1/48 Tamiya Fw-190 A4 , JG 2 Nord Afrika

Started by Louis Gardner · 161 · 5 years ago · 1/48, FW-190, Kasserine Pass, Tamiya
  • Profile Photo
    George Williams said 6 years, 2 months ago:

I'm really enjoying this build from the recently re-named Wurger Werks, Louis. For some weird reason I've suddenly got an urge to build some WWII German planes, not sure why, but that's what this hobby is all about. Naturally, a FW 190 is a must, along with a BF 109, ME 262 and a Stuka. It's an interesting project coming into these models like a beginner. Although there have been many kits issued of these over the years by most manufacturers not so many are currently available (at least not here in China). I've got of a Tamiya FW 190 and ME 262 to start with, the new Tamiya BF 109 should be available here after the Chinese new year holiday (the country virtually closes down for a month), but the Airfix Stuka has so far been difficult to track down. Looking forward to the next instalment from the Wurger Werks.

• Profile Photo
    Gary Wiley said 6 years, 2 months ago:

I just read through this to catch up. It looks like a lot of work and a lot of fun. I finally broke down and recently bought that very Tamiya kit. It's been too long since I built a German plane, but now I'm inspired. I just wish I had more bench time.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 6 years, 2 months ago:

Michel,
    If I get busy enough, the display case may fill up quickly... 🙂 Thanks for the words of encouragement my friend. Your Tiger is really looking great ...

Thank you George.
    I too have been itching to build something German... Tomorrow my ICM 1/48 scale He-111 should arrive. I have been really looking forward to getting that one... 🙂

For some reason I don't think it will stay sitting idle in the stash too long. I have been strongly considering building both the He-111 and a the ICM Dornier Do-17Z very soon. Both are 1/48 scale kits. I have the Do-17Z kit and recently took it out of the "to build" pile and was drooling over the plastic.

That new Tamiya Bf-109 looks pretty sweet too ! Unfortunately I haven't been able to get a new Airfix Ju-87 yet either. These two are definitely on the wish list...(the 109 and the Ju-87)... If one ever shows up at the Hobby Town in Sanford I will be leaving with it tucked away in a nice little plastic shopping bag...

Thanks Gary ! This FW set has been an absolute joy to build so far. The fit and finish are spot on. No filler has been needed yet. I have been very careful to check everything prior to gluing parts together. A few swipes with a sanding stick here and there has ensured a very good fitting kit.

I hope tonight's posting will help inspire you a little more... 🙂

I can remember in the past when I too had very little (or no) time for building anything. I guess that's partially why I am going at this with such enthusiasm now.

Thanks again gents for the kind words...

• Profile Photo

Today I managed to get some more done on the Butcher Birds...

Prior to gluing the lower wing half in place on the F-8 kit, I did some research. I have been planning on building this one as an A-8 version, which can be done out of the box. I found out that some of the 190 A8's did not have the square wing bulges in place on the upper wing. The kit instructions would have you open the holes in the upper wing to install this part, shown below in this picture:

Here is where the square bulges would normally go. I am pointing at the location with a wooden pick. If I decide to add the square wing bulges at a later time I still can do it. This way I have options...

After deciding not to install the square upper wing bulges, I opened the hole for the ETC 500 fuselage centerline rack.

Once the ETC rack was glued in place, I installed the lower wing halves on all four planes...The A8 / F8 is on the right side of this picture below.

Next step was to build up the cowling assemblies. The early A3 / A4 planes had a different cowl and oil cooler that was mounted on the very front. The oil cooler looks like a big round ring that goes completely around the engine opening.

The later A8 / F8 had an armored oil cooler, and the cowling latches were configured a little differently. Tamiya captured this rather nicely. It a very small detail, but if you look close, it's there.

Here's a close up of the early A3 / A4 style cowl, shown in this picture below.

Followed by the A8 / F8 version:

Lastly, here's a picture showing the four FW's as they look at the moment. The cowls have simply been pushed in position for painting and are held on by friction.

The A8 / F8 plane is in the upper right hand side of the photo.

After a few swipes to clean up some glue that squished out of the seams in a few spots, these guys are ready for the spray booth... No filler was needed.

Please stay tuned for future updates.

As usual,
    comments are encouraged.

• Profile Photo
    David A. Thomas said 6 years, 2 months ago:

Envy

'nuff said...

• Profile Photo

Thanks for your kind and helpful comments, Louis, I received Tamiya's ME 262 and FW 190 F8/9 kits today, they both look great. I didn't know about th ICM kits, I'll try and find out if I they are available here. It's interesting to see the four 190s together in your pictures. I can understand how you keep on top of each build by keeping them in their boxes with a list of work done, but, here they are loose, I don't how you can tell them apart very easily! Anwway, they are looking good, can't wait to see more progress.

• Profile Photo

Hello George.
    Those are very nice kits you mentioned. I'm using the FW-190 F8 kit for one of these builds. It goes together like a dream. You can build an A-8 version using the parts in the box. I still have yet to build the Me-262 but I have a few in the stash. One 262 is in the build pile with a build journal started on it though, so I am getting closer.

David and George,
    I'm glad you guys liked the Heinkel He-111 kit review I did last night. The 1/48 ICM Dornier Do-17Z is just as nice. I plan on doing a review on the Do-17Z in a day or so.

The A8 / F8 is easy to tell from the others because of the upper fuselage bulges and armored oil cooler are different from the others. As far as the A3's go, so far they are the same. Next step is when they get a little different. I have to modify the antennae mast on the tip of the fin to make the A3 into an early / mid A4 variant. Once I do this then these will take on a different look too.

Back when I did the four Hasegawa Hellcats, I used "post it" notes on the wings to tell them apart. But keeping the builds in their respective boxes with a few notes really does help...

Yesterday my free time was spent on the He-111 kit review. Today I have been doing some research and trying to locate original photos of the overall RLM 79 colored FW's. So far it has not been very successful.

The only things I have found so far are persons describing how Rudorffer's plane was painted. All of the pictures I have found show 190's that appear to be in the standard European scheme of RLM 74 / 75 / 76 that were flown in North Africa.

Only two such FW's I have found so far were known to have been painted in RLM 79 over 76. Rudorferr's 6 JG 2 "Yellow 1" and another plane was flown by Erpro 19. The Erpro plane may have been "White 1", and I think it was a ground attack plane. It has the tropical air filters too. Here's an artists illustration for it. The pictures I found of this plane match the illustration.

The problem is that now I am not sure if this plane was used in the Kasserine Pass Theater. This one may have been used farther east against the British instead. I need to do some more research to confirm this.

The artist's illustration of Black Chevron may not have existed. But the jury is still out on that one...

If anyone has some pictures out there I would certainly appreciate them.

Thanks

• Profile Photo

Today I did some work on the small parts, and also started some seam work. Here's a few pictures showing the progress...

I sprayed the tip of one spinner white. After if had sufficiently dried, I masked it off then started spraying on the RLM 70 Dunkelgrun color. I sprayed all four spinners.

Since the propellers on Focke Wulfs (and most German A/C from WW2) were painted in the same color, I sprayed them as well. Here's everything drying now... Two of the props were broken off the plastic trees, so I improvised with wooden sticks.

Next I sprayed the wheel hubs with Gloss Black. They are drying now too...

After I cleaned the air brush, I changed colors to RLM 66 Schwarzgrau. I used this color to spray the engine cooling fans, and the engine crankcase on the BMW 801's. Here's how they look at the moment.

Then I turned my attention to the tip of the fin and started sanding away the A3 style antennae cable lead mount. I had it sanded away in no time. Now I need to go through various grits of progressively finer sand paper to polish out the sanding marks. Once this is done, I will fabricate a new antennae tip that was used on all of the later FW series planes.

Now the A3 is looking more like an early / mid A4 Bird.

The last thing done today was to start getting the glue seams ready for painting. Tamiya kindly molded the seams in a manner where they fell on actual panel lines for most areas. One place that still has a little seam is under the rear fuselage.

The fit was so good that no filler has been needed so far. I have been able to polish the seam to where it is invisible. Here's a photo showing the results.

I will be working on seams later tonight, and I may possibly assemble the props and paint the engines.

I still don't know what I will do about the painting on "Black Chevron".

I really didn't want to scratch build a set of tropical air filters for one of the A4's. I did find out that "White one" from Epro 19 was a Tropicalized version and it also served in Libya. So it would not be proper for a Kasserine Pass plane...

As usual, comments are encouraged.

• Profile Photo

After dinner I went back to work on the Wurgers.

I brush painted the cylinders with Model Master "Metalizer" magnesium buffing metalizer. Once it dried I gave the engines an oil wash to bring out the details.

Next I started working on the propellers. I painted the hubs using Aluminum Plate buffing metallizer. Then it was simply a matter of gluing the props to the engine fans. Once that wa completed I topped it off with the spinners.

The wheel hubs are dry now since I painted them gloss black. They look pretty good and can be seen much better in this picture below. A little sanding around the mold seam and they too will be ready for paint.

I may do some more work tonight. If not I'll try to get some more work done tomorrow.

Please stay tuned for updates.

As usual comments are encouraged.

• Profile Photo
    Andreas Fey said 6 years, 2 months ago:

Nice work! Keep going!

• Profile Photo

Thanks Andreas.

I have not completely gotten over this cold... The last two days I felt bad again, so it reflected on my model making productivity. So I took some time off from the "Wurger Works".

Today I felt a little better, so I got back to business.

I wanted to get the landing gear done, so that once the planes were painted, I could finish them up rather quickly.

Work began on the tail wheel for the A8 / F8 plane. They are all the same in the kits. No difference between the early A3 or the later F8 as far as the molding by Tamiya goes. This was "probably" an interchangeable part throughout the entire line of FW's.

I painted the wheel hub gloss black. Touched up the RLM 02 on the strut after I removed a tiny molding seam. The last thing was to paint the tire. Here's how it turned out.

The main landing gear received the same treatment with the mold seam removal. Once that was done, I touched up the struts, the gave the shock portion a wrap with "Ultra Bright" Bare Metal Foil. The main wheels had a tiny mold seam that ran around the circumference of the tire. Once I sanded that away, and cleaned out the tire grooves, I painted the tire.

Here you can see the results... This landing gear set is for the later A8 / F8 plane.

In hindsight, I probably should have not glued the wheels on until I had the landing gear legs permanently installed. The 190's had a funky wheel angle compared to the strut. I temporarily mocked the struts in place, and got the wheels where I thought they should be. But now I wonder...

I am not going to glue the wheels on the other planes until it's time. (once the struts are installed)...

I turned my attentions to the other remaining tail wheel assemblies, and painted the hubs gloss black. I also started sanding away the mold seams on the main wheels. I even painted a tire on one...

Here's how the tire looks now. I still have to take care of the mold seams on the other struts and tail wheel tires. Maybe tomorrow.

Calling it an early night.

Comments are encouraged...

• Profile Photo
    Tom Bebout said 6 years, 2 months ago:

I see the rubber is about ready to meet the road Louis. Nice progress from the Werks.

• Profile Photo

It's all this detail work that makes the difference, Louis, and will eventually make the final assembly that much easier as well. Sorry to hear that you haven't shaken off that cold, my Dad (bless his soul) always said that the cure for a cold is a bottle of whiskey and a large blonde (in his dreams, anyway) my mother was a petite brunette...

• Profile Photo

Thanks Tom !

George, your Dad's "cure all" for the cold sounds interesting, but I seriously doubt my wife would find the cure acceptable ... 🙂

I'm feeling better today, and hope to do some more work ...

• Profile Photo
    David A. Thomas said 6 years, 2 months ago:

Louis, this is fabulous work and I concur with the glowing comments. Get well, friend! I'm wrestling with a bit of a cold myself. Such is the season!