage band since these were painted white.

Next photo shows the underside of the wing after a light coat of paint. You can also see how the pre shading turned out on the bomb bay doors. I ended up giving it another light coat of paint.

In an attempt to tone down the pre shading lines just a little, I gave them a very light coat of paint first before I painted the wings a second time.

This was basically a trial and error type thing for me. This last method worked out very good.

Finally here's a picture of how the underside looks now. The pre shading lines are there but are very subtle which is exactly what I wanted to achieve.

I'm going to clean up the airbrush and possibly spray some RLM 79 Tan on next.

This pre shading thing is going to take a little more practice for me to get used to it. I like how it takes away from the monotone color and adds a little life to it. It's artistic license at its best, as I have not noticed this effect on real warbirds on the 1 to 1 scale larger versions.

One other thing is if you are going to try this, it's very important that you thin out the paint quite a bit. You don't want it to lay down too much color or it will obliterate the pre shading lines and they will disappear. If this happened you could go back again and respray the lines again.

Overall I'm very pleased with this one and how it looks now. This is something that I would try again.

As usual comments are encouraged.

Thanks for looking.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 5 years, 10 months ago:

Perfect, that is how it should be. Can't get any better than that. Congrats there rookie,

• Profile Photo
    David A. Thomas said 5 years, 10 months ago:

Simply fabulous, Louis. The control you achieve...wow. Your models look better half finished than mine do on the final reveal.

• Profile Photo
    Jeff Bailey said 5 years, 10 months ago:

Louis, the pre-shading "experiment" has turned out rather well, I think. I just finished reading (and some RE-reading) this from post #1, so I have caught up on this great topic. The Monogram kit holds its age well and the "youngster" ICM kit sure looks like a worthy successor.

Like the others, I like the "Real Men Use Putty" tee-shirt idea. I have used a little putty before but not much. I guess I'm just a little real. Or maybe somewhat UNreal.

The way you handled "Gluegate" was excellent. I'm glad you stuck with it. Or not. The "large scale fingerprint" comment David (the 'could-have-been a stand-up comedian) made got me laughing until my sides hurt!

Well done, Pardner!

• Profile Photo
    Tom Bebout said 5 years, 10 months ago:

That's really looking nice Louis.

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 10 months ago:

Bravo, Louis. We'll get you on to Black Basing and Marbling next. Fabulous work and brilliantly presented.

• Profile Photo

Hey Chuck,
    Thanks for the kind words. I'm very pleased with how it turned out. Since I'm still a rookie at this, I'm not going to dress up like a "Shell back" crossing the Equator... now that I have crossed that line with paint. πŸ™‚

David T:
    Thanks for the compliments. I have seen your work and that's not true... Your A-20 is a work of art my friend, and it looked great at the reveal. I'm sure your WW1 Ambulance will follow suit...

Jeff, my fellow DAT brother...
    Thanks buddy ! I agree, this "Old Monogram" kit still looks good for it's age. The ICM kit look better, but is more of a complicated build. The parts count is much higher. But the fit has been pretty much spot on, except where I messed up. If you are planning on building a Monogram He-111, the "Real Men Use Putty" T-shirt is a must...

Thanks Tom ! It's good to hear form you my friend...

David LS:
    I painted a custom motorcycle gas tank once using that method... It actually looked pretty darned cool !

Thanks buddy... πŸ™‚

• Profile Photo

Last night I sprayed on the RLM 79, and it turned out pretty good too. I figured that since I was on a roll, and I had the equipment out, why not ?

I started out by painting the rear section... Here you can see the initial spray.

I gave it a few more highly thinned out coats of RLM 79. The pre shaded panel lines still show up. If you look just ahead of the fuselage band masking, you will see just how transparent the paint is that I'm painting. I think this is the ticket...

I continued on until the remainder of the upper surfaces were done. The pre shading is slightly evident, which is exactly how I wanted it to look.

In this close up photo you can see the results. Not too much, not too little. It's like a "Goldilocks" paint job, just right...at least for my tastes.

These last two pictures show the plane after I removed the masking on the fuselage stripe and underwing tips. I masked this section off, since I wanted the pre shading to show up under the white areas too.

Here I also have pulled out the piece of foam that I placed in the dorsal turret B stand location.

She's definitely looking more like a He-111 now.

Hopefully later today I can spray the white theater markings, and get some more building done. It would be nice to get this one on it's feet with a landing gear underneath it, and some decals on too...

As usual,
    "Comments are Encouraged"...

This Monogram kit is shaping up rather well... I'm getting more excited now about finishing up the ICM kit next... and resolving the "glue gate" issue once and for all. πŸ™‚

Thanks again for looking.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 5 years, 10 months ago:

Your decision to pre-shade was exactly the right call - and you have nailed it! You are right that aircraft don't necessarily display a 'regular' pattern of tones, but the application of the colour layer in a slightly uneven covering over the pre-shade takes care of that - just as you have managed here! And the actual construction - all of the sanding and filling etc has really produced a great surface for the paint. Looking like an outstanding build, Louis!

• Profile Photo
    George Henderson said 5 years, 10 months ago:

Looks pretty snazzy Louis. Well done