Accurate Miniatures F-6A Mustang Tac-Recce 1/48

Started by Tom Bebout · 36 · 6 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Tom Bebout said 6 years, 5 months ago:

No luck on a nose for the Bf-110 as of late so this one will be the next in line. Not a lot of work left on the Spit so I've washed this Mustang off and have her next in line. Built several AM Mustangs, they were/are nice little kits with a fair amount of detail. Really sad they went belly up. Will add the TD seat with hardness and some wheels as well. Have to check and see if an exhause is still available from TD or Ultracast.

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Robert Royes said 6 years, 5 months ago:

Ah, an Allison Mustang, great choice!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 6 years, 5 months ago:

I'm with Robert on this one... Allison Mustang. 🙂
    Sorry to hear about the Bf-110. I think Bernard Hackett said he had a parts kit (or parts) a little while back. Maybe he can help with the 110 ?

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 6 years, 5 months ago:

Yeah, it got warm hereabouts, and I haven't been able to get into the attic. Keep your fingers crossed. It's getting cool next week.

• Profile Photo

The Accurate Min Mustangs are nice, though the prop blades are a little thick. The instructions also leave a little to be desired. Blades vary, depending on which version. Ultracast makes a conversion for RAF/RCAF Mustangs, part of it is thinner prop blades. It is # 48031.

• Profile Photo
    David A. Thomas said 6 years, 5 months ago:

Tom, the Medallion thing I am shooting your way also has a prop with it...FYI

• Profile Photo
    Jeff Bailey said 6 years, 5 months ago:

Sounds interesting. I didn't realize there was a P-51A kit available. How 'bout a P-51H tall-tail version? Any available?

Nonetheless, this looks like a great kit, Tom! I look forward to seeing more about this F6A project.

• Profile Photo

Jeff, both are sorta available, on the second hand market, at this point. Accurate Miniatures had the Allison engined Mustang as a series, A-36 dive bomber, and cannon and machine gun armed versions. They are out of business, and I don't know who has the molds currently.
    Classic Airframes had the P-51H, and they, too are out of business. E-bay or someone on this site might be able to help. Good luck!

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 6 years, 5 months ago:

It was Accurate Miniatures that first provided the Allison powered Mustangs in this scale if memory serves me correctly in the early 90's. Italeri has the molds and have started to release them in their boxings. Don't recall if all the Mustangs have been repopped but it's good to know that they may eventually. So far I have seen the Avenger and the Dauntless repopped.

• Profile Photo

Got a little modeling time in this weekend. Set the Spit aside for painting and began some work on the Allison Mustang. Attached the nose section contrary to when the instructions stated when you should do it. Wanted to make sure they aligned well. Went with the decal behind the clear instrument panel. Placed some drops of liquid mask over the dials, then painted the panel and removed the masks. Did some dry brushing on the dial faces as well. I added an Ultracast seat to the cockpit and with all the parts painted did a wash using Future, water and brown acrylic paint. Should be able to attach all the parts soon and then both will go to the paint booth. I also was able to cut the canopy as to display her with an open canopy.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Jeff Bailey said 6 years, 5 months ago:

Coming along great, Tom!

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 6 years, 5 months ago:

Looking good!

• Profile Photo

That is beautiful detailing, Thomas. I'm excited for more progress!

• Profile Photo

Time to close this puppy up and get her ready for some paint. Had to use a small amount of putty on the spine and along the left wing root. Nothing serious, parts fit quite well, most likely operator head space was the cause.Took some time to ensure the cockpit was level and aligned with the left side. Attached the bottom wing per instructions then glued the wing tops on. Good practice for the Tuskegee P-51C I want to do in the near future. Anyway she's starting to look like a P-51.

7 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Tom, that cockpit...yow. Really nice work there!