Comparison build: 1/48 Monogram He-111 H, and ICM 1/48 He-111 H3, Stab/Stg.3 North Africa 1942/’43

Started by Louis Gardner · 207 · 5 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 years, 11 months ago:

I know this isn't much progress, but I'll take it...

I started back on the ICM kit, in an effort to bring it up to where the Monogram kit is now.

I found a small error in the instructions:
    They call for a part numbered "D1-28" and it's a wall mount rack for two MG "snail drums" (part # C-50).

In all actuality, the part is located on plastic tree D-2. Here I'm pointing at the parts with a small wooden stick.

and is numbered "8"

Once I figured this out it was smooth sailing...

I sprayed the bomb bay racks with RLM 66 "Dark Gray"

painted the crew oxygen bottle in RLM 24 "Dunkelblau"

Then mounted it on the cabin bulkhead after a little more details were painted on...

I spent a little time painting some other cockpit details in flat black...

Then proceeded to install the fuselage side windows. This was done since the instructions have you assemble another ammunition rack for multiple "snail drum" MG magazines (part number C-50).

I wanted these parts to fit properly, so the side glass had to be installed so that I could make sure these rack parts fit as they should.

I ended up gluing the rack in place before the glue set up completely.

Here you can see where they rack is glued to the inside of the rear window set.

There is a small hole in the rear most window for a beam mounted MG. Hopefully these glue seams will not be visible once everything is buttoned up...

Calling it a day... and it's been a busy one with other stuff.

as usual, comments are encouraged.

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 11 months ago:

Great progress, Louis. There seems a nice level of detail here, with plenty of scope to go overboard for the superdetailers. Bomb racks are great. Good to see you getting some time on the bench, place doesn't feel the same without you.

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 5 years, 11 months ago:

Good grief! I have never seen a photo of them before. Looks like some bizarre lantern...

• Profile Photo
    David A. Thomas said 5 years, 11 months ago:

I always have to read through your posts carefully, Louis, and examine the photos ell, because no one does a tutorial quite like you. I learn so much and plan on putting this stuff into practice.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Bebout said 5 years, 11 months ago:

Great progress Louis, coming along well. Any thoughts yet concerning a kit comparison? Fit, instructions, detail, etc?

• Profile Photo

David LS, this is the photo I have been looking for ! It shows the bomb racks in a manner that I was searching for. It appears that the racks were painted in RLM 02 and 66 depending on what/ when they were manufactured. I decided that I would paint the bomb bay and corresponding racks in RLM 66, the darker color.

Thanks again !

• Profile Photo

Hey there David T. ! It's great to hear from you. Thanks for the compliments and I am very pleased that you are finding something useful with my postings. Sometimes I think I have a tendency to ramble on too much.

• Profile Photo

Hey Tom B.

To answer your questions, I have to say that I like different things about each kit. The older Monogram kit is like visiting an old friend. I grew up building these models but I never built up a He-111 other than the ancient Lindbergh kit.

The Monogram plastic seems to be a little brittle but then again the parts are almost 25 years old. The instructions are good on the ICM kit but I have varied away from the construction sequence a little and will explain how/ why in my next postings. Overall the fit of the parts have been better with the ICM kit. But I have only test fit the fuselage parts together and I will know more about this soon as I progress on with the wings.

I like the ICM kit better than the older Monogram as far as the building is concerned. It is light years ahead and the Monogram with the interior details. A person who likes to scratch build would really have a field day with the ICM kit.
    I'm getting ready to install the engines on the Monogram kit. The wings need some more work before I do this however.
    Right now I am trying to get the ICM kit to the same approximate build progress as the Monogram kit is. Since they build up in a little different sequence I have some more work ahead of me.
    Tonight I will try to get the fuselage buttoned up on the ICM kit. It has been a great model to build and a little more finicky since some of these parts are smaller and my fat fingers and eyesight are not what they used to be.

Please stay tuned for updates. Thanks again.

• Profile Photo

It's been raining for most of the last few days. After taking care of some "life" things, I got some more work done on the ICM He-111.

It's supposed to be raining here for most of the next week. Hopefully this will equate to more "bench" time.

Here's how the tail wheel assembly looks after some details were painted. I also applied some bare metal foil on the oleo strut. Hopefully this will be visible once the fuselage is glued together.

I have installed the tail wheel into the fuselage in this photo.

ICM provides a lot of dual feed snail drums for the 7.92 MM MG's. They would have you assemble this as a separate section then glue it in place once completed. I opted to take a different route and installed the braces in their respective locations on the fuselage. Once I got everything aligned I glued the spare magazines into position. This assured me a proper fit.

Remember that part that I incorrectly called the "relief tube" earlier in the Build journal ? I waited until now to install it. Here's why: It has to fit properly in between the various snail drum magazines and be properly oriented against the fuselage side wall. So I waited until now where I test fit the interior parts into the fuselage.

Then I glued the part into its proper location.

I am fairly certain this part is a funnel used to collect empty brass casings and links. The MG's and the 20 MM FF weapons all had brass and link collection bags. This makes more sense to me to think that this part (that looks like a little black funnel), is actually just that. A funnel for the empty brass casings and ammunition links.

Here I test fit the bomb bay. I'm happy with this so far.

*** UPDATE **** TEST FIT ONLY **** DO NOT GLUE IN PLACE JUST YET****

Speaking of the MG's and 20 MM's...
    Here they are. These are tiny little models in their own way. Each one consists of several parts and look pretty good once painted. Believe it or not, this was very time consuming.

Here's a closer look at the 20 MM FF Cannon. I am fairly certain this one is based on the 20 MM Oerlikon that was in widespread use during WW2.

The smaller MG's were 7.92 MM MG 15's. The kit replicates them fairly well.

Lastly I painted and installed the various "black boxes". Some of these parts are for the radio and still need some more work. Others are instruments for the pilot. I still have to add the decals that were provided by ICM to represent gauges.

One more thing... The smaller side windows in the gondola and the larger side fuselage windows were added. I messed up one of the larger ones and had to sand out and polish it to get rid of the glue marks. This took a while but luckily I was able to salvage the side window. ICM has molded tiny markings into the clear parts in between the windows. These markings correspond with markings on the interior fuselage plastic. It helps to properly orient the glass.
    I hope to get more done on this one and will post updates as I can.

As usual comments are encouraged.

Thanks for looking !

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 5 years, 11 months ago:

Funny how rain sends us back to the bench! Not too many hobbies benefit from poor weather!

Looks great Louis. I was watching ‘The Battle of Britain’ the other day, while contemplating my RAF100 builds. The interiors of the He-111 feature there a bit and yours actually put me in mind of the real deal when I saw them. Lovely stuff!

• Profile Photo

Thanks Paul ! Funny thing isn't it ? We want it to rain so we can get some bench time. 🙂

I was watching the movie "Memphis Bell" last night (the one made in 1990). It's been a while since I have seen the Battle of Britain movie. I'm past due ...
    Hopefully I can get this one knocked out fairly soon and get cracking on another one for your 100 Years of the RAF soon. I have a little surprise for you there.

Thanks for the compliments. Saying that it reminds you of the real thing is about as good as it gets for a compliment. I sincerely appreciate that.

I also would like to compliment you on your Storch build. It is amazing how it looks ! The metal bits are a bit intimidating for me. You're knocking it out of the park ! Well done.

• Profile Photo

On the rain, speak for yourself, friends! 🙂

Signed,

David in Seattle

• Profile Photo

Oh my ! I didn't think about that Dave ! You're absolutely correct my friend since you live in Seattle. You guys don't get too much sunshine out there. Sort of like us during a hurricane. Rain and all ...

• Profile Photo

It's terrible. Depressing after months of it, affects drying times, makes everybody cranky. Yuck.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 5 years, 11 months ago:

Honestly, I’d swap with you in a heartbeat David. I don’t know if you’ve been in Aus during the Summer? I find it intolerable. The Winter however (and Autumn if you don’t blink) are beautiful. I probably need to head South. Sorry to digress Louis, us Brits and the weather...Anyway you now have me very interested about the RAF100 thing. Don’t let me distract you any more!