1/48 Tamiya Fw-190 A4 , JG 2 Nord Afrika

Started by Louis Gardner · 161 · 5 years ago · 1/48, FW-190, Kasserine Pass, Tamiya
  • Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 6 years, 4 months ago:

Thanks David... I am just very fortunate to have a little more building time than others since I have retired...

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 6 years, 4 months ago:

Loving the assembly line, Louis!

• Profile Photo

Now that's a very cool picture ! If you squint your eyes some, it does resemble my "Wurger Works"... 🙂 Thanks for sharing this with us.

A big thank you goes out to Martin for fixing this thread... It wasn't allowing replies to be posted since it was starting a new second page. Some sort of minor computer glitch that he squared right away.

You just gotta love this website ! There's a great bunch of people here with a common interest, and a fantastic staff that keeps things working like clock work.

Thanks again Martin and David !

• Profile Photo
    Tom Bebout said 6 years, 4 months ago:

Nice progress Louis, I wondered what was up as I couldn't post until now.

• Profile Photo

Thanks gents for the kind words...

The 190 has been sitting on the back burner lately. 🙁 🙁 🙁

Unfortunately we have had some other "life" things come around that has limited the time I would like to spend at the work desk... plus I have been concentrating on finishing up several other builds that are almost completed.

My goal is to complete as many unfinished projects I can before the New Year starts.

Meanwhile, Andreas Fey and I have decided on what markings to use for the planes we will be building.

Both planes are from JG 2.

I am going with "Black Double Chevron"...

while Andreas is building Erich Rudorfer's plane, "Yellow 1"

I did manage to get a little done on the Butcher Birds...

Started painting the black dials in the cockpits

I have 3 out of the 4 cockpits painted to this stage. Believe it or not, Tamiya has made a few small changed to the cockpits. The 3 on the right are for the earlier A-3 / A-4 builds.

The differences are with the side console panels, and a very subtle change on the main instrument panel shape. The A8 / F8 has a more rounded look along the lower edge. had I not placed them side by side it would hardly be noticeable... but it's there.

While the one that has not been finished with the dial painting is for a later A-8 / F-8 variant.

I found this very good picture showing the restored cockpit of the NASM's FW-190 F-8. It was in one of my books about how they restored the plane in the museum's workshop. It also went into the actual history behind the plane and how it had been "recycled" by the German War industry several times after being damaged in combat.

This picture came from the book called "Famous Aircraft of the National Air and Space Museum, #9, Focke - Wulf Fw-190 Workhorse of the Luftwaffe.

The amazing thing about this restoration is the attention to details during the restoration. They actually used various methods of photography and scientific sampling of the various colors of the paints used to obtain the most authentic colors.

They even sanded the paint off the exterior of the plane, a little at a time, to expose the various layers underneath. By doing this, they revealed some very interesting markings and camouflage combinations that were used during the service history of the plane as it was assigned to various Luftwaffe units.

This NASM plane served in the Mediterranean Theater and wore Sandgelb RLM 79 with RLM 80 Olive Green blotches at one time. I don't remember if it had a RLM 76 or 78 light blue undersides though. It ended the War in Hungary with SG2... and had an amazing service history.

I heartily recommend this book if your a die hard 190 fan...

One more day until Christmas...

Merry Christmas everyone.

As per my usual sign off, comments are encouraged.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 6 years, 2 months ago:

Since I finished up the 4 Hellcats in the "Year of the Cat" GB, I have more time to devote to finishing up these ongoing projects that were started here in the Kasserine Pass GB...

So tonight I concentrated my efforts on the Wurgers.

First things were to complete the cockpits. I realized that I had accidentally glued the instrument panel from the later F-8 into one of the earlier A-3 cockpit tubs. So I swapped them out and now things are as they should be. The IP and other small things on the side consoles are different between the early and later 'Birds. (Not too noticeable, but enough to see the differences if you looked really close). Tamiya captured this little detail...

Once this was taken care of, I finished the detail painting and installed the pilot's control sticks. If you look close at the cockpit on the right of this picture below, it is the later F8.

The next step was to install the cockpit tubs into the fuselages

Then I glued on the elevator assemblies...

I wanted to ensure there wasn't a gap along the wing root. Since these are Tamiya kits, the possibility is very slim since the parts normally fit rather well. Just to be safe, I decided to glue the upper half of the wings in position first. This eliminated any possibilities of gaps here.

Following the upper wing installation, I decided to go ahead and glue on the upper cowling where the MG's were mounted. Here again, there is a difference between the early A3 / A4 and the later F8 versions.

This is the early A3 / A4

The bulges are more prominent on the later F8 as seen here in this picture below.

This last photo shows how the Wurger assembly line looks now...

Hopefully tomorrow I can install the lower wing halves and get some other bits done.

Maybe I should change the name of the shop to the Wurger Werks ? In place of the Iron Works ? Just for this build... 🙂

As usual, comments are encouraged...

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 6 years, 2 months ago:

Well, Wurger Werks works for me. Louis, you are a force of nature and an inspiration!

• Profile Photo
    Tom Bebout said 6 years, 2 months ago:

Das Wurger Werks seems to be up and running well. Louis you have got to be running out of display space. Those cases you have can only hold so many you know. What's your plan?

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 6 years, 2 months ago:

I'm really looking forward to the painting Louis - there are such possibilities here! 'Black double chevron' is a great choice for one of these. The idea of 4 different birds shaping up is fantastic (again).

• Profile Photo
    David A. Thomas said 6 years, 2 months ago:

This is going to be awesome!

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 6 years, 2 months ago:

Man - I so envy your ability to stack up so many subjects on your bench and knock them out so quickly!

• Profile Photo
    Jeff Bailey said 6 years, 2 months ago:

Greg - he's a machine, all right!

Iron Works, Wurger Werks - no matter whatchya call it: it's all good!

• Profile Photo

David,
    Well, "Wurger Werks" it is ... Works wonderfully well... 🙂 🙂 Nice play on words... Love it. 🙂

Tom,
    I have been wanting to get busy on these four FW-190 planes , so I guess my enthusiasm has poured into the build.

As far as the display cases go, I was fortunate enough to find a "well worn" used one at a thrift shop several years ago for a very reasonable price. So I just couldn't pass it up... The display case was sitting idle in my shop until shortly after I retired. Then I did a full on restoration of it, (had to replace all of the wood) and added some more glass shelving to allow it to hold more planes.

Here's how it looked at the beginning of last year:

Since then I have added some more completed builds in it, but there is still a ton of room left. The 1/48 Monogram PBY is a shelf hog though... 🙂

Hey Paul,
    Yes the painting is what was a deciding factor to start four of them. I am definitely making a JG 54 plane out of one, and a JG 1 machine with a white and black striped cowl out of another. Then the "Black Chevron" one will be in overall Sand RLM 79 over the original RLM 76 under sides. The last one is still up for grabs... I haven't decided just yet how to paint it... Thanks for the compliments my friend.

Thanks David ! I appreciate the words of encouragement...

Greg, I guess sometimes I get lucky and things happen the way you want them too. It doesn't always work that way though... I have a certain A-20 that has been stalled for quite some time... I lost the "mojo" on that one.

Thanks Jeff, my fellow tanker buddy...

Up next I have another update from tonight's progress:

• Profile Photo

As promised here's tonight's progress... Unfortunately, I didn't get to spend as much time out in the hobby shop as I originally had planned.

I was curious about what color to paint the cooling fan... Luckily I found this wonderful picture online that shows an unrestored original... To me it looks like the fan is RLM 66 dark gray.

Then it was time to start spraying some paint !

First up was RLM 02... It was used in the landing gear wells and various other places. The Germans used this color much like the US did with Zinc Chromate.

Here's a picture of the plastic trees after I finished the painting.

Here's a close up of the main landing gear covers.

Next up was the RLM 76 which is a Light Blue. It was used as a color for the undersides on many Luftwaffe aircraft. This photo shows the outer sides of the main gear doors finished...

This picture shows the bottom of the wings after spraying. The F-8 wing is in the upper left corner.

Next up, while the paint was drying, I painted the exhaust stacks using a special mix of Model Master Metalizer paints I brewed up. The center of the photo shows the under fuselage exhaust pipes ready for installation. The main gear wells are also shown here, and are ready to be glued in place.

In this last photo, you can see the wing sections as they look at the moment... The wheel wells and exhaust have been installed. Now I'm waiting on the paint to fully dry. In this last photo, the F-8 wing is on the lower right.

I'll leave them set overnight, and get busy again tomorrow if things go as planned.

• Profile Photo
    Michel Verschuere said 6 years, 2 months ago:

Very nice Louis! Following with interest, can't wait to see that display case filled!